Parents due to fly to BKK April 17th then on to Pattaya - traffic chaos?

mattk1

Hi guys,

As in the title really, my parents are due in to Bangkok on the morning of the 17th April next year on my advice that it would be a good date as Songkran will have been already, however I've just been told that the Songkran celebrations kick off a day or so later than the 15th down in Pattaya - doh! sad.png

I don't live anywhere near Pattaya so I wasn't aware of this and now I'm concerned that it's going to be a nightmare with traffic.

The plan goes like this:

Me and my wife (and kids) will drive from our home in Khon Kaen to Bangkok airport and pick my parents up, and then we will drive on to Pattaya - all on the 17th April 2015.

Can any of you Pattaya gents or ladies tell me if we are in for a lot of traffic and just general miserableness on this day as a result of the slightly later new year festivities?

Thanks guys, much appreciated thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciated the advice given thumbsup.gif

Our destination in Pattaya is a resort near Jomtien beach, not on the beach road but back a little (the name escapes me right now).

Everything is booked and paid for (flights, rooms etc) so changing anything will be a pain. Wish I'd asked on here first facepalm.gif

Thanks again,

Matt

The only real answer to Songkran in Pattaya is either not leave your building between the 17th and the 20th, or to leave town by the 17th and not come back until the 20th.

As Songkran falls later in Pattaya it does mean there are a lot of other places in Thailand that you can escape to.

• Like 2

Unless you absolutely LOVE Songkran, Pattaya is one place I would avoid like the plague. In Bangkok, Songkran runs 3 days, but in Pattaya it runs a full week. Personally, I absolutely refuse to go anywhere near Pattaya when Songkran is in full swing. And yes, traffic will be a nightmare.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

We had a great time last year. Even made the cover of a local magazine. First time I've ever done this. And had a great time. But we were done before dark...and before the real craziness starts. Took us almost 2 hours to get home from near Dolphin Circle down to the Ambassador! Horrible traffic and absolute insane drivers.

post-5869-0-10398500-1416105393_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Again thanks for all the helpful replies on here, I really appreciate it! biggrin.png

I'd better warn my parents about taking any expensive cameras or telephones out with them just in case they get a bucket load of ice cold water in their direction thumbsup.gif

Cheers again guys,

Matt

Again thanks for all the helpful replies on here, I really appreciate it! biggrin.png

I'd better warn my parents about taking any expensive cameras or telephones out with them just in case they get a bucket load of ice cold water in their direction thumbsup.gif

Cheers again guys,

Matt

They sell waterproof neck pouches here quite cheap. I didn't trust them with my new phone, so used the one I bought back home I've used for rafting trips,etc. Worked out great...got absolutely soaked and the phone was fine.

• Like 1