A Botched Euthanasia Attempt

Scott

I have a 16 + year old dog that has been blind and deaf for several months. Because of partner's and my work schedule she has become increasingly hard to care for. His sister obtained the medication to euthanize the dog from a vet in a different Province. Yesterday morning, I decided the time had come to put her to sleep. I gave her a couple of xanax to relax her a little (total of .5 mg) and gave her an injection, subcutaneously. About 10 mg of the medication. The medication came in a brown bottle but no label and no instructions.

I figured that once she was unconscious, I would inject the remainder. Which I did about 20 minutes later. She yelped and flopped around for quite a while but she did not die. This morning she is still alive, but in a terrible condition. She can't stand, although she makes a feeble attempt. She does not appear to be able to swallow as I tried to give her water with a syringe.

In my attempt to prevent her from suffering, I've created a huge amount of suffering for both of us.

Does anybody have any idea where I can obtain something that will put her out of her misery? If I thought for a moment that she could recover, I would be inclined to let her live, but she is in distress.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goto the vet asap as above is all I can suggest.

BTW I have a blind and almost deaf dog, who's been that way for about 3 years, she's 10 now. It's amazing how they adapt. She still comes for walks and navigates our property. Its almost as if they see with their noses.

I wish I could give more advice, its a terrible dilemma and worse situation that you've unfortunately created. I empathize with your motives. Sorry to hear about the results.

If I was in a similar situation, I'd have got hold of two or three times what was recommended to be certain the end result was effective.

Good luck with the vet.

Edited by Pomthai

Thanks, I will have to wait until after work, or at least until this afternoon. The vets in the area where I live will not put an animal down, so I don't expect much assistance from them.

A few years back, I had a cat with kidney failure and we took it all over trying to find a vet who would put him down, but none of them would. He eventually died a slow and agonizing death.

The dog is a mid-sized dog, but has spent her life indoors, with bathroom breaks outside and being paper trained. Since she can't see, she messes in the house a number of times before we get home and sometime she has started walking in it. She also has rather severe mites and several trips to the vet have been unable to get this under control.

We had to put our 19 yr old cat to sleep last year. We put her in a cat carrier, put that in a large plastic bin liner and used the car exhaust. We left the engine running for 10 mins. Traumatic but better than watching him suffer.

Carbon dioxide will work. Google it, but mixing baking soda and vinegar to create carbon dioxide. Its heavier than air so can be feed into a container or large bag with a hose. It works in small doses as an analgesic, large doses and as an anesthetic and with more / per-longed use will cause death.

Thanks, I actually thought of carbon monoxide poisoning.

oh scott my heart goes out to you and your partner and the tears right now are for the dog.everyone who reads this section will know i have prayed to god i go first before my beloved.but god forbid i dont have to go through what you are expierancing.i have just told the wife to check with our --- to confirm what i was told a few yrs.ago,we are lucky that we have the money and the carrying out of our wishes would be done.

as suggested above yes that would be non-suffering or a gas filled box.

• Like 1

Shoot it in the head.

I realize that many think that this post was made by a inhumane non caring person and maybe it was since I don't know the poster. But, IMHO, it's probably the most humane way if it has to be done and you have access to a gun. The animal is in familar surroundings and not stressed out and being transported to a vets office and is instantaneous, painless ( I guess since I've never been shot in the head), and there is no chance of a botched attempt.

I once shot my neighbors old dog who had been sick for a long time. We buried it and when the kids came home from school he told them that he had died and took them to the grave. A better ending for them than knowing that their friend was being taken somewhere to be killed!

Like I said, My Humble Opinion!.

I don't have access to a gun, and I have asked at work. The closest I have come is the gardener who would whack it over the head with a board, which I am not inclined to allow for. The dog knows my smell so it's something I will have to do, or be there for.

I have caused the poor thing enough misery without now putting her in unfamiliar hands. She does not handle strangers well. She didn't when she well and since being blind and deaf it is more stressful for her.

Scott, having had several dogs in the past, I do feel for you.

CO2 works well, but you'll need a lot of it. Keeping your dog lying still in a cardboard box, then making the CO2 in a large bowl and literally pouring the heavy gas will start to fill the box, but you'll have to repeat the procedure several times.

I personally wouldn't have it in me to use a plastic bag over the dog's head, as another posted suggested. Too cruel.

I have a friend from NZ who was a vet nurse, and they used "blue juice" - a tranquilizer - by IV, not subcue. Who knows what was in the brown liquid, or if the directions given were correct. Please don't blame yourself for your well-intentioned attempt to ease your pet's transition.

Thanks. There were no instruction, but I have had animals put down before (and my childhood on a farm). I gave her two shots. The first to 'tranquilizer' and the second larger dose to euthanize her. I am not quite familiar enough with a dog's anatomy to actually find a vein for an injection and I was pretty sure that I would not be successful in doing that.

I went home at lunch time to check on her. She is still alive, but it appears that she is in a coma. She is breathing (somewhat normally), there is some muscle twitching, but she was unresponsive to being moved -- just trying to keep her in a comfortable position.

I don't have access to a gun, and I have asked at work. The closest I have come is the gardener who would whack it over the head with a board, which I am not inclined to allow for. The dog knows my smell so it's something I will have to do, or be there for.

I have caused the poor thing enough misery without now putting her in unfamiliar hands. She does not handle strangers well. She didn't when she well and since being blind and deaf it is more stressful for her.

