Would You Fight For Thailand?

RustBucket

Let's say that Thailand was dragged into war with a neighboring country...

To truly answer the hypothesis I would have to know WHY. Is it an ideological war? Political? A war to support corporate access? Very few 'wars' improve the lot of the common citizen and I would definitely not fight a war of ideology, nor a war for politicians or corporations...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To truly answer the hypothesis I would have to know WHY. Is it an ideological war? Political? A war to support corporate access? Very few 'wars' improve the lot of the common citizen and I would definitely not fight a war of ideology, nor a war for politicians or corporations...

In what country do they ask soldiers if they agree with the war?

• Like 1

First, I think this topic was posted about a year ago......my answer has not changed.

I do not care about citizenship.

I do not get involved in this country's politics.

I have always been an pacifistic and believe wars are for getting rich people richer at the cost of the poor.

BUT, if my wife and child were in danger, I would fight to protect them.

End of story.

Edited by willyumiii

In what country do they ask soldiers if they agree with the war?
Uhm, any country without conscription...

I can't think of any countries who under severe threat did not have conscription. I believe all the major powers in WWII did. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to a country threatened with annihilation did not employ conscription.

The original hypothesis was Thailand being dragged into war and would you fight.... no idea where u have come up with severe threat or bleedin' annihilation. And absolutely no way expats are being conscripted... My needing to know the reason for the 'war' is basic and rational. Since I would never volunteer for the armed forces of my own country without just cause I would apply the same reasoning here.

The OP ... Would you fight for Thailand ... My answer Yes - I would. And I have done it before.

If anyone would like to read about my story related to my answer that I would fight for Thailand. Then please send me a PM

In short: No

A bit longer: I am a convinced pacifist and would not fight for any country or nation, not even the one I was born in.. Would I fight for an idea? Ah, there is an idea!

All my family has another passport so we would probably leave if there were an open and armed conflict here. Anyway, the Thai wouldn't stand a chance with over 1,000 fat belly generals against a determined and well trained foreign army with actual soldiers.

A bit longer: I am a convinced pacifist and would not fight for any country or nation, not even the one I was born in.. Would I fight for an idea? Ah, there is an idea!

All my family has another passport so we would probably leave if there were an open and armed conflict here. Anyway, the Thai wouldn't stand a chance with over 1,000 fat belly generals against a determined and well trained foreign army with actual soldiers.

Thailand 700 tanks 100 Jet fighters

Laos 50 Tanks 25 Jet fighters

Cambodia 76 Tanks 21 Jet fighters

Aw come on now......

What type of weapons would be dished out? Are we able to form units based on speed, strength, and nationality? Are we fighting pushovers of battle hardened Khmer Rogue or Shan State narco-armies? Do we get to retreat to Thailand for R & R? Can we hammer Jim Morrison in the chopper? You're opening up a can of worms that has the ability to knock down, a slippery slope.

What type of weapons would be dished out? Are we able to form units based on speed, strength, and nationality? Are we fighting pushovers of battle hardened Khmer Rogue or Shan State narco-armies? Do we get to retreat to Thailand for R & R? Can we hammer Jim Morrison in the chopper? You're opening up a can of worms that has the ability to knock down, a slippery slope.

Check the four armed forces it's really no comparison. In the area Thailand and Vietnam have large modern armed forces. Laos and Cambodia don't.

I would fight only for my own country.

And why limit it to age 30's? For those of us who have handled rifles all of our lives and hunted and practiced many, many thousands of rounds, know how to disguise ourselves, know how to move around without been seen or smelled even by cagy wild animals...

I could kill 20 of them before they even knew where I was.

Thais?tongue.png

Wow TVF is such a novel place.., The title of the Thread is Would you fight FOR Thailand? The poster you are responding to ... was posting in the alignment with the topic thread title... Your jokesterism is a bit off center.. Maybe a few more years of maturity will help you gain a better perspective of what you read... and help you make an appropriate response...

