Veterans Remembrance Day

Ashamed that your country, whatever that is, remembers those who died for it?

Today is a day to remember the fallen, not for casting blame upon the politicians and other causes of war.

Armistice Day: Two-minute silence for fallen

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam

poppy_soldier_460_230.jpg

We will remember them!

• Like 2

To the two members that read my partial post - I attached a job of a newspaper column I wrote that would have made you realize my statements were in full support of veterans. Sadly, it does not show up on line. Why? I do not know but it has happened to me before and I emailed the webmaster but got no reply. They seem to have no problem with getting popups and advertising in one's face at every turn, but... ...

For what it is worth now, I am trying to upload it again.post-179708-0-68593000-1415765582_thumb.

whistling.gif Personal opinion:

I am an American, but I am not ashamed of my country.

The politicians that have represented it, and that includes the current ones, I can be ashamed of.

The politicians are NOT the country..

Never forget that, the politicians are just servants we hired temporarily to work for us.

Never forget that.

But since this is a topic about Veterans Day, my Grandfather was a veteran from WW1, my unles and father were WW2 vets, and I am a Vietnam vet.

But that does not make me blindly accept everything politicians do in the name of my country.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Well, paullhen, based on that article you certainly have reasons to be angry at various organisations in Canada and the Canadian government, but I cannot agree with the headline of your article.

Your argument is with the organisations you wrote about in your article; not with the fallen.

You should remember the fallen.

Particularly on November the 11th.

BTW, both my grandfathers served in WW1 and my father was among the many who volunteered in September 1939 when war with Germany was declared and served in the RAF until 1946.

My mother also served in what was then the Auxiliary Territorial Service, since merged with the Women's Royal Army Corps, from 1940 until 1944, only leaving because she was pregnant with my eldest brother.

Happily, all came through the experience relatively unscathed; although my father was injured when a truck he was in hit a land mine in Belgium in 1944.