How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

Guess you will get used to it......... but this is November and the cold season.. myself been sat in the garden in the sun trying to get warm.. never use air con, never found Thailand that hot..

I am older than you and at 110 KG guess a bit over weight......... my biggest mistake coming here was not bringing the electric blanket, last night woke up cold and had to switch the fan off, was only on setting 1.. but still cold..

Not sure if this air con thing is a good idea ? have it in the Master bedroom [never used in 11 years] have it in the main room downstairs only ever use if Thais come to visit.

Maybe there is something wrong with me ? as always cold

So it isn't just me then! I am freezing here in the night and showering early morning (North Thailand) The heat is no problem after about 2 weeks, body adapts, salt / sweat etc. takes a couple of weeks to adjust. What I find uncomfortable is the cold at night up here compared to the heat in the day, it is quite a range of change. You do get used to it, my family visited in the cool season (UK family) they were sweating like pigs and I was frozen up Intahnon.

Looking forward to freezing. My girl friend is from Khon Kaen. We'll be heading up there soon. Although I hear it's hot as hell.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How to deal with the heat??? Easy; leave the A/C off, it's hot but bearable and comfy if you avoid any

strenous exercize.
Shorts and tee shirt, shower 2 or 3 times daily. My wife calls it 'Bird bath' just water, no soap.

We just use floor fans for air circulation.

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

Farang Jaidee ( one of the suntan crew ...)

This HAS to be a joke, how can anyone 'enjoy' being in an oven ? Ridiculous post ! I recommend staying in during the day and avoid being subjected to direct (or indirect) sun. Better to stay as white as you can, it looks so, so much better.

Anyone else overwhelmed by the climate?

Like a few of the other posters mentioned ... you get used to it.

I split my time between Thailand and the West.

Takes me a week or two to acclimatise to it.

We live in a 'Thai house' ... no-air con.

I've even got used to the fan blowing all night ... that was harder for me.

You will NEVER get used to it. I am at home right now. 12 noon and it's 11c outside 17c inside, lovely !

Has no one mentioned a/c? If you have to have the outdoors, you're going to have to deal with the heat. Therefore, it would seem prudent to locate in the mountains or by the shore. My main outdoor activity is motorcycle riding, so I am rather cool while in motion. Traffic jams and sitting in the sun at lights are the major heat drag. However, I learned early--a/c bedroom and a/c rec room are a must--you can relax at home and take care of business and communication in cool comfort. When riding, I seek out a/c, shaded area, or otherwise cool bars, restaurants, and hotels all around. Of course, in between I sweat and deal with it--frequent showers help and I've been known to simply soak myself with a hose and get back on the bike to dry in the wind. Still preferable to freezing cold.

I've lived in some hot parts of the world but Australia takes the cake for stinking 'hot' weather. Thailand is humid, Australia is hot.

Darwin has both humidity and heat..... Bit like Singapore and Kanchanaburi.

40 odd degrees where I sit today, stifling, not a puff of wind....it must be because the devil himself is in town.

Years ago I travelled in the great sandy desert in Oz and the Pilbara region of WA., it was the summer. The aircon had packed it in so we took the doors off the ute and threw em in the back......I was tempted to kick the windscreen out too, but it was a loaner, so it was doors off only. In the old days I use to have an old cruiser and there was a little kick pad down the bottom that you could open with your feet to allow wind to blow in a cool your nuts off. My trusty gauge told me it was 50 deg celcius that day in the shade, although the weather jerks said it was only 48.3. It was so hot, my mouth was as dry as a nuns nasty. Nearly every year European type people die in the Australian outback after their cars break down or become stuck....hot, remote and dry. The Aborigines know how to survive out there.

Some years ago I broke down on the road from Dubai to Fujairah, it was in summer and hotter than Saint lucifers den, I remember scratching around on the side of the road hoping that the next car that came along was a 'friendly' and just 20 minutes out there would be enuf to dry you right out.

Thailand is a push over, it's about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Drink plenty of water, take plenty of showers, wear cool cotton clothing and most of all, man up a bit, cripes lad the war didn't stop just because the troops were a bit warm.

Ridiculous, just because it is even hotter somewhere else doesn't mean that Thailand isn't just TOO hot.

Its awful, humid and hot. Chiang Mai and northern Isaan does get a break in December, January and February.

The rest of Thailand has three seasons, HOT, HOT AND WET and STEAMING HOT

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

This HAS to be a joke, how can anyone 'enjoy' being in an oven ? Ridiculous post ! I recommend staying in during the day and avoid being subjected to direct (or indirect) sun. Better to stay as white as you can, it looks so, so much better.

are you going to be visiting a lot of temples? don't forget the party hat

for the other times maybe an air conditioned bar would work

I've lived in some hot parts of the world but Australia takes the cake for stinking 'hot' weather. Thailand is humid, Australia is hot.

