Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered

webfact

Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered
BEN TUFFT

LONDON: -- A virus that infects human brains and makes us more stupid has been discovered, according to scientists in the US.

The algae virus, never before observed in healthy people, was found to affect cognitive functions including visual processing and spatial awareness.

Scientists at Johns Hopkins Medical School and the University of Nebraska stumbled upon the discovery when they were undertaking an unrelated study into throat microbes.

Surprisingly, the researchers found DNA in the throats of healthy individuals that matched the DNA of a virus known to infect green algae.

Dr Robert Yolken, a virologist who led the original study, said: “This is a striking example showing that the ‘innocuous’ microorganisms we carry can affect behaviour and cognition.

“Many physiological differences between person A and person B are encoded in the set of genes each inherits from parents, yet some of these differences are fuelled by the various microorganisms we harbour and the way they interact with our genes.”

Full story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/virus-that-makes-humans-more-stupid-discovered-9849920.html

-- THE INDEPENDENT 2014-11-11

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WEBFACT, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

Now I can die at peace with myself knowing it was not my fault!

P.S. Is the disease in question curable?

I used to believe that if you haven't got it (brains) - you can't get it from the Chemist.

Maybe I was wrong all my life? Or talking to the wrong Chemist?

Edited by ABCer

Study shows throat virus may affect human brain function

FEELING unusually stupid? You may have a virus. A recent study by US scientists has revealed a bug that saps your mental processing powers.

Researchers from the John Hopkins Medical School and the University of Nebraska made the unexpected discovery while studying throat infections.

When they found the unfamiliar virus, they decided to run a check on its DNA.

It was found to match chlorovirus ATCV1 — a virus previously thought only infecting green algae in lakes and waterways.

They did not expect to find it in 40 of the 90 people they were studying for sore throats.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/study-shows-throat-virus-may-affect-human-brain-function/story-fneuzlbd-1227118099421

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-11-11

At last, an explanation of many posts made on this forum.

ps....yes, I may be infected as well.

i posted last week about this so its not news.IDIOTITUS it shuts down the brain but keeps the mouth talking.its been around a long time.

OH SHUT UP the wife keeps telling me.

40 out of 90 subjects. About 44%. That's quite high, but not as high as I would expect.

It's a bit scary that you can get infected, not appear ill, just become stupid.

Having recently suffered some pointless bickering from a chap who I suspect has his mental faculties affected by age, this article makes me wonder if there is a link to dementia. Logically, the longer you are around, the higher your chance of becoming infected.

Mind you, this is not the first microbe that has been shown to affect behaviour. Toxoplasmosis, or crazy cat lady disease was one found many years ago.

Wiki;'Crazy cat lady syndrome' is a term coined by news organizations to describe scientific findings that link the parasite Toxoplasma gondii to several mental disorders and behavioral problems.

• Like 2