Help Needed With Installing Linux Small Network

silb

My office has 4 pc's that are currently networked on an office windows LAN. We are trying to change the office over to Linux. I have installed Linux Fedora Core 4 on one PC but it doesnt detect our network. Anyone have any advice/solutions on how to solve this problem or can recommend an alternative version of Linux that may be more suitable for our requirements. Thanks.

My office has 4 pc's that are currently networked on an office windows LAN. We are trying to change the office over to Linux. I have installed Linux Fedora Core 4 on one PC but it doesnt detect our network. Anyone have any advice/solutions on how to solve this problem or can recommend an alternative version of Linux that may be more suitable for our requirements. Thanks.

Presuming your network card is installed correctly and all the hardware/cabling is correct and functioning :

open up a shell and type : ifconfig

you should have an "eth0" network interface

check that the subnet mask and IP are compatable with the subnet of the of the 4 windows machines.

if not, then change your network settings for eth0 on the linux box.

Thank you. I was actually looking for help regarding a specific problem. You know nothing about my reasons for trying linux. If you cant help with the problem them why bother posting?

Just enable the "censor presumptious & unhelpful nonsene" option in your personal profile :o

Thank you. I was actually looking for help regarding a specific problem. You know nothing about my reasons for trying linux. If you cant help with the problem them why bother posting?

Just enable the "censor presumptious & unhelpful nonsene" option in your personal profile :o

If you need help with that problem or anything else send me a PM and we can talk using msn to fix those problems.

gluck !