Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Non-Imm 90 day visa or....? Please help.

Dear forum members,

I am married to a Thai citizen and we have a common child, who is also a Thai citizen. Due to the nature of my work I have visited Thailand on visa exemptions on a regular basis, but I am now planning to stay for longer periods, without embarking on a career as a visa runner.

I am a bit confused about the visa rules. My understanding is that I have to apply for a 90 day visa first, which later can be extended for up to a year. As for the 90 day visa, I have not been able to find out what the exact requirements are. Do I need submit copies of my marriage certificate, my child's birth certificate, proof of financial standing? Someone mentioned that I need to have a sponsor in Thailand? Is that correct and if so, can my wife act as one?

Thanks!

You can get a single entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage to Thai at most embassies or consulate.

Their requirements will vary. Normal is your marriage certificate (plus a copy), copy of wife's house book and ID card. For some just a copy of her passport will be needed. No financial proof will be needed.

There is no need for a sponsor.

A multiple entry non-o visa that would give you unlimited 90 entries for a year might be best if you are still going to be traveling frequently. You can get one at Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof needed.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.