Reno Hotel - Reviews?

Dawn

Good morning from sunny old England (yip, we've had temps of 32 degrees for the last week or so - WOW!) :D

Quick question - we're thinking of staying in the Reno Hotel on Soi Kasemson 1 so we've got easy access to Siam Square.

Has anyone stayed here before? Can you provide me with a quick review? We're thinking of booking one of the deluxe pool side rooms - and I'm well aware of what 'deluxe' can actually mean in Bangkok :o

Any advice much appreciated!

Dawn :D

Good morning from sunny old England (yip, we've had temps of 32 degrees for the last week or so - WOW!) :D

Quick question - we're thinking of staying in the Reno Hotel on Soi Kasemson 1 so we've got easy access to Siam Square.

Has anyone stayed here before? Can you provide me with a quick review? We're thinking of booking one of the deluxe pool side rooms - and I'm well aware of what 'deluxe' can actually mean in Bangkok :o

I believe its a fairly low cost hotel , very close to Siam Square / MBK.

No idea what the rooms are like , heard that the food is very good there.

I must admit I know the owners but have never been there.

If you don't get any more response , from impartial sources I will ask the owners , who would give me an honest assesment. (Its a fairly small part of their resources and they aren't managing it , the hotel that is)

I've stayed there quite a few times, but I'm a bit ambivalent about the place. I haven't stayed in the pool-side rooms.

It has a pool, a cute little cafe in front, and it is very convenient for Siam square. It is in fact located directly opposite the National Stadium, and the station is at the end of the Soi. there is car parking there too.

The rooms....well I've had some good ones there but one time I booked in advance anmd they told me my room wasn't available - double booking - so they gave me a right crappy little room and still tried to charge me the same amount.

It's been a year since I stayed there, and they were doing up the other rooms - to what standard I don't know...one room I had had no fridge or was it TV???

percy2/wilko,

Many thanks for your responses. According to the Lonely Planet website it's just had a recent make and it gets good reviews elsewhere as a budget hotel in a great location.

We're used to staying on the Khao San Road so we're not looking for anything upmarket - just decent rooms, a pool and good food.

Think we'll go for it!

Cheers :o

Dawn

Sounds OK then...how long are you staying?

If you don't like it there, there are several cheapie hotels in that Soi of varying quality.

Let us know what it's like as I may need to use it again. How much are the rooms now?

Yes, I'd be interested in your report back as well. We always stay in that soi, love the location and the lack of harassment from touts, vendors and taxi drivers. We stayed at the Reno a few years ago and found the rooms didn't live up to the lobby. Very basic for 900 baht. and not that great. But, if they have had a renovation, I'd be interested to know how the rooms turned out and how much they run.

I'm emailing them soon so I'll let you all know the latest prices.

We're only staying a few nights so thought we'd try the 'deluxe pool side' room and see how 'deluxe' they are :D

We're not heading over until the 24th Jan but I'll try and remember to post a review when we get there :o

Most of the review that are out there (and there aint that many) say the same thing - 'nice new reception, rooms have been updated too but they're still a bit basic' - but good value for money and worth staying at for the location alone.

But you could apply the above statement to most of the hotels/guest houses on the Khao San though couldn't you?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Novotel-type-hotels (you know the ones - once inside you could pretend to be anywhere in the world as long as you didn't look out of the window) and it sounds like it'll do the job. We usually stay in one of the Sawasdee Hotels on the Khao San so we're not used to marble bathrooms and plasma screens.

Happy to report back once we get there :D

• 10 months later...

Long overdue I know but I did get back eventually...... :o

The Reno was great and we'd definately go back again. The deluxe poolside rooms were indeed poolside and they were very clean and well maintained. The pool looked a bit dirty so we didn't bother but when we passed through again on our way home, they'd cleaned it up and if we'd had time we would have tried it.

We had a TV that worked and a fridge stocked with a mini bar. Room service was brilliant and the food was really nice although the portion sizes were a little bit small though.

The hubby was ill with a really bad flu for the 3 days we were there and he said he wouldn't have wanted to have been ill in 'any other hotel we've stayed in so far'. That speaks volumes...

The bathroom was really nice and the water was hot. The bath was big enough to lie in although the pressure of the water when you ran it (the shower pressure was fab) meant that you could go out and order a meal downstairs and probably get back before it came anywhere near to overflowing. Mind you, most of you won't want a bath. The hubby had the shakes and was really cold and felt like one due to being ill so we thought we'd try it out.

And as you all mentioned, the location is fantastic. 1 minute walk to MBK which was a god send for me with the hubby being laid up in bed and asleep most of the time....'I'll just go shopping then...see you later!'... :D

Nice staff too and they didn't even bat an eyelid when we left our luggage with them (a big bag of warm UK duds) and told them we wouldn't be back for a month.

Highly recommended. PM me for contact details if you need them as I'm at work and don't have their business card on me.

Your welcome! :D

I've stayed there too many times. Prices around 1000Bt depending on type of room

The rooms I stayed in hadn't been refurbished but lobby/restaurant had been.

But at that price and location fine for me - service good, clean, bathrooms worked fine.

I stayed there couple of weeks ago - it was approx 1200 (it was 1180 or 1280Bt - can't remember) for deluxe.

1080 for superior and I think 900 for standard (they never seem to be free when I go).

Only difference with deluxe is fridge and biger TV. Superior has only small TV no fridge.

Price includes brekkie.

But for location you can't beat it if you want to be near to Siam Square.

Best thing about the Reno: It's just a short walk across an overhead bridge and you're right in MBK Shopping Centre. Cross to the other side, and you're in Siam Discovery, Paragon and Siam Square.