Darwin has both humidity and heat..... Bit like Singapore and Kanchanaburi.

40 odd degrees where I sit today, stifling, not a puff of wind....it must be because the devil himself is in town.

Years ago I travelled in the great sandy desert in Oz and the Pilbara region of WA., it was the summer. The aircon had packed it in so we took the doors off the ute and threw em in the back......I was tempted to kick the windscreen out too, but it was a loaner, so it was doors off only. In the old days I use to have an old cruiser and there was a little kick pad down the bottom that you could open with your feet to allow wind to blow in a cool your nuts off. My trusty gauge told me it was 50 deg celcius that day in the shade, although the weather jerks said it was only 48.3. It was so hot, my mouth was as dry as a nuns nasty. Nearly every year European type people die in the Australian outback after their cars break down or become stuck....hot, remote and dry. The Aborigines know how to survive out there.

Some years ago I broke down on the road from Dubai to Fujairah, it was in summer and hotter than Saint lucifers den, I remember scratching around on the side of the road hoping that the next car that came along was a 'friendly' and just 20 minutes out there would be enuf to dry you right out.

Thailand is a push over, it's about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Drink plenty of water, take plenty of showers, wear cool cotton clothing and most of all, man up a bit, cripes lad the war didn't stop just because the troops were a bit warm.

Ridiculous, just because it is even hotter somewhere else doesn't mean that Thailand isn't just TOO hot.

Its awful, humid and hot. Chiang Mai and northern Isaan does get a break in December, January and February.

The rest of Thailand has three seasons, HOT, HOT AND WET and STEAMING HOT

Nothing ridiculous about it at all.

It's all relative, in particular to what you are use to.

Time to man up ladies. ;)

I believe its where we come from + age. I been here near to twenty years and think its get hotter by the year. I also can se the change on my own habits. I always have a good excuse nowadays to leave for Europe for a couple months when getting near to March month. When younger it was difficult for my relatives to get to see me back home before end June. No I don't lock me up inside. Actually more outside and in activity than my Thai wife and many of our Thai /Foreign friends. However when coming from a part of the world where tropical is similar to +20 C and the water in the sea is regarded as very warm hitting +18C then the answer to "dealing with the heat" probably is in there one place.

Edited by Felt 35

HI,

I love much about Thailand, but I hate the heat and humidity. I moved to Bangkok and had a hard time; then I visited Chiang Mai. It's much better for me here. The difference is that it gets cooler at night, even in the hot season (check out the climate data on Wikipedia) Hotter in the daytime but cooler at night. Also, breeze comes down out of the mountains. There is a time of smoky air, but the cool season is really cool. I had to use aircon every night in Bangkok - never in Chiang Mai.

I do these things:

- wear light, all cotton clothes

- sandals, no socks

- carry an umbrella for the sun (don't like hats, they are hot!)

- go out early and late, avoid the extreme radiation of midday

- follow ayurvedic cooling recommendations (avoid pitta aggravation)

-- avoid alcohol in hot times (it's heating, really. For me, even cold beer)

-- avoid deep fried food (stir fried is fine). Though I love the taste, I really feel hotter afterwards, esp. at night.

-- take turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, cucumber, fruits that are not sour. These are all cooling to the body.

-- check out full lists of "pitta aggravation" online for what to avoid and what to emphasize.

-- cool the body with water: shower or pool.

Good luck - I feel for ya!

I can only strongly suggest that you start walking.

Start off very early in the morning and preferably with a ' partner'. First day/week do 500m or more and keep upping it little by little and later in the day.

It worked for me .

Don't make yourself I'll, drink lots of water and try to limit 'farang' style food intake ( potatoes, too much red meat ).

Give it 3/4 months and you'll be surprised how much improved you'll be.

Finally watch how the Thai's go about... They are never in a hurry unlike the average westerner.

I have a house In Ubon with the jungle on two sides of it with shade in the morning until noon on the east and north sides and I rarely need to turn on an air conditioner, it's really cool inside. Much cooler than a similarly constructed house I rented with less trees and shade and close in the city. "Shade trees" is the short answer.

Crocs management and cleaning rota. VERY IMPORTANT.

After just a few days the toe jam accumulates and needs to be neutralized. The smell is overwhelming within three miles downwind.

So, I developed this unhealthy method using acidic toilet cleaner. You know that pink Makro stuff that burns your face off when it splashes during a pan scrub.

Anyways . . . some kind of dangerous exothermic reaction with the toe jam occurs and and bathroom fills will noxious gas. But the Crocs come out like new.

Very effective.

No socks.

Pardon me, but what has this got to do with the weather? "Crocs" "Toe jam" Do you put the jam on your toes to attract the crocs, or repel them as the smell seems to be "overwhelming within three miles"?

