Buying Motorola Moto G from Amazon while in Thailand

gezginrocker

Hello,

Soon I'll come Thailand for 1 year to study Thai. While I'm there, I'm thinking of ordering a 2nd gen. Motorola Moto G smartphone from Amazon.

Currently I live in Turkey and Amazon does not ship here. And the government does not allow mobiles phones that came via postal services into Turkey anyway.

So my question is, does Amazon ship to Thailand and can I get the phone without any hassle? I mean even if they do ship, is there going to be any problems at the customs? Are there any taxes, if there are, are they expensive?

The phone on Lazada is 7,888 baht. If I order from Amazon, it's about 5,900 baht.

Any thought and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Too bad Motorola didn't give the "New" Moto-G a name that better differentiated it from the older model. Several internet retailers I checked out were not very clear about which model was being sold. That may account for the wide disparity of prices.

Recently bought an LG phone from eBay and it shipped to Thailand without any issues. No troubles in customs and I didn´t have to pay anything extra. As long as the individual retailer on Amazon ships to Thailand there shouldn´t be any problems.

• Like 1

Hello,

Soon I'll come Thailand for 1 year to study Thai. While I'm there, I'm thinking of ordering a 2nd gen. Motorola Moto G smartphone from Amazon.

Currently I live in Turkey and Amazon does not ship here. And the government does not allow mobiles phones that came via postal services into Turkey anyway.

So my question is, does Amazon ship to Thailand and can I get the phone without any hassle? I mean even if they do ship, is there going to be any problems at the customs? Are there any taxes, if there are, are they expensive?

The phone on Lazada is 7,888 baht. If I order from Amazon, it's about 5,900 baht.

Any thought and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure where you find the 2nd generation Moto G for 5,900b. Just noticed your link... out of stock.

Best I could see on Amazon UK was 7,600b

Edited by casualbiker

Thanks for all the replies.

@ casualbiker, yes it is out of stock now but it says temporarily. Because it's a brand new model, probably there's a high demand for it now.

Btw, does anyone have any experience with Lenovo smartphones? I have noticed them at Lazada, very economical prices. Currently I'm using a Lenovo laptop and it's really nice. Their phones are cheaper than Motorola, so maybe I can go for a Lenovo phone as well.

I had a Lenovo P-780 which I really liked. It had really solid build quality though a bit heavy, mostly because of a large 4000 mAh battery that could last 3 days of normal use without a recharge. The downside was only 4GB ROM and a lot of bloatware that could not be moved to external memory. I was constantly getting "Low Memory" warnings (They have since increased ROM to 8gb and lowered the price) Display was just OK.

I switched to the Asus Zenphone-5 (recommended above by Casualbiker) and like the phone very much...except for the battery. Perhaps I was spoiled by the P-780 but it is difficult to get through a full day with the Zenphone-5 without a supplemental charge at some point.

Actually, one other annoyance with the Zenphone-5 is I find the display to be very "touchy"; very easy to inadvertently touch and initiate some unintended process. I've been having a problem with "pocket calls" even though the phone has a cover over the screen:...can't figure out why.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

^^^ not sure if it will help. Go into setting, language & input, pointer speed. Adjust.

Also the "smart cover " might actually be the problem, as I understand it. When you open the cover the screen comes on (magnetic trigger, I think) maybe try it without the cover (use a bumper) and see if it still plays up. It shouldn't, as soon as the screen goes off it should require a short press on the power button.

P780 has double the battery AND a slower processor and less screen resolution.

Edited by casualbiker

^^^ not sure if it will help. Go into setting, language & input, pointer speed. Adjust.

Also the "smart cover " might actually be the problem, as I understand it. When you open the cover the screen comes on (magnetic trigger, I think) maybe try it without the cover (use a bumper) and see if it still plays up. It shouldn't, as soon as the screen goes off it should require a short press on the power button.

P780 has double the battery AND a slower processor and less screen resolution.

Thanks for the suggestions. i think you are probably right about the "smart" case. Mine is an aftermarket brand (North) and might not be properly calibrated.