Savannaket not such a soft option, caution re Oz income declaration

Hi guys, reading all the great info here for a while. There's been a lot of talk about the consulate at Savannaket. I came to Thailand on a tourist visa, have decided to stay on. Thought I would try for a non-O while I was up this way, mukdahan. I am 50+, had a stat dec from Aussie embassy for my income, 95,000 baht/month, printed off bank statements and dividend income statements, a whole heap of backup proof of earnings. I go into the consulate today with a non o, and a tourist visa application filled out. Try the non o first, guy looks thru the forms and says no. They cannot give a non o for retirement, and anyway my stat dec is "no good " because it is signed by a consular assistant not the consul himself, even though it has an embassy stamp.

They did give me a double entry tourist visa though. That gives me time to put money in a Thai bank and use that method instead of the income declaration.

Or should I just try again somewhere else ? Vientiane? Penang?

Although he did not say there was anything wrong with the application forms, I did wonder if he was being difficult because I filled in the form myself instead of using the guys outside ? No, they would n't be getting a cut would they? ???

I entered Thailand with a single-entry Tourist visa at the end of April and was granted an extension on the basis of retirement right here in Pattaya - Jomtien Immigration. Much simpler than leaving Thailand.

Yes, in an ideal world I would have planned better and convert.ed to a non o but I do not have the funds in a Thai bank for that method at the moment, which is why I was going to try the income method for a new visa. But leaving Thailand for a day is pretty simple here, just hop on the bus !

I have to say that savanaket looks a lot better from here on my balcony at the Riverfront Hotel, with a beer in hand, than it did during the day. Glad it was same day service.

Hi fellas I got a 60 day from hull in UK but can I get it extendd like I'm 52 and cud bring sum money over to put in bank if needed 20 k sum one told me Imneeded?

Not sure already got ripped of with taxi today :-(

I'm in Bangkok is thre like a best place to do visa an can Impay someone to do it all for me as I ain't too good on forms an stuff, but so un who won't rip me off. I can go were ever like its no,problem.

Cheers

were you applying for a single type O or multiple - as far as I can remember no funding is required for single then you just convert it at local immigration to 12 month extension

That is only for a non o based on marriage, is n't it ? If you are single and applying for a retirement non o, you do need proof of funds or income, if I understand things correctly. But I know that does not sound logical !

But anyway Savanaket consulate said they cannot issue a non o for retirement, whether the stat dec from Aussie embassy was any good or not.

Edited by Mickmick

Australian Stat Decs are solid in Australia, but I guess Thai immigration officials realise that the system [may be][is] abused in Thailand.

Last two times I used stat decs, I was asked to show supporting tax/bank statements. AA

I entered Thailand with a single-entry Tourist visa at the end of April and was granted an extension on the basis of retirement right here in Pattaya - Jomtien Immigration. Much simpler than leaving Thailand.

Jomtein no longer do the conversion to non'o' before applying for one year extension. it would require a trip to Bangkok first.

go back to the Consulate if you can and get the head honcho to sign it after all you paid for it

I also find it weird that if you turn the stat dec over the variety of people that can sign it is large

but they need to see that magic stamp and that magic signature

I never had to show any bank statements or where the money came from

but that was before lunch on a Wednesday after lunch the rules had changed

According to the information counter are Savannakhet they need a letter from the embassy which states that you are retired.

As well the immigration in Bangkok would require this letter when converting the Tourist to a Non - Imm -O visa.

Is that correct?

The only thing you need from your embassy is a document verifying your 65k baht income if your are using income for the financial proof.

• Like 1

Hi fellas I got a 60 day from hull in UK but can I get it extendd like I'm 52 and cud bring sum money over to put in bank if needed 20 k sum one told me Imneeded?

I'm in Bangkok is thre like a best place to do visa an can Impay someone to do it all for me as I ain't too good on forms an stuff, but so un who won't rip me off. I can go were ever like its no,problem.

Cheers

Are you really 52?

• Like 2

go back to the Consulate if you can and get the head honcho to sign it after all you paid for it

I also find it weird that if you turn the stat dec over the variety of people that can sign it is large

but they need to see that magic stamp and that magic signature

I never had to show any bank statements or where the money came from

but that was before lunch on a Wednesday after lunch the rules had changed

It had the embassy stamp, on the proper form, and according to the list a consular officer is authorised to sign it ...but it was pointless arguing with guy behind the counter at savanaket. He is God in his little world. At least I got a double tourist visa, I will probably just convert that into non o at immigration. I will just have to put 800000 baht into a bank (unless immigration would take the stat dec about income? )

I might send the oz embassy an email to query it though.

At least it was only 570 baht, a lot cheaper than other countries apparently ?

