When should I consider a tractor?

DumbFalang

I say forget about it the military is in the process of repossessing all farm land. They will then redistribute, give the land to poor farmers.

So good luck, maybe you can use the tractor to tow your car around.

If you own farm land now, you may not own it tomorrow.

You will need to buy a new tractor the day your wife and her buffalo refuse to do anymore work whistling.gif

Funnily enough, I've never seen the wife as dedicated as this before. As I type this post, she's in the next room, busy on social networking in farming groups on Facebook. There are absolutely massive Thai communities online that us Falangs don't have access to (unless you understand Thai of course). The daughter in law is involved too. They are both convinced that we don't need to rely on local markets to sell our products. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I say forget about it the military is in the process of repossessing all farm land. They will then redistribute, give the land to poor farmers.

The thai farmers have put up with this sort of scaremongering about the farm land they use for decades.

Use it or lose it.Hand it over to the community whats not being used.

Its not all doom and gloom.

what a load of s,h,i,t,e,

i heard this on the news and if you speak thai, you will no they said they are taking the land back from people whop have just taken it, mostly cleared national park forest land,

yes they are going to give it to poor farmers,

do you understand they just cant come and take your land of you,, chanuke and all that,,,

more scare mungering

• Like 1

I'd start my time over again with a 36hp or 45hp kubota .

A rotary tiller,small boomsprayer,water pump,little seeder and a trailer should get them started.

If your clearing land,keep using the contractor

.....and that's why this forum has been so much help to me. I thought I was buying the thing mainly to clear 10-20 rai of land over the next couple of years, but now I understand that it will be for land that has already been cleared. Makes sense - Thanks for pointing it out.

The purchase of a small tractor is starting to sound better with each post you guys make. My pockets are not deep enough for a new one, but as we have someone in the extended family who fixes tractors for a living, I'm quite comfortable taking a risk on second hand.

Approx how old will tractors be if they are on the market for 100K?

Have all the manufacturers been in the Thai market for a long time, or should I avoid any particular make because of lack of attachments and other parts from that period (guessing over a decade ago)?

Is it OK to buy from a Tractor Sales business, or should I stick to buying direct from the owner? (I won't be showing my Lilly white face in either case)

I think it best to have your BIL go and pick a used one out for you. Have him take his time & reward him handsomely after a year of use. I don't know what attachments run here. Back in Nebraska, there are implement dealers all over the place. Here (and in Kanchanaburi), I don't see many. But my suggestion would be to first rent, see how things go the first year or so, & then, if things are working out, buy. Up2U

• Like 1

When to start and stop?

I've been farming a 100 rai for 10 years now,started with a little L2201 kubota for 150,000.

Last purchase last week was a new dc-70 harvester.(just over a million)

So inbetween ford 6610fwa,boomspraysx2,rototiller,post hole digger,slashersx2,corn seedersx2. 3,4,5 disc ploughs,trailersx2,water pumps,pipes,box scraper,laser level and a paddock service vehicle.

Plus a shed to put it all in and tools to work on it.All up around 3 mill.

As i,m farang i dont contract against locals trying to make a living,just own use.

With this machinery its gives me the oppurtunity to grow 34 rai rice(2crops) and 150rai corn(2crops)in one year with labour kept to myself and one helper.

And most importantly a profit of 500,000 plus a year.

But when to stop buying machinery? NOW.thumbsup.gif

It all started with a cheap 2nd hand tractor.facepalm.gif

I've been staying out of the farming (rice, corn), and specifically buying new land, because I can't determine the profit margin the in-laws work on. That is, what is yield per rai, costs and net profit. I understand the tradition of rice growing and certainly growing for family consumption. But is there enough profit to pay off the tractor purchase? Have you calculated this out?

