Android app to help prevent farmers making false subsidy claims

Lite Beer

Android app to help prevent farmers making false subsidy claims
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- In an attempt to prevent corruption in the Bt1,000-per-rai subsidy to rice farmers, the Department of Special Investigation will introduce an Android app that uses satellite footage to determine the exact number of working farms.

The introduction of the Field Area Measure app is designed to stop farmers making subsidy claims for redundant properties.

DSI senior investigator Nirandon Chaisri presided over a meeting of some 100 officials in Nakhon Ratchasima's Sikhiu district yesterday in which details about the plan were unveiled.

Sikhiu has about 105,000 rai (41,500 acres) of rice fields, with some 5,300 farmers applying for the subsidy.

The determination of legitimate claims is slated for conclusion at the end of the month.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Android-app-to-help-prevent-farmers-making-false-s-30247330.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-09

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I see the brainiacs have been busy! 95% of Thai farmers wouldn't know an Android from their armpit!

I see the brainiacs have been busy! 95% of Thai farmers wouldn't know an Android from their armpit!

You can bet the younger members of the family know and how to use to the best advantage.

This technology is not for the use of the farmers, it is for the use of those handing out the subsidies and the DSI. So they can see exactly what has been planted and what is sitting fallow.

And 99%+ of their children and grandchildren WILL know how to use the App and WILL have the phone to do so (assuming there's an iPhone version too).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can bet the younger members of the family know and how to use to the best advantage.

This technology is not for the use of the farmers, it is for the use of those handing out the subsidies and the DSI. So they can see exactly what has been planted and what is sitting fallow.

This modern technology will only keep the poorer farmers honest. Now the richer farmers don't need to pay useless bribes. They know exactly who is monitoring their land and can pay directly to the person who can do them the most good (AKA Look the other way).

• Like 1

I would be more concerned with the individuals who handle the money prior to it reaching the small farmer. Corruption in Thailand has been shown to happen at levels above those who were intended to benifet. This includes school supplies, lunches/milk, farm price subsidies, min, wage, etc.

Who in the DSI has experience in rice farming and or monitoring paddy area or any other area utilized for faming. The DSI has not shown their ability to control encroachment on national forest, government land etc via land documents, land photos, etc, why expect a mirecle if they say new techonolgy will solve a problem that they preceive may happen?

• Like 2

When I visit MIL's farm in Isaan, I've noted pretty much every one under 30 is glued to an Android phone. Facebook, whatsapp, tango and line have replaced the lakorns. Even the MIL herself does video calls. And that's Nongbua Lamphu, sometimes mentioned as the poorest province in Thailand.

Times have changed.

Edited by DrTuner

When I visit MIL's farm in Isaan, I've noted pretty much every one under 30 is glued to an Android phone. Facebook, whatsapp, tango and line have replaced the lakorns. Even the MIL herself does video calls. And that's Nongbua Lamphu, sometimes mentioned as the poorest province in Thailand.

Times have changed.

For sure.... it would appear rice farming revenue has been good over the last 3 years