I borrowed the pistol from a BIB that lives in the village next to ours. Neither he nor my neighbor would shoot the dog.

As far as the drug that you had it was most likely Nembutal and is very effective. But it must be injected IV directly into the blood stream which is difficult for someone that hasn't done IV injections before especially on small hairy animals. I imagine that by injecting it sub it will eventually be absorbed by the biody but I think that a lot would be require and it would be a slow process.

Edited by wayned

Shoot it in the head.

I realize that many think that this post was made by a inhumane non caring person and maybe it was since I don't know the poster. But, IMHO, it's probably the most humane way if it has to be done and you have access to a gun.

I'm an animal lover! Sounds brutal, but it's all over in seconds.

Give her a big dose of Butorphanol stronger than morphine and slightly euphoric.

WSPA

http://www.icam-coalition.org/downloads/Methods%20for%20the%20euthanasia%20of%20dogs%20and%20cats-%20English.pdf

I have occasionally found myself obliged to kill a dog or a cat. I don't like it. What can I say? If you can't do it yourself then don't trust it to someone else. A whack with a shovel, maybe two whacks, does it.

I love animals but also kill a pig from time to time, so I can do it.

I know this sounds bad but it is very quick.

Drowning is not nice, believe me.

I thought she had slipped into a coma, but she was moving around and yelping a little when I got home, so I took her to the vet, but the vet will not help. The vet said to take her home and try to keep her comfortable and she will die in two or 3 days.

The vet said that she is not in pain, but I am not sure if she was saying that for my benefit or if she isn't in pain. I did ask at work if anyone had a gun, but no one has one (or would admit to having one).

Thanks for the advice and help. It's a very difficult time.

having had to euthenize many animals, i can understand how traumatic this is that it didnt go fast. what would work mostly would be a syrnige with a long needle, saline solution, and straight in to the heart. ive done it severalt times, missing the heart once (that was horrible, i got the lungs so the poor dying goat kid took a while longer) but it can be done. u have to get between the ribs , on the side, but if u arent sure, dont do it.

i dont go for the gunshot method , most likely the car method but ive done the valium + method about 30 yearrs ago on pup with distemper and we had to use a surprisingly large dose of valium. it is difficult to give an overdose but can be done, or , if she is well dosed up on valium, than just plain plastic bag over the nose once she is sleeping., it actually is quite a short time if the dog is elderly and already well dosed up and most likely the least traumatic method (if she is sleeping heavily from valium then it doesnt take long)... and she will be w/o fear and well relaxed due to the valium as well.

i hope u find a method so this wont be drawn out too long. keep her comfortable and pet her plenty until such time as something kicks in.

The drug wasn't nembutal. That is very effective. This stuff isn't effective and I am sure it's quite cheap.

Nembutal is very effective if injected IV but not SC. It takes a long time for the body to absorb the drug through an SC injection and makes it ineffective.

So sorry to hear of your and your dog's horrible predicament. I thought I'd chip in my experience based on working with animals for many years.

I've had to put down various animals up to lamb size, and in the absence of effective drugs have found the most humane way to be a massive blow to the skull with a suitably heavy tool eg club hammer, thick iron bar or back of an axe, that's if you or someone can bring yourself to do it confidently (not sure I could with my own dog). If you swing down with enough force on to the middle of the top of the skull, one blow will render her instantly unconscious, and maybe then follow up with a couple more to make absolutely sure.

It might sound brutal, but I reckon it far more humane than suffocation/drowning.

The fact that she's sleeping/comatose might make it easier for you; you might be able to first cover her head with a thin cloth, so long as there's no chance of your blow glancing off.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to you, and hope her suffering ends soon.

So sorry to hear of your and your dog's horrible predicament. I thought I'd chip in my experience based on working with animals for many years.

I've had to put down various animals up to lamb size, and in the absence of effective drugs have found the most humane way to be a massive blow to the skull with a suitably heavy tool eg club hammer, thick iron bar or back of an axe, that's if you or someone can bring yourself to do it confidently (not sure I could with my own dog). If you swing down with enough force on to the middle of the top of the skull, one blow will render her instantly unconscious, and maybe then follow up with a couple more to make absolutely sure.

It might sound brutal, but I reckon it far more humane than suffocation/drowning.

The fact that she's sleeping/comatose might make it easier for you; you might be able to first cover her head with a thin cloth, so long as there's no chance of your blow glancing off.

jesus what kind of bloke are you to recomend what you have just posted,has someone hit you on the head.

please delete this.

Sorry to read about your distressing time. You could try helium (party balloon) gas or insulin. Was the stuff you injected green colour? If it wasn't green it wasn't nembutol. A sealed up small room with some charcoal burners is another option.

Good luck. Must be very stressful.

I know a guy here in Thailand who had a BIG python and he would help out people who wanted to put down their dogs by gently placing the suffering animal in the cage with the snake. It did not occur often but from time to time - once every year or two maybe.

The snake never botched the attempt!

jesus what kind of bloke are you to recomend what you have just posted,has someone hit you on the head.

please delete this.

Gusgas has given you poor advice. Please don't bludgeon your pet to death. It's not like in the movies. It's actually tough to land a blow square enough and hard enough to actually knock something out. I had a guy offer to put an animal down for me once, and he ended up beating on the poor thing for a couple minutes.

• Like 1