Chiang mai to seek at least bt23 million from tourism ministry for bike lanes

Lite Beer

Chiang mai to seek at least bt23 million from tourism ministry for bike lanes

CHIANG MAI: -- The Chiang Mai provincial administration will seek a budget of at least Bt23 million from the Tourism and Sports Ministry to launch its project to turn the northern city in a bike-touring city, Chiang Mai chief tourism and sports officer Montree Piyakul said Sunday.

The budget will be for building of bike lanes in the city and communities, bike lines to tourist destinations and other exclusive bike lines, he said.

The bike lane constructions would be carried out under the government's plan to build bike lanes around the country to promote tourism, Piyakul said. He said the budget would come from the Physical Education Department under the Tourism and Sports Ministry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chiang-mai-to-seek-at-least-bt23-million-from-tour-30247343.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-09

That was tried before on some of the main city centre roads, in fact the lines are probably still there. Maybe someone should tell them tourists like shady trees to cycle under. Whoops forgot can't have any of those because of the plastic spaghetti overhead (ie wires and cables).

Stupid idea...

Why? Why on earth is this a stupid idea? Explain yourself. Far better to encourage cycle use (as per London) than to increasingly have to deal with polluting traffic jams.

One thing I would say here: for goodness sake call them cycle lanes so as not to encourage motorbikes to use them.

• Like 2

What's the difference between a pavement and a road in Chiang Mai? Answer nothing! Do people really think the locals will respect any so called cycle lanes any differently. The authorities seem to actually encourage people to drive on, park on and obstruct the pavements in general. If they are really serious before bringing in cycle lanes they should sort out the pavements.

That seems like a lot of money. At Bt1,000 per metre, it would buy 23,000 kilometres. At a million baht per metre, it would buy 23 km. Suppose you could do 100 km of bike lanes in Chiang Mai, it would work out to Bt230,000 per metre. What would a Bt230,000/m bike lane look like??

Edited by catterwell

Great ideas but is it feasible? Will cars acknowledge these lanes at all? Also from memory the worst potholes, dangerous and slippery when wet manhole covers are in the area of road closest (within a metre) to the kerb, drain-aways are sometimes a lot lower than the surface of the road and deeper than a lot of potholes.. One thing for sure it will take a lot of policing as motorbike users already go wherever they want, I think this will be a dangerous scenario unfortunately.

That seems like a lot of money. At Bt1,000 per metre, it would buy 23,000 kilometres. At a million baht per metre, it would buy 23 km. Suppose you could do 100 km of bike lanes in Chiang Mai, it would work out to Bt230,000 per metre. What would a Bt230,000/m bike lane look like??

Sorry, I misread Bn when it should have been mn, so divide my numbers by 1,000. Not an overboard budget with certain assumptions.

Traffic and bicycle initiatives are doomed to failure if there is a lack of support from the police, motoring community, vendors and the public in general.

Education, enforcement and maintenance are the three legs of the stool to make such an endeavor a success. Unfortunately, it seems, many stools in this country are lacking the prerequisite number of legs.

• Like 1

yes Thailand will be a hub for bycikle holidays cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

yes beat the dutch or germans

from my hometown i can drive to my sisters house (67km way), and there is no 200 m I have to drive on a normal street with cars, all

way is for bikes protected and goes along nice nature and rivers

in Thailand you got hunted by pickups and motobikes, bycikle lanes in CM is a big joke, where you want to bild them? only when you make the lanes like a skytrain clap2.gif

• Like 2

How about bt23 to fix the pathetic immigration services that are a national embarrassment (but then again, Thais don't have to deal with it so it's a non-issue).

Bike Lanes vs Immigration Services? cheesy.gif (I think I've peed my pants)

Another "feel good" announcement. Where will they build them in the city ? the streets are so narrow now that leaves only the pot holed footpaths.

CM is crying our for a total transport plan as grid lock is fast approaching.Town planners seem to be non existent unless you want to put up an electronic billboard,they are going up like mushrooms as there is money for someone.

What's the difference between a pavement and a road in Chiang Mai? Answer nothing! Do people really think the locals will respect any so called cycle lanes any differently. The authorities seem to actually encourage people to drive on, park on and obstruct the pavements in general. If they are really serious before bringing in cycle lanes they should sort out the pavements.

There is a difference between pavements and roads in Chiang Mai. The roads are generally in better condition.

• Like 1

yes Thailand will be a hub for bycikle holidays cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

yes beat the dutch or germans

from my hometown i can drive to my sisters house (67km way), and there is no 200 m I have to drive on a normal street with cars, all

way is for bikes protected and goes along nice nature and rivers

in Thailand you got hunted by pickups and motobikes, bycikle lanes in CM is a big joke, where you want to bild them? only when you make the lanes like a skytrain clap2.gif

" only when you make the lanes like a skytrain "

Exactly !!thumbsup.gif

That is a lot of money to be spent on repainting in some cases and adding painted lines in others. There is nowhere to build bike lanes as its already concrete road and footpath so there are only left with marking off/up the existing roadways (AGAIN). Chaing Mai has managed to use solid, broken, angled, etc paint lines in and around the city and they seem to use a quaility of paint so as a annual redo is needed.

The request for such a large sum for painting lines with equipment and personnel already om payroll could appear as just someone looking to add more to theiir theft account