Applicant denied job due to 'Irish alcoholism nature'

webfact

Applicant Denied Job Due to "Irish Alcoholism Nature"
V Saxena

SEOUL: -- We have witnessed it many times throughout the years: a job applicant gets denied because of ethnicity, because of gender, because of sexual preference, because of religion, etc. Well, it appears a new contender has joined the list of discriminatory items.

Enter Katie Mulrenna, 26, a resident of the Republican of Ireland who just got denied a teaching position in South Korea. Why did she get turned out? Because, apparently, her Irish ancestry makes her very likely to be an alcoholic.

Seriously…

The email she received from the Seoul-based agency specifically reads, “I am sorry to inform you that my client does not hire Irish people due to the alcoholism nature of your kind”:

a.jpg

According to the International Business Times, Katie had applied for the job via Craigslist. Furthermore, she has “three years of experience teaching English in Oxford, Barcelona and Abu Dhabi, as well as in Korea.”

She was pretty shocked at how quickly the agency replied. She was even more shocked at how the reply was worded:

Full story: http://www.weirdasianews.com/2014/11/12/teacher-applicant-rejected-due-irish-alcoholism-nature/

-- WeirdAsia News 2014-11-13

• Like 1

Sometimes the truth is offensive; however, it is still the truth.

No different than if it read:

"I am sorry to inform you that my client does not hire Korean people due to the lack of sense of humor of their kind."

Again, offensive but as much on the mark as the OP generalization.

Best suggestion would be for people to quit being so sensitive.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

Oh Clarkey, you really are one of the shock troops of the news forum!

That said, one of my best friends in the City is Irish and when I pop into town for a meeting we do tend to end up getting the taste. A lunchtime meeting turns into an afternoon session and then a post midnight stagger around the London Underground trying to find south Essex.

Tis da' craick!

• Like 1

Oh Clarkey, you really are one of the shock troops of the news forum!

That said, one of my best friends in the City is Irish and when I pop into town for a meeting we do tend to end up getting the taste. A lunchtime meeting turns into an afternoon session and then a post midnight stagger around the London Underground trying to find south Essex.

Tis da' craick!

MJP,

I suppose it was a poor attempt at pointing out we all have our short-comings, every country the world over.

But I also realize the PC lynchmob crowd will arrive here shortly and insist the writer of that letter be fired and never allowed to work in HR again and be banned from even using a computer for three generations.

From the limited experience I have working with Irish, I would agree they have alcohol issues and it affected their performance for the first couple hours of morning. But I will also say I would sooner hire them than most anyone because they had an intelligent wit and a good nature that added much benefit to the workplace.

The only group I don't want anywhere near my worksite is the "uptight" PC crowd ;-)

You forgot to add the Thai mother in law.

hahaha, what a load of tripe...The english drink just a much as the Irish, have the same pub culture as well. Where are you most likely to see an english guys after work , even here in Thailand? In the Pub. Yeah, we like to drink...but pot and kettle, as to the Koreans, they drink more than the Irsh and strong liquor too, Anyone disagree with me, I will be in the pub tonight, havin the craic, come and discuss and enjoy the banter....slainte

• Like 2

hahaha, what a load of tripe...The english drink just a much as the Irish, have the same pub culture as well. Where are you most likely to see an english guys after work , even here in Thailand? In the Pub. Yeah, we like to drink...but pot and kettle, as to the Koreans, they drink more than the Irsh and strong liquor too, Anyone disagree with me, I will be in the pub tonight, havin the craic, come and discuss and enjoy the banter....slainte

Of course. It's all a load of old pony.

"I am sorry to inform you that my client does not hire Korean people due to the lack of sense of humor of their kind."

Are you for real?

I guess its the same as me commenting that..

"this poster is clearly of limited intelligence and has a complete lack of understanding of the damage such generalising can do, despite years of well published human history. Probably believes racism is a Formula 1 hobby and that Bigotry means the largest Oak in the forest, however he will likely be oblivious to such comments as he conditioned himself to be insensitive to such remarks."

Are you for real?

I guess its the same as me commenting that..

"this poster is clearly of limited intelligence and has a complete lack of understanding of the damage such generalising can do, despite years of well published human history. Probably believes racism is a Formula 1 hobby and that Bigotry means the largest Oak in the forest, however he will likely be oblivious to such comments as he conditioned himself to be insensitive to such remarks."

Ah...so you are the first of the lynchmob to arrive...did you bring the rope?

And no, what you have commented would actually not be the same thing at all. You see, up til now it has been a generalization about an entire group of people based on some shared culture or ancestral trait. What you have stated is simply a very obvious criticism and attempt at personal attack against an individual who has offended you for some reason (since the lack of wit in your post indicates you are not Irish).

FWIW, said individual could care a less about what you over-sensitive self-righteous types opinions are.

Why is it most of you happen to be American?

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

That soju doesn't hit you til you try standing up ;-)

Its important to have a belly full of Bar-B-Q to absorb some of the alcohol.

Do you really think the Koreans drink more? Trying to think back--they definitely drink more of the hard stuff.

Cheers

I actually think this job application reply would be against some of the new laws the Koreans enacted a few years ago so that they could sign the EU Korean Free Trade Agreement.

But my paddy ancestors insist I am to lazy to look them up again, Slainte Mhath na Khrap.

Here's a link to the alcohol consumption by country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

Ireland # 5,

The second chart is even more fascinating as it includes Russia and some additional countries.

Ofcourse, I am correct to assume everyone here is aware of the extreme xenophobia that exists in South Korea? Thats why I find this OP humorous--its exactly what I would expect from South Korea.

Cheers

I suppose ignorance is ignorance but it’s always extra ironic when it comes from a Brit talking about Irish drinking habits. I lived a year in London (Fulham Broadway) and a year in Birmingham. When the pubs closed, there would be semi continuous whale of sirens (police and ambulance), that reminded me more of Beirut than any city or town in Ireland.

The first time (I was 27), that someone suggested having a beer at lunchtime was a city colleague (Brit) when I worked in London. I naturally declined.

I have lived in South Africa, UK, Germany and Australia and each of these countries easily out drink Ireland on a regular basis.

Those whom can argue on fact, reason and logic, do so, others evoke an empty ‘pc brigade’ debate.

• Like 1

HaHaHah, this is priceless!

What else do I know about Irish?

they drink

they like to fight

they love potatoes

they are far too religious

they dance on tiptoes (girls only)

they are eloquent

they love to and can sing

too many are blond and freckled or red-haired

???

Sorry, not employable in Korea!

And we thought that only Thais stereotype farangs! It is all over Asia! Just look how Asians are stereotyped in the West.

P.S. Almost forgot, - how do they employ Russians?

Edited by ABCer

Look that goes on every where but at least it is up front and not dancing around about it. They say No age discrimination in US But when I went to several different job interviews was always told the same thing position filed but on a whim had friend who is younger than me go in and got the job 4 hours after I was told position filed Sued the hell out of them and won.cheesy.gif Easiest 100K I ever made.

Sampling of OECD countries by the annual consumption of pure alcohol in liters, per person, aged 15 years old and over, as published in the 2013 OECD Health Data:

#1 France #5 Ireland #15 Australia #21 South Korea #22 USA #27 Japan #34 Turkey

By Total Consumption (some tied with same rank) 2010:

#1 Belarus #4 Russia #13 South Korea #14 Australia #15 Ireland #36 USA #50 Japan #51 Thailand #93 Turkey

Thank you Wikipedia.

post-171049-0-73854500-1415870541_thumb.

• Like 1