Photography forum - a new strategy

MJP

Nothing to do with server space. But everything to do with thread space, thread real estate if you like.

It's not a restriction, it's just an idea to improve the board for all.

Observations about thread real estate:

- posting thumbnails versus full-size pictures will save real estate (3-4 thumbnails take the same space as a big image)

- obsolete pix, members posting outside links to their images on for example Flickr and some days later remove them from Flickr, which then leaves only a broken link in the thread, followed by comments about the picture which has disappeared....

just a Bikky for thought...

Nothing to do with server space. But everything to do with thread space, thread real estate if you like.

It's not a restriction, it's just an idea to improve the board for all.

Observations about thread real estate:

- posting thumbnails versus full-size pictures will save real estate (3-4 thumbnails take the same space as a big image)

- obsolete pix, members posting outside links to their images on for example Flickr and some days later remove them from Flickr, which then leaves only a broken link in the thread, followed by comments about the picture which has disappeared....

just a Bikky for thought...

I've begun the process of removing all the blanks and will keep doing so as I work through the threads.

Agree about pic size, again I'm bad for this.

What I'm going to do in the future is post a much smaller embedded image and a link to the full size instead.

If space is not an issue then there is no need to post thumbnails.

Just post up to max size or as you see fit as per Tywais rules, 900 wide or height is plenty but as the rules state 1024 wide is acceptable.

When quoting a photo click the photo in the quote box and tap the delete button, the person quoted will know which post was referred to by clicking the post # in the quote box.

On a last note, seeing as its Christmas already and not even December yet I would like to get in 1st and wish you all a very Merry Christmas. As usual Bob Geldof is letting us know it's Christmas time once again guitar.gif

Carpe Diem as they say....or if you are Thai, Carpe Pla burp.gif

Edited by rhythmworx

Perhaps then its just me that thinks its change for changes sake.coffee1.gif

Nope. Plenty want to see a stop to the flooding of the forum with loads of pics all at once. It's all it's about. Nothing more contentious than that.

It was another poster that brought this up with mods and rightly so. It's worth trying this different method of posting to see if it improves the experience for all.

I think it will.

I can see that, so perhaps a divided Status for Pro, and one for Happy Snappers with a sense of Humor, who like Etans, Mountain Dew Bottles, Michlin Tubbies..., things a tad Lo Key for the Proes..........Long as it stays Happy.thumbsup.gif

It's not about pros or snappers. It's as bad when a pro floods the board all at once as well.

Flooding doesn't work. They may all be great images but when posted in rapid succession each image detracts from the next almost eliminating the WOW factor.

• Like 2

All this is about is resisting the urge to posts loads of stuff at once. That's it really.

I can't disagree with this but can't agree with uncalled for comments to the contrary made by another member in two posts.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

Sip satang here...No seperate thread for "pro's"...please.

Nobody wants to read the "critiques" we will come up with

when discussing each others work or posted pix. This is all

akin to 2 old ladies bickering over the price of a beautiful

apple..or which one gets to have that last sip in the gin bottle.

Even in good cynical humour...it can get nasty.

Because it usually starts out like this...."Well I would have

(name your method or particular way of shooting or processing)

and ends up like this..."Why you sorry &(*%&))^$^*)_#^&*"

or worse!

So please; No Pro Thread(s)!!! Very bad idea...very bad...bad dog,

bad doggy...go lay down.

It looks as though it is time to break a rule I had against using Facebook. It would be nice if Ron, Dancelot, VF,Shaggy and all of those who have real photos PM me a link to their Facebook pages. Less page clicks but why should I care.