Remembrance Day - an old item to share with readers

cmsally

I thought this might interest some of the members on here and it seemed appropriate timing. This is the front page of The Telegraph, 4 September 1939. Outbreak of the Second World War.

This is the actual newspaper which someone in my family must have put away. Makes it all seem quite real when you handle the actual newspaper and read it!

post-18794-0-01688800-1415787964_thumb.j

Sorry don't know if I can make the image any bigger and successfully upload; if its not large enough I will try again.

• Like 1

Good to be reminded of it Sally! Lest we forget. A major date of change in world history: Britain, Australia, Canada and NZ stood together in solidarity. The French, of course caved in pretty quickly and the Americans finally turned up, when was it? 1942? Better late than never, I suppose!

• Like 1

Watched the BBC British Legion Remembrance programme at the RAH, with tears in my eye but quaked when Jeff Beck and Joss Stone massacred the beautiful Eric Bogle song "Willie

McBride" or "No Mans land" how could they destroy such a poingant song. Unbelievably it's the official Poppy Appeal song.

Looks like I'm not the only one who disapproves:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/joss-stone-criticised-over-sentimentalising-famed-antiwar-song-for-poppy-appeal-9847312.html

• Like 1

Well, a lot men and women under 30 are now making their own sacrifices on the battlefield whose condition is worse than I remember it to have been in Vietnam. I salute them! Our future is in their hands. Our rendezvous with destiny is past.

No sorry I wasn't.

Did you get put in the brig?

I might have tried you if that was the case.220px-The_Royal_Navy_during_the_Second_Ww00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Wow didn't realise you were that old,did you serve with Nelson.It was DQ's in my day.Fortunately I never got sussed,would have hated to have you as a DO,LOL.You sound like a Ganges boy.

• Like 1

About the war supposed to end all wars from 11/11/2011:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe: