think twice before getting a husky.

meatboy

Only a braindead idiot get's the cold-weather breeds like St Bernards (yes one idiot farang in KT bought one these, poor thing was almost always a lethargic mess), husky's without massive considerations beforehand.

yes mb.both or one of us are with ours all day,although they are supposed to be outside dogs in thailand that is far far away from the truth.ours has the full run of the house so he can go wherever he likes.if he wants the air con or the fan he gets it,nothing is too much trouble for us to make his life more bearable.his walks are 5.30am -6.30am. evening after the sun goes down and always we have a small bottle of water if he needs a drink.as you say who the hell breeds these type of double coated dogs and like st.bs.dogs in excess of 50kilo's but T.I.T.

the story of mario,who would believe that was the same dog.i forgot to mention the people who gave money for him to recover and live a better life I SALUTE YOU.

One of our neighbours has a husky but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be very well looked after.

In fact, it's just had four puppies as the owners let the husky run around the street which at some point obviosuly meant she'd come into contact with some male soi dogs.

Anyway, this husky's fur is all manky and it certainly doesn't look anything like the avatar in the OP. Most notably though is its behaviour, which is very odd.

One minute it seems very lethargic, almost like it's sedated, then the next time you see it, it's very agressive and unpredictable.

I walk my dog on a lead and twice now this husky has gone for my dog, but then like I say, at other times it has been very friendly.

I guess its behvaviour is probably the result of its owners and the environment it now finds itself in.

Life for a husky in Thailand is the equivilant of one us staying in Europe during the winter only wearing a pair shorts!

Wouldn't be much fun, would it?

• Like 1

Having a Husky here is about as sensible as keeping a draught horse in your back yard.

If you must have a pet and are prepared to put the time, effort and love into owning one, get a climate suited animal - a dog with a fairly short coat or strip the coat off in warmer months. But remember dogs can suffer from sunburn and get skin cancer.

Always have water available for your dog.

• Like 2

Only a braindead idiot get's the cold-weather breeds like St Bernards (yes one idiot farang in KT bought one these, poor thing was almost always a lethargic mess), husky's without massive considerations beforehand.

I love St Bernards but also they are " extremely high maintenance " !

I have seen these dogs " wolf down a tin of PAL Chum in seconds " and that is not a meal. For them its just a " Scooby Snack " Viewers!

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

I have seen these dogs " wolf down a tin of PAL Chum in seconds " and that is not a meal. For them its just a " Scooby Snack " Viewers!

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

Ducks come from cold countries, and they do very well here.

Unlike chickens that always look rather sad.

hey AOA,

so now youve got a duck your the duck expert in the farming section,,lol,,

my chickens arnt sad by the way, there happy little chicks,,

take care jake

• Like 1

Ducks come from cold countries, and they do very well here.

Unlike chickens that always look rather sad.

hey AOA,

so now youve got a duck your the duck expert in the farming section,,lol,,

my chickens arnt sad by the way, there happy little chicks,,

take care jake

All the chickens I see around are scrawny with bald patches, a bit like the mangy soi dogs.

My ducks are beautiful big birds with shiny glossy feathers.

Used to keep chickens in the USA, they were big, shiny and beautiful, nothing like Thai chickens.

• Like 1

Farang Jaidee w00t.gif

I know... We've got two male Mastiffs (70+ kg). Gave them a 250gr lump of beef each once as a treat. One gently carried it to a distance to eat and enjoy it, but our goofy one took one hard bite and swallowed it whole with an expression of 'more?' on his face... blink.png

Edited by MrY
  • Like 2

Friend got rooked into taking two, couldn't return them. He loves dogs, but.... Tore his house and garden to pieces: downspouts, rubber tubs, motorcycle parts... you name it. Forget taking them for a walk. Better to hitch them to a car and have them pull that for several hours. That is what they are bred for: intensive work. If you don't give it to them, they will find a way to burn off that energy in ways you may not like. Luckily he found someone with large acreage to run about on and all that. They were cute, smart and all but Thailand is not the place to have these sorts of dogs imho.

• Like 1

Husky in tropical area ???

Congratulation for all those who do this.

My Husky at Patagonia sometimes stays all day under snow and feels himself so well.

