Thai police superintendents warned to look after their men‏

webfact

Police superintendents warned to look after their men‏

10-11-2557-22-40-55-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police comemanders have been warned that they will face tough actions if they fail to properly look after their subordinates to the point that they decide to commit suicide.

The warning was issued by Pol Gen Somyos Poompanmuang, the national police chief, after the disclosure of a statistics which shows high suicide rates among the police.

The statistics show that from January this year until November 7, a total of34 policemen committed suicide. There were altogether 172 suicides from 2008 to 2013 with 47 suicides in 2012 which are the highest rate within a year.

The statistics also show that 56.93 percent of the suicides were officers of the rank of acting sub-lieutenant and 44.19 percent in the age group of between 41-50. 74.42 percent of the suicides involve officers in suppression affairs.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-superintendents-warned-look-men%e2%80%8f/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-11

I hadn't realized the numbers were so high and focused with the majority of sub-lieutenants.

Isn't this the position that controls all the lowest level police? He would be the one that makes the collections and forwards the better % to the higher level police officiails.

It is not hard to imagine the pressure put on these guys especially if they don't have enough money than was expected.

The mafia in the USA has sub-lieutenants also whose sole job was collections and controlling the goons.

If there was a shortage of money he was the one responsible and the one to take the fall if their were discrepancies.

Although i am not trying to say the RTP is akin to the mafia heheee. The similarities are still there.

Are they sure so many were actually suicides? Or staged?

• Like 1

would be of more interest if they stated the reasons behind the deaths ...maybe not everyone who joins the thai polce wants to be corrupt but are forced into the parasitic ways by higher ranks

Spot on! I know some Thai policemen who refused to be corrupt and took positions where they have nothing to do with it. I deeply respect those.

They don't dare to say that inside the police force though.

As you reap, so shall you sow........ Can't help but feel that being part of

such a rotten and corrupt organization has to put a lot of pressure on the

people doing the money collecting. Same concept applies for dentists in America.

They also have a high suicide rate, with the theory being since they

constantly inflict pain upon their patients, it makes them depressed.

So same for the Thai police, who constantly inflict pain upon the Thai

people.... :-)

would be of more interest if they stated the reasons behind the deaths ...maybe not everyone who joins the thai polce wants to be corrupt but are forced into the parasitic ways by higher ranks

Spot on! I know some Thai policemen who refused to be corrupt and took positions where they have nothing to do with it. I deeply respect those.

Read the book Serpico, about a New York city policeman who refused to

be part of the corruption going on in the dept there. He faced a lot of

pressure, since if you do not go along with the corruption you are looked

upon as a threat.... Hey maybe that is Thailand needs, a Thai version

of Serpico. Haha just kidding, he would be killed instantly here.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

It is doubtful that a police superintendent would see signs of suicide tendencies in their flock , the best thing of course is a no holds Royal commission investigation, no restrictions into the management and performance of the RTP and sort out the B/S from the wheat or in Thailand's case rice. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Read the book Serpico, about a New York city policeman who refused to

be part of the corruption going on in the dept there. He faced a lot of

pressure, since if you do not go along with the corruption you are looked

upon as a threat.... Hey maybe that is Thailand needs, a Thai version

of Serpico. Haha just kidding, he would be killed instantly here.

Edited by scratchy

Such a heart-warming story about the clowns-in-brown. If the police are offing themselves in record numbers, then perhaps it's time for some mental and emotional therapy from trained psychologists to intervene. Oh, that's right, psychology is taboo here. Wouldn't want anyone to think you were "crazy." Never mind. My bet is that a lot of the pressure the subordinates are feeling comes from their superintendents, so why entrust them with such a serious task? Oh, that's right. That's just the way it is here, you cow to elders and authority without question. Okay, never mind.

Remember the story of the cop who was run over by the Red-bull heir who was driving high on coke? Remember how the first responders tried to cover it up? It took a decent cop with integrity to say, "Whoa, he's one of ours. Can't mask this one." Never-the-less, even with transparency, the Red-Bull kid never showed up to any arraignments and I think a paltry cash settlement was meted out to the deceased's family. With that kind of justice, no wonder suicide rates are high.

Sorry to go off topic slightly.

A couple of decades ago when on holiday, long before moving here, there was a revealing article in the BP that the then National Police Chief had ordered senior officers to spend their time in their offices and not on the golf course.

Like so many other things here the boss knew what was happening but other than talk, then and now, no other action is taken.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I know I am going out on a limb here, but am pretty sure that the suicide rate for

the police generals that live in mansions and have flocks of mia nois, is quite low..

But they do not have the stress of beating money out of people.

No but they have the stress of ensuring all their wide ranging scams are still "profitable" and don't forget they now have the added challenges of deterring the muscling in on their activities by the General and his military thugs, so that will increase stress levels.

What the story was really saying has not anything to do with stress it was just a hidden message to look after their men better in other ways. In other words they should make sure that their subordinates retain more of their money from the RTP criminal activities as the Generals men may make them a better offer ?

Presumably those positions where they have nothing to do with corruption are the infamous "inactive posts" that civil servants are often transferred to as punishment. Fair play to those who volunteer for them.

so why become a policeman in the first place if you want to be squeaky clean, they as Thais know better than we do what goes on. I can't imagine that a Thai would want to be Don Quixote and fight with windmills, they generally bend with the wind.

I don't believe the rate is even as high as the general population when, in fact

policemen everywhere do have a higher rate of suicide. ( maybe because they have guns ), Just because moreThai cops are offing themselves is no reason to believe nor panic over the numbers shown

Wonder how many were 'involuntary' suicides where they were given a helping hand! Given the numerous rumors of police involvement in seedy activities, it would be likely that some would fall out of favor and become a problem.

And of course the Thai police determination of 'suicide' often differs from that of the rest of us.

so it's just the men killing themselves then, the women are immune?

You don't often see women in the RTP in positions where they can get close to the trough. They often get the jobs the others don't want.....so maybe the women are more likely to be in the job because they want to help people??? or not.