Of course, our area is only one crop per year so that cuts everything in half. -- Thanks

DF,

ignore the tossers with their nothing to contribute posts. The Ford tractor shop in Chonburi is i believe called Talad Lot Thai or Tractor Market. They import US combine harvesters too, but the majority of their stuff is S/H Fords. You will not believe the size of their operation - huge. They have customers from all over Thailand arriving every day to buy tractors, major parts. I purchased my 4000 (3 cylinder 3,300cc) from them many years ago, and know of at least 4 other Felangs who've been happy with their purchase. The family that runs it is Christian, Sombat, one of the brothers, who is a salesman and the guy who sorts the imports out speaks excellent English, i can't speak highly enough of their business. 038-799995-6, ask for Sombat. www.taladtractor.com. Say Mike from Udon recommended you. If you go the whole hog like i did, when they deliver the 40 year old tractor fully loaded with all the kit, they look brand new. New wiring, rebuilt motor, new clutch, new paint, bloody marvelous.

Mike.

• Like 2

rubber land doesn't need a tractor at all. So this should go out of your calculation.

Only when the rubber trees are saturated (between 17 and 20 years of age) you could consider of using an excavator to remove the leftover strunks after you have cut the rubber trees and sold the wood. But some Thais have told me they leave the strunks & roots in the ground, pour some magic liquid over them so they will rot in the ground faster. Don't know how this works and have never seen it happen. Then they will plant new rubber trees between the leftover strunks.

Me think farming land ( rice, corn, maniok) from 100 rai upward could amortize a tractor, but it stronlgy depends how well arable the lots are and how well one can access them.

How much land does your fil farm that he pays 30,000 baht/year tractor hire?

How much farm experience does your stepson have, his education, age etc.

How was the 100 rai aquired, (purchased, rented, gift)_?

Is irrigation water avaliable or is it a 1 rice crop/year area?

What is your age and how long married/in Thailand?

How much money, in total, will be required to plant the first crop of rice, make the remaining 50 rai ready to plant?

What is a few rai of rubber trees?

Are you planning on bankrolling the entire operation?

Will you be living/working on the land year round, you indicate you have little farm experience?

The answers to these questions may chage the mind of those who would encourage or discourage you

There is approx 100 rai of land and about 50k used for rice.

Stepson is 26, has zero experience of farming and he knows it's going to be tough learning the ropes.

Mother/father in law have owned the land for decades and although I fully understand why you are asking, it is not a concern.

3 ponds plus 3 boreholes. 1 rice crop a year.

I've just clocked up half a century and been married 20..... or is it 200?

Bankrolling is a big word. I'm just giving my son and daughter in law a helping hand until they get on their feet.

Me and the missus plan to spend October to February there. Son and his wife will be there permanently.

I appreciate your concern about me getting ripped off. I've heard all the same stories, but rather than getting bogged down on that subject, I'd prefer if everyone could accept that I have it all in hand and let's focus on whether or not I should consider a tractor.

New Kubota will pay for itself. The multitude of add ons will fill all your needs plus +++++ village use if you make a rental list and stick to it..

When to start and stop?

I've been farming a 100 rai for 10 years now,started with a little L2201 kubota for 150,000.

Last purchase last week was a new dc-70 harvester.(just over a million)

So inbetween ford 6610fwa,boomspraysx2,rototiller,post hole digger,slashersx2,corn seedersx2. 3,4,5 disc ploughs,trailersx2,water pumps,pipes,box scraper,laser level and a paddock service vehicle.

Plus a shed to put it all in and tools to work on it.All up around 3 mill.

As i,m farang i dont contract against locals trying to make a living,just own use.

With this machinery its gives me the oppurtunity to grow 34 rai rice(2crops) and 150rai corn(2crops)in one year with labour kept to myself and one helper.

And most importantly a profit of 500,000 plus a year.

But when to stop buying machinery? NOW.thumbsup.gif

It all started with a cheap 2nd hand tractor.facepalm.gif

I've been staying out of the farming (rice, corn), and specifically buying new land, because I can't determine the profit margin the in-laws work on. That is, what is yield per rai, costs and net profit. I understand the tradition of rice growing and certainly growing for family consumption. But is there enough profit to pay off the tractor purchase? Have you calculated this out?

Of course, our area is only one crop per year so that cuts everything in half. -- Thanks

All my machinery purchases have come with off farm money.Money made from farm goes into associated farm costs for the following year and helps with living expenses.

There's always one genaration that gets the raw deal setting land up.

Our land is traditionally one crop per year (corn) but now with direct seeding machine,boomspray and harvester i can squeeze two crops in.