Poor Husky dogs who get idiot owners.

For sure if you brought your Husky from Patagonia with a full winter coat he would not cope well with the heat. But in a month or so he would have shed his coat and be able to cope. It would of course be easier if he was born in the tropics, but he'd be fine in any case.

Out of curiosity I checked several Husky websites about the owners opinion on this, and none of the people that had Huskies in hot climates considered it a problem. Note that there were several owners that had moved from cold to hot. Myself owning two large dogs with a double coat in the tropics also do not see where the problem is. Common sense is all you need. The Huskies I've seen with responsible owners in Thailand seem to be doing very well. They are quite active, they are not suffering (a dog panting with his tongue out is not in pain) and do not seem very prone to any tropical ailments (as long as some idiot does not shave them).

Weaning my dogs off the air-con, I used to give them ice cubes to cool down (and please don't anyone tell me how 'dangerous' this is, it's been thoroughly refuted) and they love it [as dogs cool down with their tongues]. I do occasionally also give them a bowl of ice water. Note that most dogs will drink all the ice water you give them, and therein lies the danger! I give my two monsters one large cup to share, then fill up the bowl without ice.

Edited by MrY

we can settle the husky and alaskan malamute issue now: they do perfectly fine in all weather if acclimated and it is entirely possible to shave down the fur either completely or partially so that they can feel cooler. they do NOT have squished noses and therefore do not suffer like pugs mastiffs squishy faced boxers boston terriers and other dogs that have a huge time trying to cool themselves down by panting with a pushed in face.

dogs that acclimate and dont have a/c on full time learn to do less in the heat and more when cool, eat less, drink more, find cool areas to lay in and dont ahve a full winter coat.

unfortunately, here in israerl that means that a majority of dogs get shaved, not just because of the shedding issues but bec ause of heat issues (yes, poeple put sunscreen on them the first few days if they've been totally shaved with a number 10 blade. some of us just scissor back or partially reduce the fur...

i just met up with a malamute breeder and she says they never have problems with the heat, even when in show fur, but they dont run around with them in the height of the heat. and she lives in a notoriously humid area. she proveds a swimming pool for fun and all her dogs do well. they were all born here and not imports. they also keep the stomach and feet shaved to help cool off (those that arent shown.) my finnish boxer with the squished nose did suffer from the heat in spite of his thin fur; he spent a lot of time panting and snoring. his female israeli born longer nosed mate had no problem whatsoever with heat, but suffered more from the cold.

very large dogs in general are more prone to sun stroke regardless since they have a lot of body surface and fat and fur and often have pushed in faces.

rhodesians/ridgebacks have more lean builds and less 'back' to be exposed to the sun (like a camel) and suffer less. salukis etc have no body fat whatsover, and white stomachs for reflecting heat back off them, height off the ground (less heat) and long noses.

huskies have upright ears allowing them to reduce heat, if they have less hair around their ears.

sufferring from heat or cold is also very individual. two out of my three dogs love rain and cold. one furry little bitch stays glued to the radiator in winter and wont even pee outdoors (we have minimal heating in our houses). even my lhasapoo, now in a summer poodle cut, has no problems in the autumn weather we are getting.

clipping, shedding, proper food, water, cool areas (not a/c) are waht help a dog stay acclimated.

its all in the grooming/feeding/care/place of birth/facial /chest features.

• Like 1

Life for a husky in Thailand is the equivilant of one us staying in Europe during the winter only wearing a pair shorts!

Wouldn't be much fun, would it?

I think living in Thailand and having to wear a full length fur coat 24/7 is a a better analogy.

Think about having a dog as much as you would regarding having a child.

I would say never have a cold climate animal, I watched a lovely natured bulldog decline with skin and breathing issues, he suffered, the owners struggled and it was an expensive time for them.

• Like 2

Unfortunately Siberian Huskies are becoming fashionable with both Thais and farangs. I have never understood wy people in Thailand would want a large hairy dog - I have even seen St Bernards in Chatuchak. IMO whippets are the most suitable breed for this climate - but then I'm prejudiced.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Siberian Huskies are becoming fashionable with both Thais and farangs. I have never understood wy people in Thailand would want a large hairy dog - I have even seen St Bernards in Chatuchak. IMO whippets are the most suitable breed for this climate - but then I'm prejudiced.

