Visa run from Phuket 101: best companies, how it works, etc

Good morning everyone,

I live in Phuket. I am now on a visa exemption extension that runs out on November 15th (Well, it is the date on the stamp, I guess I prefer to consider it runs out on November 14th, it is safer, isn't it?). I then leave Thailand for good on December 12th. Which means I have roughly one more month to go in Thailand.

I am planning to do a visa run, which i have never done before (I was for a long time in Thailand with a B non immigration visa). What are the best options from Phuket? What is the procedure? How much it costs?

I have heard the best where to go is Penang (by bus? is it so?). what is the cheapest option to go there? Any company names and details? Are there every day departures? (I would plan on leaving on Nov 12 or 13, in order to be out of the country by the 14th). What is the total cost of the operation? I need a visa that can take me until December 12th (I already have my ticket on December 12th to leave the country).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ptitprince.

As said, the 1900 baht will get you a 30 day extension added on to your current permission to stay. It would give you until 14 December, two days after your flight and definitely cheaper than an unneeded visa run.

You don't need to go anywhere, just extend 30 days at immigration in Patong or Phuket town. Fee bt. 1,900.

Thank you. This said, as stated (not sure I expressed myself correctly, maybe not, sorry if it it the case), I am already on an extension: I came back from KL on September 17th and got an exemption at Phuket airport, which I extended on October 15, valid until November 15. Can I extend a second time?

As said, the 1900 baht will get you a 30 day extension added on to your current permission to stay. It would give you until 14 December, two days after your flight and definitely cheaper than an unneeded visa run.

Thank you. Similar answer as for Paz: as stated (not sure I expressed myself correctly, obviously didn't, so apologizes), I am already on an extension: I came back from KL on September 17th and got that day an exemption at Phuket airport, which I extended on October 15, valid until November 15. Can I extend a second time?

You did not mention nationality but assume you can get 30-day with land crossing (G7 countries nationals get such). If so then just a visa run up to Ranong and back same day. Check in local paper for their ads. Avoid taking minibus, they are notorious for suicidal drivers. If other than G7 national can just fly down to KL on same day round trip eg. AirAsia or one of the others, cost about 3k baht total.

You did not mention nationality but assume you can get 30-day with land crossing (G7 countries nationals get such). If so then just a visa run up to Ranong and back same day. Check in local paper for their ads. Avoid taking minibus, they are notorious for suicidal drivers. If other than G7 national can just fly down to KL on same day round trip eg. AirAsia or one of the others, cost about 3k baht total.

Thank you. I am French.

So Ranong is closer/faster than Penang?

How much would cost a return road trip, and how long would that take?

Also, I thought only the air trip allowed a 30 day visa? and that land crossing only allowed a 15 day. Are you sure about your info? Is there a limited amount of land crossing I can get? (my visa history is as follows: up to September, I had a one year B non Immigration visa, then September 17 I got an exemption (back from an air trip to KL), which I extended on October 15, extension valid until November 15.)

Thanks so much.

Ranong is the closest crossing to Phukhet. But the latest info I have seen is that they do not allow crossings for visa exempt entries.

Those from the G7 counties get a 30 day entries at border crossings,

You should check with some visa run companies in Phuket. Most are now going to the Malaysian border now.

You don't have to go all the way to Penang for a new entry.

Ranong is the closest crossing to Phukhet. But the latest info I have seen is that they do not allow crossings for visa exempt entries.

Those from the G7 counties get a 30 day entries at border crossings,

You should check with some visa run companies in Phuket. Most are now going to the Malaysian border now.

You don't have to go all the way to Penang for a new entry.

I see. Thank you!

Ranong will NOT allow u to leave unless you have a avlid visa

ur going to have to head to Malaysia and i dont think ANY agent will run u down without a visa as ur chances of being turned down are high

ur going to have to fly somewhere an get a visa

ranong is no go on visa exempt, been told a few times that a visa is required to leave. As above you're safest option is to fly out and back, KL is the quickest and flights are reasonable at approx 4500 thb with airasia normally - As you only have 1 30 day + 1 extension I suspect you will be fine coming back the same day but a night or two in KL would probably be wise - if you do come back the same day airasia have an early morning flight and a lunch time return, round trip is only about 6 hours so its not bad at all.

the closest other boarder run is sadao, they let my friend back in last week on a second visa exempt with no problems (with a 3 day gap between out / in), but as far as I know the visa run companies do not out / in at sadao as most go on to penang. Driving yourself there and back is an option but wouldn't be much cheaper than flying to KL and back, if at all.

hope it helps!

Edited by B1ade