American questioned over parcels of baby parts, then released

Lite Beer

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As the cultured host of PBS long-running Masterpiece Theater, Alistair Cooke was an emblem of American taste and refinement. Since his death in 2004, Cooke has also become emblematic of a macabre and little-known market: Americas distinctly shady traffic in human remains. Unbeknownst to his family, Cookes bones were cut out before he was cremated and sold for $7,000 to two companies that prepare human tissue for transplant. Cookes fate was ghoulish in the extreme but what is even more disturbing is that it was not at all unusual."

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/the-billion-dollar-body-parts-industry-medical-research-alongside-greed-and-corruption-2/

Thanks for that answer... LB.... So apparently, more than just "baby" parts....

All I can say is... GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I sure hope someone wasn't trying to do the Frankenstein thing all over again in modern times... blink.png

Frankenstein was

FICTIONAL !

Two westerners held for sending mail boxes containing human parts

16-11-2557-16-41-42-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two westerners who tried to send three mail boxes containing human parts of an infant to the United States told police that they bought the human parts from a night market at the Memorial Bridge.

The two men whose identities were not disclosed were invited for interrogation by the police after an official of the DHL mail delivery service told police he received the three mail boxes from them. An X-ray of one of the three boxes however showed half of a skull of a baby so the three mail boxes were withtheld and the police were called in to investigate.

Pol Maj-Gen Chavalait Prasobsilp, commander of the 5th division of Metropolitan Police Bureau, said today that the two foreigners who were interrogated said that they could not remember where they exactly bought the human body parts claiming that it was their first time in Thailand.

He said that it was not known who the receiver of the three mail boxes was and what the human parts were meant for.

However, more people will have to be questioned, he said, adding that a meeting of officers concerned would be held tomorrow to discuss the case.

Meanwhile, the body of a nine-month old infant was found dumped in a garbage bin in Klong Toey market. The infant was believed to have died three days ago.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-westerners-held-sending-mail-boxes-containing-human-parts/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-16

This could be perfectly legal or criminal. There's a large legal market for body parts for medical research in the US. I'm surprised you Euros don't know anything about it, but that's why your countries lag in medicinal innovation. http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/the-billion-dollar-body-parts-industry-medical-research-alongside-greed-and-corruption-2/

Really. We gave up such things when Burke and Hare got caught.

Maybe the US will be the first to crack the problem with obesity thought. They are the world leaders.

• Like 1

Selling CD's found in the trash. Sentence: Almost 2 years in jail.

Trading in human bodyparts: Released!!

This has to be the most screwed country on the Planet!!

We aren't any better in Europe. Tax evasion punishable with up to 10 years jail. Murder and rape only gets to 4-6 months for first time offenders...

Go figure

I'm interested.

Which rape and murder cases were punished with 4 to 6 months in prison. I would like to see that. It is quite a remarkable expose.

In the UK I was under the impression that rape was standard 2 years first offence and murder was 30 years both sentences liable to one third reduction for good behaviour.

I am sure that there are lesser penalties for extenuating circumstances, but on the whole the above is pretty consistent.

Also with the time off, you are out on license meaning that if you so much as return a library book back late you are put back inside to serve the remainder of your term. I know this because my mate got 3 years for robbery and served 2 and has that one year sentence hanging over him like a sword of Damocles for the rest of his life. He often says he would rather have stayed in and finished it while he was already serving time rather than have that threat hanging over him for the rest of his days.

• Like 1

What the hell? First of all, how can you get this? How can you export it? How can the other end import it?

Imagine being in Orlando, Boise, or wherever, and having a package of baby parts arrive by DHL, the driver saying, "Here is that package you've been expecting."

If you say yes as you take possession of the package, the driver shoves, badge, warrant, and 9mm in your face and you are in cuffs before the package hits the floor.

Selling CD's found in the trash. Sentence: Almost 2 years in jail.

Trading in human bodyparts: Released!!

This has to be the most screwed country on the Planet!!

ergo, you would be one of the most screwed of it's dwellers. The most unappreciative of their guests. nothing, nada, nobody?

This could be perfectly legal or criminal. There's a large legal market for body parts for medical research in the US. I'm surprised you Euros don't know anything about it, but that's why your countries lag in medicinal innovation. http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/the-billion-dollar-body-parts-industry-medical-research-alongside-greed-and-corruption-2/

Did you get the statistic that said that Europe was lagging behind the 'States' in Medical Research from FOX News? I thought so......

At this point, the US authorities will have been made aware of the addressee and will be investigating.

If it was being sent to a medical research lab or University facility then there will no doubt be investigations since these facilities have to show documentation of the source. They cannot just buy body parts off anyone on the street.

If it was going to some private individual who has a morbid fascination with dead babies, then that person will no doubt be investigated.

If it was being sent from some idiot backpacker to his frat house as a prank then simply publishing the names of those involved should be sufficient punishment.

Edited by ClutchClark

Say what ? What do you mean body parts ? Were they just bones, or juicy parts ? Jeez if not refrigerated or preserved somehow (in formalin), how would you like sitting along side of him and his roll-on. If these body parts were suspected by the police to be stolen (I guess no accompanying documentation), aren't they obligated to seize them ? The crap that goes on in this country, never ceases to amaze me. Plainly this is just disrespect for these poor children, and as everywhere in Thailand today perps (on both sides of the fence) hide behind the mantle of being a good Buddhist.

There is most definitely US law that speaks to this. The FDA has jurisdiction over things like the importation of skin, cells and other similar materials - but not some whole organs (like eyes, lungs, etc)

Unfortunately the law is complex and more than one agency may have overlapping jurisdiction, but you can bet that it is very regulated.

These body part smugglers need really checking out they must have known it was illegal other wise they would have taken it home as hand luggage .

Really how sick are these people what criminal history do they have , what else do they collect , something stinks here and I am not referring to the baby in bottle.

...and "sheets of skin" -- including one taken from an adult and bearing a large tattoo -- were discovered Saturday after staff at a Bangkok parcel company scanned the package.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-11-16

Reminds me of John Burdett's - Bangkok Tattoo!

Yuk!!!! Shades of Auschwitz table lamps, covered in human skin, with & without tatoos

A quality tourist with a different taste in souvenirs!!w00t.gif

There is a marked for this things. I have seen a dokumentary on this subjekt. It is a nasty thing. U can go to Thailand and buy human parts for donor purposes. I do not know if it is legal.. Many kidnapping are of this reason. People get cut up to get theyr organ. To save a girl in the states or any other country in the world. Anything is availible in Thailand. I am glad the poilce are strikt down there. And that all people know how serious f... you are if the police gets you. Smoke mariuana and get 20 years. But twenty is more like 10. You get pardon one year, every time when King has bursday. But i mean that this man should have been fhurter interrogated. And find out where he got it. Taking thai lifes and bring theyr inside to theyr home town to rescue his wife. What about the family of the poor thai man????? Dont like this. Everyone has heard of organ stealing. And dont you think it is in Thailand??