Tiger economy loses its roar as Thailand's exports slump

webfact

Tiger Economy Loses Its Roar as Thailand's Exports Slump
By Suttinee Yuvejwattana

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is heading for a second straight year of slumping exports, something the onetime tiger economy hasn’t experienced in at least two decades and a loss that magnifies challenges for the military-run government.

Shipments abroad, which make up the equivalent of about 70 percent of the economy, have shrunk in six out of nine months this year and will probably contract in 2014, according to the central bank. That’s in comparison to an annual average pace of growth of about 13 percent in the period 2002 to 2012.

While Thailand has grappled with political instability and record flooding in recent years, rivals including Vietnam and the Philippines have seen exports climb. Investment proposals for infrastructure have been delayed for months by violent unrest that ended when Prayuth Chan-Ocha, the former military chief, seized power in a May coup.

“It’s possible that exports will lag behind other countries in the region like Vietnam, Malaysia and the Philippines which used to trail us in the past,” said Santitarn Satirathai, a Singapore-based economist at Credit Suisse Group AG. “We have obsolete technology and other structural problems that we must fix. The question is, can Thailand do enough to keep attracting foreign and domestic investment. It is quite worrisome.”

The economy is forecast to grow this year at the slowest pace since 2011, when thousands of factories were inundated by the worst floods in 70 years. Gross domestic product probably grew 1.0 percent in the three months through September from a year earlier, a Bloomberg survey showed ahead of data due today.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-16/tiger-economy-loses-its-roar-as-thailand-s-exports-slump.html

-- Bloomberg 2014-11-17

Funny that I just read an article on the G20 and when one of the leaders (sorry, been up since 5am and have done the shopping since I read the article!!) mentioned ASEAN countries they mentioned Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Funny that I just read an article on the G20 and when one of the leaders (sorry, been up since 5am and have done the shopping since I read the article!!) mentioned ASEAN countries they mentioned Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.

I noticed that also

Thailand should be afraid, very afraid, many of the other ASEAN countries will continue to gain a higher share of FDI and exports in ASEAN region. Thailand has too long assumed they will remain a preferred place to do business such as manufacturing in ASEAN. Business preferences change due to many factors such as political stability, ease of doing business, costs, ownership structuring, etc. And some of the recent FDI foreign ownership proposed changes in requiring more Thai majority controll seem to be a negative towards increasing FDI. Will just have to wait and see where all the new interest in Thainess ends up.

• Like 1

Why is the BAHT so strong..I cant work it out. Can some bright guy tell me WHY

Why are you saying the baht is strong as its been depreciating against some currencies like the USD primarly due to USD strength and not baht weakness. Now if you are talking the baht appearing to be stronger against a currency like the Euro, well, actually the Euro has got weaker due to a slow economy in most of the EU countries. Takes two currency pairs for an exchange rate and the strength or weakness of either one can affect the exchange rate.

• Like 1

Thailand should be very clear on it's foreign investment policies. BOI promotions are in place and working but the 51/49 rule is killing many oportunities. Some people in this forum refer to Myanmar, Vietnam and Indonesia as the economic havens. Myanmar;much too early. Vietnam? Look at the devaluation of the Dong in recent years and combine this with the administrative nightmare to set up a company there. Agreed, India is even worse. Indonesia, maybe. I continue to bet on Thailand but stability is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is this story an opinion? I can't tell because no source given for how they conclude exports are down. However, when I look at the Bank of Thailand's website (Click here), overall export trade volume is generally up. I'm more inclined to believe a story if there is a source to back up the claim.

No story in Thai press is predicated on fact. It's always hearsay, second hand, and someone puffing and blustering out sound bites. Thai journalists never ask questions, never corroborate, never validate, and never investigate. It's the "No-Gate" press if ever there was one.

• Like 1

Well that's all fine and dandy, but I am still waiting for the baht to go down. Not only should it help exports, but on a more personal level it would please me too!

It continues to weaken: 32.849 (Coinmill.com)

That will favor exports but make imports such as energy, consumables, and products more expensive.

post-171049-0-50577200-1416197230_thumb.

Is this story an opinion? I can't tell because no source given for how they conclude exports are down. However, when I look at the Bank of Thailand's website (Click here), overall export trade volume is generally up. I'm more inclined to believe a story if there is a source to back up the claim.

I don't understand what you're saying. According to your link, trade in absolute non-inflation adjusted dollars has been flat since the end of 2011.

Worse, imports almost equal exports barely giving Thailand a positive balance of trade.

I see no growth for almost 3 years. That's the same as going backwards.

• Like 1

The cost of the coup and anti-government protests to the nation will be about 3.5% of GDP growth or equivalent Bt.50-70 billion through 2015, equalling the total wealth of the Crown. Time does not favor a continued military government from an economic viewpoint.

I don't understand what you're saying. According to your link, trade in absolute non-inflation adjusted dollars has been flat since the end of 2011.

Worse, imports almost equal exports barely giving Thailand a positive balance of trade.

I see no growth for almost 3 years. That's the same as going backwards.

Sorry, you're right. I did find a better source which I'll post when I get to my computer.