Why choose Thailand as a place to live if you are going to sit indoors all day? You might as well move to the UK! The climate might be more suitable? I am out and about every day from 06.30 I would feel quite depressed and probably end up on a " Prozac " after 2 hours of being in indoors and missing all those lovely free outdoor activities.

working in the south of Thailand....some days drink water and sweat it out. soaked in a few minutes. Wearing fireproof coveralls, steel toe red wings, gloves and a hard hat. When back in Bangkok I don't sweat too much anymore.

Id rather the heat than the cold

I can only strongly suggest that you start walking.

Start off very early in the morning and preferably with a ' partner'. First day/week do 500m or more and keep upping it little by little and later in the day.

It worked for me .

Don't make yourself I'll, drink lots of water and try to limit 'farang' style food intake ( potatoes, too much red meat ).

Give it 3/4 months and you'll be surprised how much improved you'll be.

Finally watch how the Thai's go about... They are never in a hurry unlike the average westerner.

I live in Pattaya and walk at least 15 km most mornings and then on the beach most afternoons with lots of swimming! I think some of our viewers are just " bloody lazy " Get rid of the motorbike! and start walking if you like then buy a bicycle ( motorbikes are for lazy people ) x

Hi,

I'm kindova noob, but we spent Feb-Sept in Phuket this year and are moving there *permanently* in December.

• I met a young Thai guy who had spent 3 years at a university in the US. He said that it took him two years to acclimatise to Phuket again, so maybe you're not so unusual.
  • Controversial............but crocs suck completely. They're like Wellington boots but with holes. You're from the States, so consider buying Chacos:

http://www.chacos.com/US/en

They're good for anything from tarmac to hopping over boulders. I've had no toe cheese in the 15 years I've worn them. They last for ever (2 pairs in that time) and they are a lot cooler, in all senses.

My 5 Baht!

biggrin.png

When going outside...always wear a hat...sunglasses...and use sunscreen if you are going to be exposed to the sun for any length of time...

When indoors...drink lots of liquids...preferable water...and have one or two fans blowing air your way...use the air conditioner at night to take the edge off the heated bedroom...then use the fan the remainder of the night...

Or, you could retire to Alaska...

Hi. I am 72 and fit, I have been in Thailand for 9 yrs,2 yrs in Pattaya and the next 7 yrs up North in Khon Kaen the heat here is unbearable over the last 2 yrs I have to leave cannot stand it any more. My body cannot adapt to it. I am up at 6am each morning and the heat is so much. I am leaving with my wife to live in Spain

Very common Mate. You body will tell you.

Thanks MJP. I've had the dress code down for years. my concern is I just left 3 months of blistering heat and humidity in West Bengal. I was helping set up a humanitarian medical project/clinic there. I was hoping for a little relief here.

Could always push more water...

I used to crawl out the jungle in Issan and fly to Bermuda to do a ghastly job. You know Issan is is like a polar bears backend compared to that island. I swear, 100 litres of drinking water an hour used to be sweat straight out by 4pm on that place.

Still never lost no weight!

Bermuda not as bad as here Mate I have been there. And all the islands.

Up here the rains have stopped and so very hot, hot hot.

I've spent time in Chiang Mai. The winters were like gorgeous San Diego weather. I hear the summers get quite warm and air quality is bad...

Chiang mai is lovely Nov/Dec/January, then in early February the locals nearby and for literally millions of square miles surrounding and North of CM systematically burn the area to clear it and to stimulate bamboo shoots, mushrooms and the like. So Feb/March (at least) air quality becomes very dangerous. My take from having lived there is to leave for the distant south or someplace where burning does not take place for Feb/March/April. From May to October I don't know since I've not been there those months.

HI,

I love much about Thailand, but I hate the heat and humidity. I moved to Bangkok and had a hard time; then I visited Chiang Mai. It's much better for me here. The difference is that it gets cooler at night, even in the hot season (check out the climate data on Wikipedia) Hotter in the daytime but cooler at night. Also, breeze comes down out of the mountains. There is a time of smoky air, but the cool season is really cool. I had to use aircon every night in Bangkok - never in Chiang Mai.

I do these things:

- wear light, all cotton clothes

- sandals, no socks

- carry an umbrella for the sun (don't like hats, they are hot!)

- go out early and late, avoid the extreme radiation of midday

- follow ayurvedic cooling recommendations (avoid pitta aggravation)

-- avoid alcohol in hot times (it's heating, really. For me, even cold beer)

-- avoid deep fried food (stir fried is fine). Though I love the taste, I really feel hotter afterwards, esp. at night.

-- take turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, cucumber, fruits that are not sour. These are all cooling to the body.

