Colchicine (for gout) isn't having any effect

giddyup

I had the worst attack of gout ever three days ago, I immediately started with Colchicine 0.6mg taking about 4 a day, but after 3 days my knee is still swollen and too painful to walk on. I want to start taking Allopurinol daily to prevent further attacks, but the pharmacist said it would be better to get a blood test first, I assume to check kidney and liver function, In the meantime do I just have to wait it out?

You shouldn't take alupirinol whilst your having an acute attack. I would recommend Voltarol to help ease the pan and swelling, but it sounds like you will have to wait it out.

If you are susceptible to attacks you should get your bloods taken

You shouldn't take alupirinol whilst your having an acute attack. I would recommend Voltarol to help ease the pan and swelling, but it sounds like you will have to wait it out.

If you are susceptible to attacks you should get your bloods taken

I'm aware not to take Allopurinol whilst having an attack, that's why I'm waiting for the pain and swelling to go first.

• Like 1

Blood test: when they take your blood today, you have all the results tomorrow.....It goes very fast.

(Considering you are in Bangkok, or maybe also the other big cities, else it might be a day longer).

I have had several blood tests in the last couple of years and know I have high uric acid as well as liver and kidney function not as good as they could be.

Actually blood tests can be performed within an hour - mine are always done in that time at hospital - and once on the allopurinol treatment starts you should check every few months to find dosage required to keep it within normal range - and occasional tests to be sure no adverse damage being caused by the treatment (especially if already bad indications observed per above).

Anti inflammatories like Indomethacin (Indocid) or Ibuprofen seems to work better in acute gout than any other; especially the Indocid suppository. May be worth a try but support the notion to get a blood test for both uric acid levels as well as kidney functions.

In the mean time be sure to take in lots of fluids.