My Loi Krathong story.

Costas2008

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We put up one of those flying lanterns. Are we now marked for death? About 500 more were sent up, on our street alone. I am willing to point fingers in return for a lighter sentence. However, many tourists were doing the same thing as well, with police watching.

Two and a half hours to drive 3 kilometers, in Chiang Mai (kept getting blocked, before I realized I could just go around the canal and end up in the south east corner. A car pulled out just near Loi Kroh, and we had a great parking spot. Trouble was, lanterns were too wet to go up. A few did.

We soon tired of the lanterns and fireworks, and found a cozy bar to drink some beer. My wife doesn't drink, so she got me home safely. The bar turned out to be good fun....more so than trying to heat up wet lanterns.

My wife wanted to do it again, tonight. I said no. Thank goodness for the rain.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

After a fair amount of rain during the day, things cleared up at night and we were able stroll down to the pond to launch our Krathongs under a full moon, only lightly veiled by wispy clouds. From there we walked out to the front field where we watched our lantern rise dutifully to the heavens. It was quiet, peaceful and romantic.

• Like 1

Bloody anti-climax, Costa. I thiught you were going to tell us that you threw your wife into the lake. And then bought lottery tickets on the number of times she yelled help before she went under.

Or at least a love scene Costas.

• Like 1

these are beautiful hoildays, but...

i find myself increasingly unable to deal with the crowds. just too many people over here with loud voices, unable to relax and talking non-stop.

the thais appear to be having a good time. but most foreigners i see at public holiday venues just want to get out, or experience it and leave.

• Like 1

We put our flower in the Canal with many others. 2 Metres further down a group of guys in a dingy was catching them and destroying them looking for the 5 Baht coin people put inside.In clear full view of everyone.No-one seemed to care,I warned them to leave ours alone.....Once again I'm doing and thinking different to those around me.

Bang Saen Beach Banned the lanterns and kept announcing it over the loud speakers. What a joke of a night.

They could have opened the night market one day early but that would have made to much sense. We went to the roof and watched the lanterns fly from miles away. very awesome sight.

Unfortunately If you are going to have a relationship with a Thai lady then this is all part of " The Loving Relationship " Although it sounds like you are " paying for everything " in your relationship? if so " why " ? I would of not gone in a car to drive 3 KM down the road!! why not walk? take a torch,i appreciate that some of the roads are not good but really driving 3 KM especially with the amount of cars and people about when you could of walked! ( and so much more " romantic " ... ) wub.png

this year was much more enjoyable than last year. I don't care how much your gf huffs and puffs and throws a tantrum, do not under any circumstance goto Asiatique for loh krathong like I did last year. she got all excited about asiatique and no doubt she heard about it from co workers as they cackled like hens with delight.

the crowds started at the BTS and a man with a megaphone said the line for the boat to asiatique was so long that you wouldn't get there until tomorrow morning. the traffic was so bad getting a taxi was useless and the line for motorbikes stretched for miles. so off we walked through millions of people pushing and shoving our way on the sidewalk...absolutely pouring sweat and dodging motorbikes on the sidewalk, and after 2 hours of walking to get there we made it.

once we got there she insisted on some overpriced krathong and after about 7 thousand photos with the iphone we were finally ready to get this thing in the water.

• Like 1

once we again pushed our way through the thai mobs, we finally got to someone with a long pole to put the krathong down into the river. it was quickly whisked away under the pier by the current, along with every single other persons.

this was seriously the most underwhelming experience I probably ever had.

my biggest question was who is going to clean up this mess? nothing like praying to the river gods by putting garbage in the rivers and lakes and hoping the government cleans it up. thai holidays suck.

at least this year was BETTER.

• Like 1

Unfortunately If you are going to have a relationship with a Thai lady then this is all part of " The Loving Relationship " Although it sounds like you are " paying for everything " in your relationship? if so " why " ? I would of not gone in a car to drive 3 KM down the road!! why not walk? take a torch,i appreciate that some of the roads are not good but really driving 3 KM especially with the amount of cars and people about when you could of walked! ( and so much more " romantic " ... ) wub.png

Canarysun. Just try walking 3 Ks with the same physical appearance as Costas, he knows what I mean.

• Like 1

Call me a boring old fart with a considerate wife. She gave me the option and after declining trotted off with a krathong and the 2 kids for a couple of hours at the local festivities. For me a nice break staying in the A/C catching up on an episode of Sherlock with some cheese and crackers and a red wine (albiet, a cheap Aussie red). A very pleasant evening.

• Like 2

Most Thai festivals the same. I suggest you either accept that, enjoy it or don't attend. Costas was it really that bad and the 100Baht Kathrong that expensive?

How much did your dinner cost? Did you leave a coin as a tip for the waitress?

Regards from PEAP( the "Non Winger".)

I had a very nice evening on Thursday night, A walk round the park next to the river and a big pond, with Mrs Possum, plenty of people, no traffic jams, nice peaceful atmosphere, eating popcorn and ice cream, talking to vendors and policemen, everybody happy and enjoying themselves.

Yes, it was a beautiful evening. Try going a bit earlier next year Costas.

• Like 2

We put up one of those flying lanterns. Are we now marked for death? About 500 more were sent up, on our street alone. I am willing to point fingers in return for a lighter sentence. However, many tourists were doing the same thing as well, with police watching.

Two and a half hours to drive 3 kilometers, in Chiang Mai (kept getting blocked, before I realized I could just go around the canal and end up in the south east corner. A car pulled out just near Loi Kroh, and we had a great parking spot. Trouble was, lanterns were too wet to go up. A few did.

We soon tired of the lanterns and fireworks, and found a cozy bar to drink some beer. My wife doesn't drink, so she got me home safely. The bar turned out to be good fun....more so than trying to heat up wet lanterns.

My wife wanted to do it again, tonight. I said no. Thank goodness for the rain.

I left my car at the condo in the city and used a song tiaw.

Who says piracy is dead? Nothing less than 100baht, to Thae Pae gate and trying to get out of Thae Pae Rd, some insisted (and didn't get) 200baht from Thae Pae gate to Kad Suan Keow. Yes, the traffic was bad on the way out, but only for a few minutes.

I hope the tuk-tuk driver who insisted on 220baht to KSK is still waiting for a sucker.

However, the procession and the work they put in was worth the hassle, plus watching the fire lanterns. A great annual event. clap2.gif

• Like 2