Youths admit cheating at an early age, and many don't think it's bad, study finds

Lite Beer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to say 'they are only hurting themselves' but if they get into any position of importance/authority, then their ignorance will harm many.

Such as being the pharmacist you or I just happen to go to. Or physician? Sobering thought.

• Like 2

In the school I teach there are some genuinely amazing students who obviously have been born with the silver spoon in their mouths. They strive for the best and don't cut corners. But sadly these students are out numbered probably 10 fold by students who rally don't give a rats ass & who when given the proverbial inch try and take about 10 miles.
It's sad really, some posters have basically hit the nail on the head when they say that by en large there are no consequences for negative actions. While this is the case Thailand will simply regress. With no carrot and no stick to speak of the only tangible external motivations are money and power. This is unhealthy to put it mildly

Seems to me this is a problem across all of east Asia. Japan did pretty well with its copy-paste-an-improved version schemes, Korea has done okay, China has work to do. Friends in Myanmar showed some of their homegrown hip-hop music, but openly admitted they listened to foreign rap music from a certain western country then imitated that. Well that's how anything good gets started so fair enough, I quite enjoyed their hip-hop even though I didn't understand the lyrics, it certainly has "soul".

Point is: as an individual or societal plan, it's fine to copy as long as you're intentional with it, add value (so then it's not IP theft), and are conscious with what you're doing. Soulless rip-offs, on the other hand, take a nation nowhere.

Well, what to say? When the role models are corrupt or missing, this is the end result.

I think if the Highest Person in Thailand would tell them to be more responsible (especially on the roads) that it will work. I always thought that buddhist are responsible people who won't harm eachother.

Also those minibuses from the big (expensive) schools should drive more responsible, all the kids sit hours in those buses and start thinking that driving like that is the normal way to drive.

The "Highest Person" has given lots of good advice to the people over the years and they almost all respond, "Yes, yes, excellent idea", and then go back to what they were doing before.

• Like 2

Lie, cheat, steal that’s the perfect way to end up rich and unhappy people will do anything in Thailand for money that is the only important thing in Thai life now greed and money, and it passes down from generation to generation it’s going to take many years for some parents to say No to their child that’s not acceptable in our caring society.

"sprouts at an early age" .....

Yesterday morning the missus was teaching some Anuban 3 kids for extra classes on a Saturday morning. She asked me to whip up a work sheet for practicing the writing of Thai and Arabic numerals and Thai and English numbers in words.

I printed these out in 4 columns, with 4 blank columns for the students themselves to write in .... just initial an practice in physically writing the numbers and words, no need to really think that hard at all.

Fully half the kids were peering across at their neighbours work and copying what they were writing ... when the answer was already on the left hand side of their own page.

Lie, cheat, steal that’s the perfect way to end up rich and unhappy people will do anything in Thailand for money that is the only important thing in Thai life now greed and money, and it passes down from generation to generation it’s going to take many years for some parents to say No to their child that’s not acceptable in our caring society.

it doesn't help that there isn't any discipline from parents to their children in this society, another repercussion of this is that the next generation are all going to be fat cows, like yesterday in 7-11 this highly overweight 10 ish year old was buying up hotdogs and cakes and all this processed crap that anyones body let alone a Thai body should be putting in their mouths...I would be telling my child "no, you are not buying that it is unhealthy" instead, just throw it in the basket and mange on it until you become a diabetic 300 lb grown man, when the consequences get very dear...

They think it is OK to cheat and lie. That is the foundation that leads to all of Thailand's problems.

It is nothing less than stupid. It is why Thailand will always remain at its global level while many other countries will overtake them.

This is testament to Thailand moving backwards in the eyes of the rest of the world, and they don't seem to give a shit.

That + xenophobia + silly nationalism, sums up Thainess in a nutshell.

One of my lecturers (England) told me that aroud 35%-40% of students usually drop out or fail my Education degree course. Although that's quite hign for England, it's not unheard of.

Anyone heard of that at a Thai uni? Kids in LOS copy and nobody cares. If they fail, they are given a pass mark anyway. School reports? Always glowing, even for the kid that throws chairs at the girls and pis..s in the bookcase.

If nobody fails then you could end up with imbeciles in top jobs. Like politics.

Despite my post, if I were Thai with kids, I would tell them to cheat and makes friends in the right places. Honesty will get them nowhere. Unless there is a huge drive by the Education Dept to sort it out. It starts at school.