Cheers

I think you should go home before those evil Thais take full advantage of you,you are not ready yet Moo.

• Like 1

what really surprises me is that Australians can go to their Embassy and submit a declaration of earnings without evidence and they will endorse It without any proof whatsoever - so basically you can say anything you like about earnings and you get the letter.......not faulting it but sooner or later the Thais are going to realise this - the USA is very similar but who is checking and who gives a (deleted) - The UK are entirely different - you have got to produce evidence to the Embassy or you're shafted

I might suggest trying Bangkok buddy it is located on Sukhumvit where Jacks golf use to be. For a fee There do all the paperwork and you come back in 2 days pickup passport with retirement extension in your passport book no muss no fuss. goggle it for phone number.

I don't know if this will be of any help. I often came to Thailand on a tourist visa before I elected to retire here. I contacted the lawyers who advertise on this site and they undertook everything for me without any dramas. This included completing all the necessary paperwork, setting up my bank account, taking me there to do this, and conveying me to immigration where everything was completed within a few hours of the same day.

Admittedly, I was in Australia when the process was initiated, the lawyers emailed all the papers to me, I downloaded them, signed and then sent to the Thai consulate. After they was returned in about two weeks I travelled to Thailand, where I met the lawyers and everything was completed. This however, was done with the necessary B$800,000.00 in my account.

I don't know if the same process can be completed whilst you are in Thailand but I think a call to them would soon let you know the easiest way that this could be done and alleviate all the unnecessary stress that seems to arise when it comes to making these applications. Sure it costs a bit but not over the top. It appears you want to use your income as the main source for your visa, which is ok as you seem to have ample, so why give yourself a headache and have to run around all over the place when just one phone call could be your passport to living in this good country, with everything being completed for you by experts who know.

Edited by Si Thea01

I'm planning on going to Savannaket next Tuesday to apply for a single entry non-O based on marriage.

I'm from the U.S. do I or should I show proof of funds from U.S. embassy? Would it be wise to have a affidavit just in case? I thought Savannakhet did not require this.

I'm planning on going to Savannaket next Tuesday to apply for a single entry non-O based on marriage.

I'm from the U.S. do I or should I show proof of funds from U.S. embassy? Would it be wise to have a affidavit just in case? I thought Savannakhet did not require this.

You will not need financial proof for a non-o based upon marriage.

They only ask for it if applying for one based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

• Like 1

I, personally, have had no problem having my Stat Dec accepted in the past here in Nong Khai. The document I have witnessed at the Oz Embassy, Bangkok (suits me as I have relatives there and my wife and I have a brief holiday). In response to a question, Immigration have advised me that the same document issued from the Oz Embassy in Vientiane would be acceptable. Technically (via a government pamphlet) that Stat Dec should be stamped by Thai Foreign Affairs to establish veracity: I've never bothered. I am due next month for my annual renewal so it will be interesting to see if there have been changes. As a back-up I shall take my SCB passbook with me that shows the monthly deposits from my DVA pension. As an aside, a few mates here lately have had friendly visits to their residence from Immigration.

They only ask for it if applying for one based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

And they ask for a letter from your embassy, stating that you are retired (what shall that be?). Financial proof is not enough!

You quoted my post out of context. That was referring to financial proof and nothing more.

There is no letter needed saying you are retired for a visa or extension of stay. The only letter from an embassy would be one to prove your income if that was the method of financial proof you were using.

And they ask for a letter from your embassy, stating that you are retired (what shall that be?). Financial proof is not enough!

You quoted my post out of context. That was referring to financial proof and nothing more.

There is no letter needed saying you are retired for a visa or extension of stay. The only letter from an embassy would be one to prove your income if that was the method of financial proof you were using.

Sorry ubonjoe, I just intended to shorten it for better readability.

However yesterday, the officer at Savannakhet (I know his name, but don't want to post it) refused several people with the financial proof of having 800 kTHB in their account, even with a confirmation letter of their bank.

Literally he said: You need a letter from your embassy, that states that you are really a retiree. The age over 50, the bank book and the letter from the bank isn't enough.

I've been sitting there for a while and have been talking to another three guys, who experienced the same. Some more still discussed with this officer and were refused. Okay, one of these guys just had his updated bank book with him, but the three other guys I've been talking to, had the confirmation letter from their bank.

Asking again the female officer at the information desk, she seconded that you need this letter from your embassy from now on. She even informed, that converting a tourist visa to a non-imm-o at BKK will not be possible anymore without this letter.

Of course non of us even heard or read about a retiree confirmation by an embassy. All of the people, applying for a non-imm-o visa (retirement), were provided with tourist visa only, when I was around.

Just a bad day or did the rules really change?

Edited by kdrayong