-- check out full lists of "pitta aggravation" online for what to avoid and what to emphasize.

-- cool the body with water: shower or pool.

Good luck - I feel for ya!

Wow! I amazed that you would dare step outside your front door with your " huge list of remedies " .........

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely give it some more time. I think a big part of it is my "thermostat" is broken from 30 years in a near perfect year round climate in San Diego.

joeyg ... as a small aside ... I used to live in the States, only 6 months ... got to see a bit of the country though.

San Diego ... a favourite City of mine. World class IMHO based on what is important for me.

Weather being one of them.

If you ever get to France ... try a couple of nights in Aix-en-Provence ... another place I could comfortably call home (if I spoke the lingo .. which I don't)

I worked with a guy from San Diego for several years in Dallas (Southlake actually). His family questioned why they ever left and eventually convinced him to move back. San Diego is not humid, and in my mind, Dallas is not very humid but not as good as San Diego. The problem all over Thailand is humidity although in Isaan it disappears from November through February, and maybe March which is just hot.

I've never stayed long enough to know about April through August, but know from good friends that if you don't like hot, don't come in April and May, and if you hate 100% humidity, stay away in June through September.

The weather in North Carolina 1km from the ocean is humid too, or Florida, or summer along the Gulf coast. ugh

Regular cold showers, cold towels from the freezer and remembering what it was like to live in a hole in the ground, minus 18C when I was a young soldier also helps!

I have a mate who left Asia for New York, he said it was minus 3C yesterday. I would rather be hot than freezing my nuts off.

That said, one man's meat.....

When going outside...always wear a hat...sunglasses...and use sunscreen if you are going to be exposed to the sun for any length of time...

When indoors...drink lots of liquids...preferable water...and have one or two fans blowing air your way...use the air conditioner at night to take the edge off the heated bedroom...then use the fan the remainder of the night...

Or, you could retire to Alaska...

I spent a summer in Southeast Alaska, Skagway, years ago. The high was 22 C or 72 F. Wet suit needed in ocean or streams. cold

I have never acclimatized to this heat and humidity and I don’t think I ever will. Perhaps I have a Neanderthal physiology tuned in only to the far north. And yet I love it here. I’m an impoverished retired teacher and I’ve been living quite contentedly in Nonthaburi in the Central Plains for 9 years with my wife and her family, and yet I still find the heat oppressive almost all year long. I cannot get used to it. We have no air con and only have electric fans on us night and day when inside. Sweat city with no respite. Dukkha. I (the farang) am the only one who seems to think it’s hot.

I have a very good indoor treadmill (an absolute essential for civilized living, as long as it is rigged for reading books, Kindle, or watching movies while working out), and I have a strong fan nearby it. Yet I also still like to go out regularly on extra-long neighborhood marches in the heat. Maybe my brain is irreparably cooked. As the song says: Only “mad dogs and Englishmen” (and this American) “go out in the midday sun.” I notice that the (sane) soi dogs know enough to sleep in the shade as I slog on by.

My Essentials List for the heat:

1. Swim trunks. My daily wear indoors and when out in our courtyard.

2. A bandana sweatband whenever away from an electric fan (otherwise sweat blinds me even with the most minimal effort).

3. Snake Brand Prickly Heat Cooling Powder; a venerable remedy found in the white tin; I apply it to my back many times a day with a dry long-handled scrub brush, and sometimes I must apply it deep into my shorts. Ah, Blessed Coolness; Zen Delight!

4. Sports sandals without socks; I haven’t worn shoes for 8 years.

5. A broad brimmed hat when out in the sun; one that is lightweight and ventilated, fitted over the sweatband. (Yes, Thais may laugh at the mad farang.)

6. Short pants unless it’s an absolutely rare cultural necessity.

7. Light colored and lightweight clothes.

8. Ice. Ice in your water; ice in your tea; ice in your beer; ice in your coffee. (I haven’t put ice in my shorts yet, but I was tempted to last April.)

I grew up in North America at latitude 41 N and had lived most of my life up there except for a particularly bad year with 1st MarDiv in Vietnam in 1969 (which I never did get used to). I acclimatized to the extremely cold winters of the Adirondacks and New England in the 1970s while mountaineering, by doing research on clothing and gear, and by experimenting (often getting frostbitten when too slow of a learner). I finally bivouacked out in minus 40 C cold in the Adirondacks for a week of ice climbing in 1979, and learned to camp and live with relative comfort in the extreme cold from that day on. It was a matter of technique, gear, and attitude.

But few remedies alleviate the horrendous heat here. I haven’t yet found the techniques; the gear is sparse; and I’m still struggling for the attitude. So, because this is my chosen home, I will sweat it out and try to smile. Ain’t easy. Good luck to any of you other misplaced snowmen.

-Northwindhermit.