Having pals with connections is more important than IQ. Can apply to many nations, but it's crucial in Thailand.

Having been involved in education in Thailand for quite a while, I can confirm that a huge % of students cheat. But when I worked in other countries a large % also cheated. Young people's brains develop slowly and a lot of that moral compass that guides us as adults simply is not well enough developed. Take a look at how young people are influenced by peer pressure. So the fact that kids cheat, and do lots of other bad things is not surprising.

What is surprising is the attitude of teachers, parents and those in responsible positions to it. In order for them to develop a sense of honesty, it has to be reinforced. Sadly, in Thailand it usually isn't.

Young people's brains develop slowly. You sure about that?

Generally, in most developed countries children LEARN to lie at circa aged 6 to 7, and it is individualistic and not peer pressured. They simply push unexplored boundaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wSfbKwWSaY

As is observed, it is a passing test to be ready for the 'adult world', yet it generally stops very soon as lying is discovered, and embarassment sets in.

Also, as you correctly observe, the reinforcement of honesty is rarely followed, because parental guidance is misconstrued with lies and corruption - and that is where the difference lies.

However, I have to contest your obs that young people's brains develop slowly - you know that we learn 90% of what we will ever know before the age of 8 - the last 10% is definining it into what we become honed in to.

• Like 1

Look, before we jump on Thais for this, we need to understand that such surveys have limited value. Assuming the survey itself was done well (well-designed questions, good sampling, appropriate analysis), we still need have some benchmarks to fully interpret the findings. Before one can conclude that there's something fundamentally 'wrong' with Thai society, we need to see what the responses are like in other countries. A quick check of the internet will surface studies that show that as many as 60% of US students admit to cheating on tests in the past year - this is a very specific context and time period. So maybe we shouldn't sit so comfortably on our high horses...

• Like 1

Is this what they call "Thainess" ? For any teacher here, this is a non-story. Thais try to follow western education standards by valuing individual performance, but Thais do not actually value this. They much prefer working together. In the West, employees would call this collaboration. Kids here are never taught to value their own work. Even the best kid will let the bozo next to him copy his work. Until I failed them also for letting them copylaugh.png

It is not this "working together ethic" in of itself that lends to the ills of society, just look at the japanese, who also have a high regard for group success / effort. japan education / society compared to thai is night and day.

• Like 2

"Some 99 percent of youths defined success as getting a good education and a well paid job."

That's how far the brain washing has gone. Maybe if it was stopped then they wouldn't feel the need to lie.

My dear Thai-bashing friend, I suspect you would have got exactly the same answer from Western youths!

The results are in.......

post-162857-0-04104600-1415545906_thumb.

Well, what to say? When the role models are corrupt or missing, this is the end result.

Exactly.

In the Uk the teachers do the cheating for the students. Nanny state mentality.

Exam results quashed over 'cheating' claim at top school Exam results at England’s top-performing primary school have been quashed amid claims teachers cheated by changing children’s answers on test papers.

Newton Farm Nursery, Infant and Junior School in Harrow, north London, has written to parents telling them that test scores in maths and a new spelling, punctuation and grammar exam had been annulled after an official investigation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10352748/Exam-results-quashed-over-cheating-claim-at-top-school.html

Edited by Suradit69

"Dishonesty in Thailand sprouts roots at an early age - with 81 per cent of youths admitting they cheat in exams and 63 per cent saying they signed a class attendance form for an absent classmate, a new study has found...it is behaviour that most of respondents did not regard as seriously wrong."

This comes out a day after an article where the Deputy Minister of Education was addressing the existing problems of the education system. The real existing problem is Thai society itself, where no one feels the need to hide corruption, starting at the earliest levels of childhood. How does he expect the education system, or for that matter any other system to solve its problems when the foundation of the entire society is based in lying and cheating? Worse yet, is that children see how corruption is rewarded with wealth, power, and much face to those who engage in it.

How does one reform and entire culture?

"How does one reform and entire culture?"

The rest of the world calls it 'development'.

I think if the Highest Person in Thailand would tell them to be more responsible (especially on the roads) that it will work. I always thought that buddhist are responsible people who won't harm eachother.

Also those minibuses from the big (expensive) schools should drive more responsible, all the kids sit hours in those buses and start thinking that driving like that is the normal way to drive.

Really? Wow well done problem solved ask Mr General to have a word with his country that will do the trick.

Thailand can now meet with the requirements of ASEAN 2015.