Update on drivers license renewal required

Searched back a few pages but can't seem to find the thread discussing the drivers license renewal.

Main question, can you go before or after the license is expired? My 5 year license expires next month. Will be gone however for 6 weeks as of mid week, so could deal with it Monday and/or Tuesday.

Is a note from immigration required? How about a medical, required on Samui?

Thanks for any feedback.

If you go before you get 5 years, if you go after then 5 years and next birthday.
Certificate from Immigrations or Yellow Thabien Bahn or copies work permit.
Certificate from Immigrations will cost 500 baht, bring photos and passport nothing else needed.
No medical needed last time I went.
Go before 9 AM, you need to take eye and reaction tests.

Thx for the swift response Poorsucker. So, a copy of the work permit will substitute an immigration letter?

How long after birthday can you go? Mine would be about 2 weeks before I can go. Will the office be open over Christmas as far as you know?

Thx for the swift response Poorsucker. So, a copy of the work permit will substitute an immigration letter?

How long after birthday can you go? Mine would be about 2 weeks before I can go. Will the office be open over Christmas as far as you know?

Think this is the post you were looking for Limbos (it was archived)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624600-5-year-driving-licence-renewal-info-please/page-3?hl=%2Blicense+%2Brenewal#entry6696024

Here's the DLT website: http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471:renew&Itemid=88

According to it you don't need the medical if you are renewing a 5 year license and you can renew it if it has expired for up to 3 years with additional tests.

I do mine up north and, forth time last week, and I get the med certificate since it's available from the receptionist at my clinic for 50 baht.

Thanks all, all info was up to date and sorted all out yesterday.

Just one question;

In case you wait with the renewal, your license will be out of date. What if you are involved in an accident now? What's the legal situation?

Would you technically need to be driven to the office but you can drive away yourself providing you met all requirements and received a new license?

Well done.

Quite a few years ago I went to renew my licence on a Friday as it would run out the next day, and the office was not open on Saturdays. The lady smiled at me and told me to come back on Monday. Friday - too soon.

I guess that the times they are a-changin'.

Well done.

Quite a few years ago I went to renew my licence on a Friday as it would run out the next day, and the office was not open on Saturdays. The lady smiled at me and told me to come back on Monday. Friday - too soon.

I guess that the times they are a-changin'.

For the first 5 year driving license you must wait until the 1 year temporary expires.

• 3 months later...

Having just renewed my 5 year car and bike licenses, I thought I would update this thread due to a few minor changes recently.

Immigration required a photocopy of my landlords ID card, both front and back, and a copy of the blue book for my address before they would give me a residence certificate.

I didn't have any photos so was charged another 160 baht on top of the 500 baht for certificates (x2)

Pre 10am:

The test center wanted my passport + 2 photo copies of main page and visa, (one for car and one for bike) as well as my residence certificates.

I then had to watch a 1 hour video in Thai with English subtitles. This was mind numbing to say the least.

Out of the room... the next step is to look at a mini traffic light, and tell the operator what colour was being displayed. This was randomly positioned red, yellow or green lights, (don't mention amber).

Next is the old peripheral vision test, where you look ahead and shout out the colour you see either side of your head.

Next is the good old foot on the accelerator to turn a bulb green, then stamp on the brake when the light shows red.

Lastly is the depth of perception test, with a forwards and backwards button on a control box (line up a white marker with its static twin)

If you pass, you sign your forms and go downstairs. When I did it, 4 or 5 people failed and were sent back to the room where we watched the video in, and I never saw them again!

Downstairs I paid 1060 baht for bike and car licenses, I then got photographed and waited for the cards to be printed. They asked me for 20 baht for 2 card wallets, but I turned them down NP.

I was out the place at 11.45am with 2 licenses for just shy of 6 years validity (It's just past my birthday).

• 1 month later...

Bump

People seeking an initial Thai driving licence & presenting their full home licence @ Samui DVLA without an International Drivers Permit (IDP) are being asked to have their foreign licences authenticated & translated before their applications can be accepted. IDP's are available online from motoring organisations at home at considerably less than the cost of a trip to Bkk...

HTH

Just one question;

In case you wait with the renewal, your license will be out of date. What if you are involved in an accident now? What's the legal situation?

Would you technically need to be driven to the office but you can drive away yourself providing you met all requirements and received a new license?

Just went this morning as my 5 year license expired 17 April while I was in BKK. All paperwork ok including letter from immigration (although it was the same passport with letter supplied for my first 5 year license) THEN they turned me down for not wearing long pants although I was wearing a shirt with collar and pressed shorts. For Chrissake it's the hot season and this is an island NOT Suan Plu BKK. Notice to all, wear long pants ! Muppets !!!

Just one question;

Just went this morning as my 5 year license expired 17 April while I was in BKK. All paperwork ok including letter from immigration (although it was the same passport with letter supplied for my first 5 year license) THEN they turned me down for not wearing long pants although I was wearing a shirt with collar and pressed shorts. For Chrissake it's the hot season and this is an island NOT Suan Plu BKK. Notice to all, wear long pants ! Muppets !!!

They are quite strict with the dress code there. I have seen them telling off both Thai's and foreigners for not wearing long trousers. Saying "This is a government office!"

Just one question;

They are quite strict with the dress code there. I have seen them telling off both Thai's and foreigners for not wearing long trousers. Saying "This is a government office!"

And so are Immigration, Customs, Harbour Department and Bo Phud Police Station "a government office" but they all permit wearing shorts with a neat shirt !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived