Koh Samet

lyn

Can anyone advise what the beaches are like now on Koh Samet after the oil spills last year? Not been there since 2001- any suggestions on best choice of beach and accommodation there?

Also thinking of going to Koh Chang - best choice of beach and accommodation there?

Would it be sensible to book a room before arriving or lots of availability beginning of December 2014?

It happened after I was there last year, but people tell me it only affected one beach (Ao Phrao) on the west coast.

Web search seems to confirm this.

Not been there since 2001

Mmmm, you could be in for quite a shock in several ways. I could go on and on about the details of why I say that, but my take is that if you cherish your memory of it from 2001 then it may be wiser to head to a new island. Others may disagree strongly with my view, so stick around for second and third opinions. My first visit was at the end of the 90s and I've visited several times since, the latest being last year, during which I really felt like the sun had once and for all set on my visits to Samet (I'd said this to myself several times, but last year really did feel like I was flogging a dead horse now, to use a British saying). Various things put the nails in the coffin for me, last year. Being fair, various changes along the way over the years on Samet are welcome, but so many only made me feel less and less charmed by the island with each subsequent visit. Comparing to bigger islands down south, it could be said that Samet has 'relatively' changed little compared to changes on bigger islands in the same time frame, but the changes are enough that you'd notice a big difference from your 2001 visit. For any first time visitors, I'm sure that without the weight of past memorys weighing them down, they would love Samet.

I can't help with Samet, but as mentioned above, I'm sure the changes since 2001 have been significant. For me, the loss of that beautiful beach all the way down at the bottom of the island is a big deal. Was one of my favorite places and hardly anybody was ever there. Now, it's a resort.

Same can be said of KC. Massive development there. Luckily, right now, tourism is at an all time low. I doubt you'll have any problems finding a room, as long as it isn't a major Thai holiday. Mid week is your best bet for availability and good prices.

On KC, I quite like KC Grande Resort. The beach is really nice at that end of White Sands Beach. And plenty of restaurants nearby. But there are many options on the island.

Ao Vongduean Beach was totally unaffected by the spill

If you have not been since 2001 you may get a shock at the prices, if you like a drink then I would advise you to buy your own whisky on the mainland and buy ice and mixers at whatever bar you are drinking at, that's what I do anyway

As mentioned above Dec is busy so I would look at booking now