Same here,. I love dogs, and if I was in a position to own one my choice would be a Soi dog puppy. Strong,natural immunity to a lot of infections and loyal.

Huskys are beautiful animals, but as another poster has said are high maintenance.

What gets my goat is people with Pugs. They struggle to breath, and just don't seem happy in this climate.

PS. Whippets rock.

• Like 1

Same here,. I love dogs, and if I was in a position to own one my choice would be a Soi dog puppy. Strong,natural immunity to a lot of infections and loyal.

Huskys are beautiful animals, but as another poster has said are high maintenance.

What gets my goat is people with Pugs. They struggle to breath, and just don't seem happy in this climate.

PS. Whippets rock.

Most of us came here to avoid ugly dogs.

• Like 1

There are a lot of huskyes and golden retirevers in our area in Chiang Rai. In very good shape and all very friendly. Animals, like people adapt to the environment when born into it. Any dog exposed to strong sun heat will soffers, and always will look for a shade area or cool floors to laid down. Most long hair dogs will need a more often baths and brush and to be away from humid areas. Checking daily for garden bugs is mandatory to avoid allergies and skin infections. The Internet is a very good source to find details about maintenance and behavior of all the dog's breeds. It is one for evey owner, but most dogs needs daily exercise, walking and running. If you do not like to walk every day, or not have a big garden, big dogs are not your match. To keep any kind of animal on the leach or caged all the time is abuse, and also changes the animal behavior, and will be more agressive when lose. At the city animal control, any fixing and vaccination is a lot less expensive than in vet shops. If you are not a breeder, remember that neutered dogs are a lot more friendly, easy to care, and to accept trainning better.

For an active and outdorsy guy like myself, with many dogs in my lifetime, the best breed I ever had was a Springler Spaniel. Unfortunately not easy to find in Thailand, but the Australian Sheperd and any Labrador is also a good match. Anyway, some soi dogs and rescue dogs here are better match for Thailand's climate that any other, and some are very beautiful and unique.Very well adapted to the environment and very smart too. Most soi dogs in Thailand are mix of Australian breeds, and the most popular "soi dog" is the Australian Kelpie....pictured here.

post-183983-0-67633600-1415929457_thumb.

Edited by umbanda

There are a lot of huskyes and golden retirevers in our area in Chiang Rai. In very good shape and all very friendly. Animals, like people adapt to the environment when born into it. Any dog exposed to strong sun heat will soffers, and always will look for a shade area or cool floors to laid down. Most long hair dogs will need a more often baths and brush and to be away from humid areas. Checking daily for garden bugs is mandatory to avoid allergies and skin infections. The Internet is a very good source to find details about maintenance and behavior of all the dog's breeds. It is one for evey owner, but most dogs needs daily exercise, walking and running. If you do not like to walk every day, or not have a big garden, big dogs are not your match. To keep any kind of animal on the leach or caged all the time is abuse, and also changes the animal behavior, and will be more agressive when lose. At the city animal control, any fixing and vaccination is a lot less expensive than in vet shops. If you are not a breeder, remember that neutered dogs are a lot more friendly, easy to care, and to accept trainning better.

For an active and outdorsy guy like myself, with many dogs in my lifetime, the best breed I ever had was a Springler Spaniel. Unfortunately not easy to find in Thailand, but the Australian Sheperd and any Labrador is also a good match. Anyway, some soi dogs and rescue dogs here are better match for Thailand's climate that any other, and some are very beautiful and unique.Very well adapted to the environment and very smart too. Most soi dogs in Thailand are mix of Australian breeds, and the most popular "soi dog" is the Australian Kelpie....pictured here.

Chiang Rai and CM are certainly not Bangkok, Isaan or southern Thailand ;)

• Like 1

The type of dog that seems to have the most heat related problems, are the snub nosed breeds like bulldogs, pugs and shi tzu's. When I came from the US to Thailand I had a tough time finding a airline that was willing to fly my shi tzu. All airlines that I am aware of will either have a hot weather embargo, or flat out refuse to accept snubbed nosed breeds!