I would like to ask a question. Is this topic thread about something of remote reality or is it something like the TVF version of a video game? Serious question ... because it seems very difficult to discern the difference.

My grandad was in the Thai army so I do wonder if I would make him proud if I did fight for Thailand. If my family in Rayong and suphan buri in real danger, then I would definitely fight.

I don't think I would have the choice to begin with haha

Edited by Ws93

Thailand 700 tanks 100 Jet fighters

Laos 50 Tanks 25 Jet fighters

Cambodia 76 Tanks 21 Jet fighters

Aw come on now......

laos and cambodia didnt let bother them much a few decades ago

I would never move one finger for this country

then kindly <deleted> off home

Why?

This is an expat forum.

Most members here are foreigners who are not permanent residents or citizens.

Thailand isn't very open to actual immigrants anyway.

Why would it be logical for such FOREIGNERS to fight for a FOREIGN country? Thailand, or anywhere?

Do you think Thais expect that of FOREIGNERS?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'd fight just for the destiny of it, better a death in battle than old age etc. Ideally I'd prefer to fight in Europe for but I'm only there part of the year.

So yes, but not out of subservience or glowing radiance for Thailand.

I can tell you that unless there's an invasion of apocalyptic proportions Thais would despise foreigners being involved in any fight.

Thais have historically been wary of foreigners with powerful weapons, during the Siege of Ayuthaya they sent away a farang warship with cannons that could have broken the siege and driven off the Burmese.

I definitely wouldn't fight for Thailand, and would treat their offer of citizenship with the disdain it deserves.

I have already saved the life of two Thais by paying hundreds of thousands in hospital bills, am raising two and supporting others.

They should probably consider me a national hero, but alas....

Why did you pay hundreds of thousands in hospital bills for two Thais, are raising two and supporting others? Just curious as that would be a strange attitude to have if they were members of your own family, because I certainly would not considering raising my kids as raising three Thais and I do not understand what you mean by supporting others? In which way are you giving them support? Just curious because it all sounds rather weird.

Nothing curious or weird about Farangs supporting Thai Family,it's common place, happens all the time!

That's what is so weird about it. ;)

• Like 1

I definitely wouldn't fight for Thailand, and would treat their offer of citizenship with the disdain it deserves.

I have already saved the life of two Thais by paying hundreds of thousands in hospital bills, am raising two and supporting others.

They should probably consider me a national hero, but alas....

Why did you pay hundreds of thousands in hospital bills for two Thais, are raising two and supporting others? Just curious as that would be a strange attitude to have if they were members of your own family, because I certainly would not considering raising my kids as raising three Thais and I do not understand what you mean by supporting others? In which way are you giving them support? Just curious because it all sounds rather weird.

Nothing curious or weird about Farangs supporting Thai Family,it's common place, happens all the time!

That's what is so weird about it. wink.png

Yep! back in our own Countries we don't even support our own aged Parents,let alone somone elses parents!

Why?

This is an expat forum.

Why would it be logical for such FOREIGNERS to fight for a FOREIGN country? Thailand, or anywhere?

Thailand makes treaty's with foreign governments that commit those governments to fight for Thailand. Why would you find this unusual?

• Like 1

Why?

This is an expat forum.

Thailand makes treaty's with foreign governments that commit those governments to fight for Thailand. Why would you find this unusual?

I know my country has a treaty to defend Thailand.

Why?

This is an expat forum.

Oh please, are you havin' a laugh?

The question has NOTHING to do with treaties.

It's directed OBVIOUSLY at independent expats here in Thailand. Would THEY personally fight. Nothing about their governments or their government's armies. Of course if you're in a non-Thai army and your government gives orders, you go anywhere including Thailand.

The question does touch on foreigners who are not immigrants here in the legal sense LOYALTY to the abstraction of the Thai nation. I have none and would expect NONE from foreigners with my legal status in my home country towards there as well. It's only LOGICAL.

Duh and double duh.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1