So your question of can the profit pay off tractor purchase?I would say yes with extra contracting work,but i wouldn't like to do it at the start.

Some costs are unavoidable,chemicals fertiliser seed.But how you plant,maintain and harvest your crop has a lot of variables where money can be saved once you have your own machinery.

• Like 2

rubber land doesn't need a tractor at all. So this should go out of your calculation.

Only when the rubber trees are saturated (between 17 and 20 years of age) you could consider of using an excavator to remove the leftover strunks after you have cut the rubber trees and sold the wood. But some Thais have told me they leave the strunks & roots in the ground, pour some magic liquid over them so they will rot in the ground faster. Don't know how this works and have never seen it happen. Then they will plant new rubber trees between the leftover strunks.

Me think farming land ( rice, corn, maniok) from 100 rai upward could amortize a tractor, but it stronlgy depends how well arable the lots are and how well one can access them.

Really?

# So, say you've got a medium sized plantation of 50 rai of rubber, what cleans that land up initially?

# What cleans the land in between the 7m rows the first 3 years?

# What cuts the grass 4 years onwards and even now (11 years) between the 7m rows?

# What carries a ton of fertilizer around the land in a rear box or trailer?

# Good rubber trees still producing can be 30-35 years old, not 17-20.

Anything else?

Nonsense, I've got over 1000 hrs on my Kubota doing only work on my rubber farm, bought it in 2009.

I've got 100 rai of rubber that's been planted in stages from 2006-2010, Up until 50 rai of land I rented out the field work and it was poorly done.

After I hit the 70 rai mark I bought my own 45hp Kubota with rototiller, plow and grass cutter. Best money I've spent here. The field work was done the way I wanted it and when I wanted it done.

DF:

I agree with some of the other actual farmers on the thread, 100k might get you a tractor, but in a year or so you'll realize you need more power,attachements, and the ongoing repairs.

I bought a 45 hp Kubota in 2009 and have used it myself and it still looks like new. No mechanical problems at all. Terrific motor and drive train in it, the metal cowling is a little flimsy and I dislike the plastic pieces but that does keep the price down.

I don't think you need the 6610 Ford size but something in the 45-50hp range should do the trick.

I don't believe some people that think you need huge tractors for 100 or so Rai, I grew up on a farm in Canada that was quite small 400 acres, 1000 Rai equivalent. We farmed it most of my life with a little Farmall tricycle frontend tractor that makes my Kubota look like a Ferrari. You just have to keep the wheels turning.

• Like 2

Hi Thaiguzzi / Mike, I have only ever seen the workers cut the grass ? I thought it was the norm. Or maybe its different in different areas. Nobody in this area with rubber tree farms own a tractor. Pui is delivered bythe sellr of the pui fertilizer . For the first years of the trees life , they grow pineaples sapalot between the rows to keep the grass down. They do this untill the canopy blocks the sun and the pineaples or whatever they r growing can no longer survive. Thencut the grass 1 ir 2 times a year after that . Genrally hiring a tractor for us lazey farang or the thais do it using a whippersnioper with a blade . 90% of this area r rubber tree farmers. They know 300,000bart of tractor or whatever it cost and running costs ontop r a lot . Especially when rubber is 22 to 25 bart per kilo. Thai farmers would rather spend that money on another piece of land or car or gambling or mia noi .

So what I think the man was trying to refer to when he said u dont need a tractor for rubber tree farming is . If u like to not spend the money coz cant justify the extra expense, or dont have the money on a tractor for rubber tree farming , really u dont need it . But if u like to have a tractor u can .

Cheers cobbler

Edited by cobbler

Wat th f¥€k Edited by cobbler

The idea is to make money from farming...until you know for sure...that farming is the direction you wish to spend your time and money...I would suggest you hire a local to do your tractor work...it will be a fraction of the cost for having to purchase, maintain, and try to secure...a personal farm tractor...

If you are wildly successful in your farming adventure...then by all means...purchase a good tractor and use it as a portion of your tax write-offs when doing your taxes...

I personally would try to network with other farang farmers in your area...find out the pros and cons of their farming experience...

Good Luck!

• Like 1