are mobile phones safe and secure to buy and use in Thailand?

ghost writer

Hello all, I have a question - has anyone else experienced unusual activity on their mobile phone? I bought a Samsung mobile from Tucom in Pattaya recently and it has pre loaded Chinese apps. I read an article online about Tucom in Pattaya selling Chinese fake mobile phones loaded with malware and it has got me thinking maybe I am being hacked.

Would appreciate any feedback

cheers

Original Samsung phones have a lot of app pre-installed, but not Chinese. It might be a grey market import from HKG.

Best to check the serial number and do some Google search.

Best to buy from Samsung outlet.

Edited by StefanBBK
  • Like 2

Thanks Stefan, I have now installed anti virus software on the phone, nothing flagged up on the anti virus scan but I cannot remove the Chinese app - seems to be linked to Google Play services. The link I read about this is http://howtomakemoneyinthailand.com/buying-a-mobile-phone-in-thailand/ where they talk about installing TOR (The Onion Ring) software to ensure no one can intercept data, which I think I will try - I definitely won't buy anything from Tucom again!

• Like 1

TOR may be a little overkill for a normal user. But having a good and easy-to-use VPN with malware protection might be a good idea (on top of an antivirus program). I use Freedome by F-Secure, a 1-click app that keeps the bad boys away. Not free but pretty inexpensive.

If the price was a lot cheaper than normal then possibly a fake. I've been shown S4 phones for less than half the regular price but looked just like the real thing. When asked the seller told me it was a copy, and if you went deep in to the settings a few things didn't add-up, but pretty impressive all the same.

Chris DiBona, Open Source Programs Manager at Google, certainly thought so when he released an update tackling the topic on his Google+ account back in November, 2011. In it, he argued that: “Yes, virus companies are playing on your fears to try to sell you bs protection software for Android, RIM and iOS. They are charlatans and scammers. IF you work for a company selling virus protection for Android, RIM or iOS, you should be ashamed of yourself.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/do-you-need-antivirus-on-android/#ixzz3IlDlOxNq
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

• Like 1

What makes something "fake"? Unless you were wanting/intentionally buying a specific model and later realized that it wasn't genuine or authentic. EXAMPLE: You want an iPhone 6 but later find out its got Nokia parts with an iPhone 6 shell.

Otherwise you bought a phone and got a phone...and everyone knows that phones all over the world are sold with configurationd/specs that are different in different countries. Almost all phones will come with pre-installed apps aka. "bloatware", especially those phones that are subsidized by a service provider. (ie: USA phones)

There is a process referred to as "jailbreaking" or "Rooting" your phone that allows you to gain full access and delete those unwanted programs.

BE CAREFUL: Its the same as going into the registry of your computer. If you don't know what you're doing you could wind up "bricking" your phone rendering it totally useless like a brick.

As with anything you buy anywhere you must do your due diligence and don't assume.

Thanks Stefan, I have now installed anti virus software on the phone, nothing flagged up on the anti virus scan but I cannot remove the Chinese app - seems to be linked to Google Play services. The link I read about this is http://howtomakemoneyinthailand.com/buying-a-mobile-phone-in-thailand/ where they talk about installing TOR (The Onion Ring) software to ensure no one can intercept data, which I think I will try - I definitely won't buy anything from Tucom again!

Tor is definitely overkill. Try to disable the app if you can't unistall it. Let me know if you need help.
  • Like 1

Basically all smartphones come preloaded with lots of crap/bloatware (like my Samsung purchased at Tesco in Thailand).

Seems like the topic starter has fallen into a trap by getting a phone preconfigured for the Chinese market (Chinese bloatware).

And the annoyance is, that you can not get rid off by normal means.

Disable as StefanBKK writes.

Rooting: hands off if you are not a techie and want to spend a lot of effort.

A smartphone operated as root is THE real security thread.

Not buy at Tukcom: a generalization that does not make sense.

You just have to make sure, that you get a brand-new device, as many stalls offer second hand devices for a low price.

I bought a Nokia there the other day. Definitely genuine. Updates already installed.

I was shown a Samsung. The price was low. When I asked if it was a copy, the seller said 'Yes.'. I declined it. At least they were honest about it being a copy.

• Like 1