Police nab Liberians for 200k black money scam

Lite Beer

Police nab Liberians for 200k black money scam

1415771888_1-org.jpg

BANGKOK: Immigration police have arrested and charged two Liberian men for allegedly swindling a Russian man out of 200,000 baht in a black money scam.

Mcarthur Kerry and John Hill, both 40, were arrested outside a hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 6 in Klong Toey district, Pol Maj Gen Warawut Sawasdee, chief of the Immigration Police Bureau's investigation division told reporters yesterday. He did not say when the pair were arrested.

The pair were detained after a Russian man, who was not named, told police he had been cheated by the men, one of whom pretended to be a Ghanaian cabinet minister.
The Russian man said he had placed an advert online to sell his boat.

The Liberians contacted him and offered to buy the boat priced at US$1 million (31 million baht).
After the deal was agreed, the Russian was asked by the Liberians to give them 200,000 baht, saying they needed the money to secure the transfer of US$1 million from Ghana. The Russian agreed and wired the money.

The two suspects later met the Russian and gave him a briefcase they claimed contained US$1 million. However, they told him the banknotes were sprayed with a black chemical for security reasons. Before the banknotes could be used, the chemical must rinsed off with a solution costing US$300,000, they said.

The suspects asked the Russian to pay for the solution, promising to refund the money later.
The Russian then became suspicious and went to the police.
Pol Maj Gen Warawut said this type of fraud was common. He urged the public to exercise caution when making any kind of online transaction.

Meanwhile, an American national, wanted in his home country for making fake US passports, has been arrested by Chon Buri immigration police.
Police said Kwame Rasheed Jackson was arrested at a condominium in Pattaya, but did not say when the arrest took place.

Immigration Police Division 1 chief Pol Col Chayawut Chansomboon said Mr Jackson faces an arrest warrant in the US for producing counterfeit American passports.
His arrest was in response to a request made by the US embassy.

He entered Thailand on Oct 1, police said. Immigration police are in the process of deporting Mr Jackson back to the US.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-nab-liberians-for-200k-black-money-scam-49606.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Immigration Police apprehend several foreign criminals hiding in Thailand

BANGKOK, 12 November 2014 (NNT) - The Thai Immigration Police have arrested two Liberian men who have escaped to Thailand in a black money scam. One of them also pretended that he was a Cabinet Minister from Ghana.

Police Lieutenant General Sakda Chuenpakdi, the Acting Immigration Bureau Chief, announced that the police have arrested Mr. McArthur Kerry and Mr. John Hughes. The two Liberian men were responsible for swindling 200,000 baht from a Russian man and an additional $300,000 from him for a liquid to rinse off the black money.

According to the scam, the money has been sprayed with a black chemical to avoid detection from Customs officials. In order to re-use it again, the victim had to pay for a liquid solution to ‘rinse off the banknotes’. The Liberian conmen promised that they would refund the money later. Therefore, the Russian man turned to the Chonburi Immigration Police.

In a separate case, the police have also arrested Kwame Rasheed Jackson and David Jeremy Gall, both of whom have arrest warrants against them from the United States. The men were responsible for passport forgery, burglary, and engaging in unauthorized online transactions.

Thirdly, the police have apprehended Mr. Patrick Lagrou, a Belgian national who was been charged with marijuana cultivation and is now taking refuge in Phangnga province. Police would blacklist him from entering the country and deport him back to Belgium.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-12 footer_n.gif

I have absolutely NO sympathy for those that get scammed here any longer. They are all <deleted> stupid greedy morons and deserve all they get for falling for these types of scams that have been going on for years and years.

You don't get something for nothing in this life.

• Like 1

Great story......a Russian giving Africans 200K.......and another $300K for "special rinse".....and they grab the money and run!

Don't believe this is real..............and on the chance that it is......then the scammers have worked well and the Russian's an idiot!

• Like 1

Hopefully those Liberians - when entering the country - were properly checked for something much more worrisome than a money scam : ebola !

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.
  • Like 1

Again... another story about Tourists being bad....

and again... we dont have the usual photos of these bad people, surrounded by Thai Police....

Is this a new trend for journalism or is this just the start of fake news being created?

This is the first time "Liberians" are mentioned as being involved in a scam like that.

Are you sure that this is not a misspelling of "Nigerians" in fact?

I believe "Liberians" should read as "Nigerians", probably a mistake of someone...

Liberia is not the same as Nigeria, surprise, surprise!

Nigerians, if they want to scam someone are often posing as Ghanians. You never know...

Please correct me if I am wrong!

• Like 1

This is the first time "Liberians" are mentioned as being involved in a scam like that.

I believe "Liberians" should read as "Nigerians", probably a mistake of someone...

Nigerians, if they want to scam someone are often posing as Ghanians. You never know...

You are correct. I'm trying to help make things right in Liberia since 1987.

• Like 1

You are correct. I'm trying to help make things right in Liberia since 1987.

Liberians have been active in BKK for a while.