Ministers approve applying Israeli law to West Bank settlers

webfact

Ministers approve applying Israeli law to West Bank settlers
Jeffrey Heller

JERUSALEM: -- A ministerial committee approved a proposed bill on Sunday that would ensure the wholesale application of Israeli law to Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank, a move sponsored by MPs who want Israel to annex part of the territory.

But Justice Minister Tzipi Livni, Israel's chief negotiator in peace talks with the Palestinians that collapsed in April, said she would appeal the decision, effectively putting parliamentary ratification on indefinite hold.

Most countries consider the settlements Israel has built in the West Bank and East Jerusalem to be illegal.

Israel, which captured those territories in a 1967 war, largely adjudicates legal matters relating to the area's 2.4 million Palestinians in military courts.

The area's 350,000 settlers are effectively under the jurisdiction of civilian courts in Israel because parliament has already applied a clutch of laws - primarily criminal and tax laws and military conscription - to them.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/ministers-approve-applying-israeli-law-to-west-bank-settlers-20141110-11jj8b.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-11-10

As a general rule of thumb, anything Tzipi Livni disapproves of is probably a good thing for Palestine, however I can't see the advantages here, except perhaps when a settler drives a car over a Palestinian, there may be more legal pressure for the military to investigate and prosecute.

As a general rule of thumb, anything Tzipi Livni disapproves of is probably a good thing for Palestine, however I can't see the advantages here, except perhaps when a settler drives a car over a Palestinian, there may be more legal pressure for the military to investigate and prosecute.

As a general rule of thumb, it can be counted upon some to posters to sagely comment nonsense without having a clue about

Israeli politics. In some cases, repeatedly.

Livni and her party can safely be termed as part of the pro-peace camp, or, if that's hard to grasp, at least definitely not one

of the right wind politicians and parties.

The move itself was initiated by right wing politicians, and is another fine example of utter silliness, short sight and stoking the

flames when the opposite is needed.

The only way this can be seen as a "good thing" for the Palestinians is by the amount of bad press it will generate for Israel.

Otherwise, it is another attempt by right wing politicians to solidify (by legal means) the Israeli presence in the West Bank, so

as to make altering the situation harder under any future agreements.

• Like 2

As a general rule of thumb, it can be counted upon some to posters to sagely comment nonsense without having a clue about

Livni and her party can safely be termed as part of the pro-peace camp, or, if that's hard to grasp, at least definitely not one

The move itself was initiated by right wing politicians, and is another fine example of utter silliness, short sight and stoking the

The only way this can be seen as a "good thing" for the Palestinians is by the amount of bad press it will generate for Israel.

Otherwise, it is another attempt by right wing politicians to solidify (by legal means) the Israeli presence in the West Bank, so

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a woman that is usually the spokesperson for the IDF who is more right wing than Genghis Khan. Can't think of her name now.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of a woman that is usually the spokesperson for the IDF who is more right wing than Genghis Khan. Can't think of her name now.

Her?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miri_Regev

Former IDF spokesperson. She's now a member of the Likud party, and a supporter of the current legal move.