Pink Floyd Just Made History One Last Time

Lite Beer

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth. They came from a time when everyone was before their time. Can anyone recall the 14 minute "Innagaddadevida" by Iron Butterfly? Different genre but same fortitude. Or closer to home Jethro Tull and "Broadsword".

Innagaddadevida was groundbreaking. I had front row side seats at the shed at Tanglewood in 1969...when the drummer played a solo for 20 minutes. The entire audience was entranced.

Went to see Cream (in NY), Iron Butterfly was the supporting act.

Who, in those days, went on second.

This was a plush theater and we had front row seats.

The velvet curtains opened and there were the massive Marshall stacks

We the stared at them for what seemed like an eternity and then, the curtains closed.

The announcment came that Cream was snowed in somewhere else.

Iron Butterfly would play a extended show.

After two songs of about 15 minutes each, it was time to bail.

And most of the house did.

P.S. For us, drum solos were always the cue to go take a leak. wink.png

I only ever stayed for three; John Bonham, Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by iReason

Innagaddadevida was groundbreaking. I had front row side seats at the shed at Tanglewood in 1969...when the drummer played a solo for 20 minutes. The entire audience was entranced.

Amazing what entertains teenagers and young adults stoned on pot. But Iron Butterfly's classic tune does not hold up so well over time. Better to listen to Ginger Baker play his drum solos.

For what it is worth. They came from a time when everyone was before their time. Can anyone recall the 14 minute "Innagaddadevida" by Iron Butterfly? Different genre but same fortitude. Or closer to home Jethro Tull and "Broadsword".

During my college days I saw Iron Butterfly perform in a small club in the San Fernando Valley (a suburb of Los Angeles) in about 1966/67 before they were known. They were just an unknown band playing at various small clubs. The psychedelic era. I can still remember the club with the backlights, etc.

Can anyone recall the 14 minute "Innagaddadevida" by Iron Butterfly?

I prefer "Get Ready" by Rare Earth... intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuIGo8W93KU

From a time when people made music. Imagine the same spirit with todays tech. The same guys cannot do it though, it has to be new ones. As much as we all want to we cannot deny the future.

Grey power......proves people stay stuck forever in there youth, yes i liked them way back then bit there sound is tired and out dated....please retire.

I stopped appreciating them as soon as I stopped doing large amounts of drugs and that was in the early 70s.

I saw the division bell tour twice- at Earls Court and Versailles. Two completely different concerts, and both spectacular. The old Waters/ Gilmour argument will always come up, and this album isn't by any means new, just previously unreleased from the Gilmour era. Fwiw, I tend to agree with Gilmour that the content for Animals was getting a bit old, and I think the stuff they did with Gilmour had a lot of value, and of course- never forget Sid. Shine on you crazy diamond!

I too went to the Earls Court concert.

It does not seem like 20years ago.

What a night . I think it was the best concert I have been to and I've been to a few.

Still got the t-shirt.

• Like 2

During my college days I saw Iron Butterfly perform in a small club in the San Fernando Valley (a suburb of Los Angeles) in about 1966/67 before they were known. They were just an unknown band playing at various small clubs. The psychedelic era. I can still remember the club with the backlights, etc.

I saw Iron Butterfly at a holistic health fair in San Francisco it the early 80s when they were totally irrelevant. They played "Innagaddadevida" over and over again all day long. It is the only decent song they ever had, but I still like it to this day.

• Like 1

One tale the band told in an interview, was about Sid. They were rehearsing for a concert, and were playing Shine on you crazy diamond. As they finished they looked up. At the back was a figure just turning away to leave. One of them said "Was that Sid?"

A short n sweet write up on Floyd's new album here in the NZ Herald...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11354939

Though this won't interest the honest, law-abiding folk on TV, I just checked the pirate hangout, and the album is aleady available for downloading. But you didn't hear that from me.

• Like 1

I saw the division bell tour twice- at Earls Court and Versailles. Two completely different concerts, and both spectacular. The old Waters/ Gilmour argument will always come up, and this album isn't by any means new, just previously unreleased from the Gilmour era. Fwiw, I tend to agree with Gilmour that the content for Animals was getting a bit old, and I think the stuff they did with Gilmour had a lot of value, and of course- never forget Sid. Shine on you crazy diamond!

What a night . I think it was the best concert I have been to and I've been to a few.

Still got the t-shirt.

Totally agree . I have been to many Floyd concerts in the past but the Earls Court gig was the pinacle . Still get hairs standing up on my neck watching Gilmore's solo on Comfortably Numb , unforgetable.

• Like 1

One tale the band told in an interview, was about Sid. They were rehearsing for a concert, and were playing Shine on you crazy diamond. As they finished they looked up. At the back was a figure just turning away to leave. One of them said "Was that Sid?"

Indeed, I think they were just finishing getting Shine On down at Abbey Studios when he rolled up. Took a while for them to recognise him -- fat, bald etc. At one point he was apparently making out to brush his teeth while bouncing up and down and when they came out to speak to him, he offered his services to get back with the band. One of them was in tears when he left, could've been Rick. Just sad what drugs can do. I'm sure, if true, it didn't help with Waters lacing Syd's tea with acid all those years ago to get the creative genus out of the guy.

Still got the t-shirt.

Totally agree . I have been to many Floyd concerts in the past but the Earls Court gig was the pinacle . Still get hairs standing up on my neck watching Gilmore's solo on Comfortably Numb , unforgetable.

Yep. Sound, lights, everything was spot on. Earls Court is a special venue for Floyd. Managed to wangle VIP tickets the night before the concert... bearing in mind tickets had sold out 9 months before. Getting into the hospitality tent for complementary wine, beer, voulevants and hors d'oeuvres etc with the bigwigs was kind of interesting.

You have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to the new album, fortunately I haven't been melancholy, depressed or suicidal lately. Good elevator music though... Seriously if it wasn't for the Floyd name, this would go nowhere. Yeah I know, opinions are like....

Oz

Pink Floyd is and always will be my absolute favourite band. The fact that they are wrapping it up now is a grim reminder to the fact that we all are getting old. I still have fond memories of the good old days. I had the "walking hammer" logo painted on my wall in the party cellar and not a day would pass by without hearing a Pink Floyd song. Watched the movie The Wall as a young teenager and the last live concert I saw of them was the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour, getting goose bumps when Scott Page pumped out the solo to "Dogs of War" what actually inspired me to learn how to play the sax myself. Whenever I do a gig, "The Wall" is be part of the final set and I'd sing it myself, dreaming of the good old days back then, when not only love, honor, friendship and honesty truly meant something, but also music was coming straight from the heart and had a meaning; very different from today's superficial industrialised music scene. I gonna miss them a lot and thank the lord on my knees for the good timing, being a late baby boomer, spending the best time of my life when Pink Floyd was at their very top. Gonna need some "Emotional Rescue" right now, since my eyes start to water up, sorry...

Edited by catweazle