Bangkok Will Be " City Of Life"

george

Bangkok will be "City of Life" : Governor

BANGKOK: -- City Governor Apirak Kosayodhin vowed on Tuesday to make Bangkok the 'City of Life' in his third year at the helm.

He was speaking after publication of 300,000 copies of a book highlighting the successful work of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) in the two years of his management.

"In the third year, the BMA will push Bangkok to be a lively place of the same standard as the world's other leading cities," he said.

He wants to provide efficient services and to campaign against corruption among city officers.

Apirak said that over the past two years the most outstanding achievement had been to improve the quality of life and environment for Bangkok residents. The improvement could be seen from the number of new public parks and green areas along roads.

"Moreover, the BMA has succeeded in pushing forward the construction of the Skytrain extension, art centre and electronic library," Apirak said.

He said the BMA would also create the symbol of the city as a Thai decorative flower with four petals. The colour of each petal would signify a different meaning. The symbol would make tourists recognise Bangkok and also serve as a stamp on products, foods or services that meet the standards of the city.

--TNA 2006-08-01

Does anyone else think that a flower with four petals and each petal being a different color would probably be sort of absurd? Maybe some artist will come up with something acceptable but its hard for me to imagine this ending up being aesthetically pleasing....it sort of reminds me of the art done by my 5 year old niece....which is of course outstanding....but still clearly the work of a 5 year old.

Also the color of each petal will be a different meaning....but they're not saying what the colors or the meanings will be....could it be that they haven't made it up yet? Could it be that they are casting about for some colors and meanings? Maybe we should have a brainstorming session right here on TV and come up with some colors and meanings....green stands for greed?...pink stands for massage parlors?...grey stands for the rising flood waters?...yellow stands for bananas?

Sorry if I'm being synical but I'm not usually up this early and....well....I feel cynical.....how the heck do you spell that mthr forkn mbmble groan....

Edited by chownah

Better than "City of Death" any day! :o

I thought that was Paris, at least according to Dr Who. The previous writer was correct when he talked about the night life, and if we are talking about a city of life, what does he propose to do about the pollution and creating more green spaces?

Well, well, well elections, pollution, rising floodwaters, early closing hours... complaims, complains, complains... anybody happy out there?

Just been to the City of Angels and must say it has improved quite a lot. Ovations to Apirak, his predecessors and the BMA!

Any other City of that size with such high quality of living, entertainment, etc.?

He who needs pristine nature and lives in Bkk has simply made a wrong decision - but can reverse it anytime!