German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

Who breeds these people/animals? Throw them to the rats forever to show the youth of today this is NOT "This action is a typical case of youthful recklessness"

​If this becomes typical behavior we are shafted.

Even if this man survives and recovers he will never feel the same I'm sure he will be looking over his shoulder in fear for the rest of his life.

There are stories of bodies turning up daily and attacks like this one will destroy Thailand as a tourist destination.

Make an example quickly!

Good post. But please don't insult animals in characterizing these cretins. There's not a single species on this planet (other than some of us, apparently) that kills for sport or entertainment.

• Like 1

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

Police and military are helpless against this kind of violence.

I know it sounds bad....because it is.

Which Udon park was it?

There are three popular parks. Nong Prajak is the biggest, and most popular for morning exercise. There are more gangs here than the other two smaller ones. Many more farangs use Nong Prajak... However, my wife and I used all the parks....although we lived closest to Nong Prajak. These gangs can be anywhere...at any park. It is not a big place.

• Like 1

Well at least the cops aren't blaming the Burmese or Cambodians.

Bang goes another 10k tourist arrivals.

10000 tourist arrivals? Really?? I think our perceptions get very distorted with TV as a news source. I just did a Google news search, and this story is only being picked up in the Thai media so far. Granted, it's still hot off the press. Let's see what happens over the next couple of days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes barely a ripple in the international media. Hard to compete with ISIS, ebola, and the Ukraine.

In all my years in Thailand this has probably been the worst for crimes against foreigners. Young German guy fighting for his life while he was minding his own business.

I fail to share your optimism.

• Like 1

My son arrived yesterday for a two-week stay with his Thai wife's family. He immediately changed into sandals sans socks in the airport parking garage. I told him that I never wear sandals while I'm out and around Bangkok in the (unlikely?) event that I have to chose the "flight" option in any particular situation. Of course, one has to have the presence of mind and sobriety to run like a bat out of hell if necessary.

Good move, sandals and socks is a definite no no.

Who breeds these people/animals? Throw them to the rats forever to show the youth of today this is NOT "This action is a typical case of youthful recklessness"

​If this becomes typical behavior we are shafted.

Even if this man survives and recovers he will never feel the same I'm sure he will be looking over his shoulder in fear for the rest of his life.

There are stories of bodies turning up daily and attacks like this one will destroy Thailand as a tourist destination.

Make an example quickly!

Good post. But please don't insult animals in characterizing these cretins. There's not a single species on this planet (other than some of us, apparently) that kills for sport or entertainment.

Actually, cats kill for sport and fun,, so does dolphins and whales i think.. wolves too ... elephants too maybe.. weasels too...

Oh my lord. What a world

I await the apologists wandering in that this happens everywhere. Yes apparently it is quite common on islands and the mainland in Thailand.

What the hell are these people doing?

Of course, it happens everywhere. It happens in Koh Tao, in Samui, in Phuket, in Pattaya, in Udon Thani, in Chiang Mai; so why do you blame it on Thailand, it happens everywhere.

• Like 1

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

It appears to be a bit more than just a trend. There are deep resentments being expressed by such acts and total disregard for falang life. I am becoming more alarmed daily, not because of the attacks but because this is the place I chose to retire to and the source of my greatest companion in like, my good wife.

I imagine the dynamics are cumulative and multidimensional, but the Thai authorities must make some sort of an example here or the damages will recur in ever increasing horror and outrage. The publicity grows as never before as evidenced by the two citations below.

Careful, falangs . . . careful

Aussie tourists come to grief in Thailand than any other country, with 168 tourists taken to hospital in the Land of Smiles in the past year alone.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/travel/thailand-revealed-as-the-most-dangerous-destination-for-australian-travellers/story-fnjjuxwc-1226769908571?nk=71609635d174ab43c7cd21c2c4a936a8

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/thailand/11228849/Thailand-most-dangerous-tourist-destination-claims-book.html

An insightful post.

My question to you would be if heavy punishments against youthful offenders actually make the Thai populace blame/dislike the farang more? Would more of the population start to think along the lines of us vs them? Them being you & me.

Will farangs be seen more and more as disrupting the Natural Harmony of Thailand?

• Like 1

Indeed. The mind boggles. Was it totally random? Is the victim a decent looking fellow, or a tattooed meat-head. Can't help wondering that there is more to this story, and may well come to light in the near future.

Please don't try and blame the victim. Even if it makes you feel safer that it could never happen to you. These guys were carrying a hoe around. You think they didn't intend to do anything bad and just stumbled across the hoe at the same time as they saw the foreigner in the park? Clearly a case of a premeditated attack.

I really hope the German recovers without permanent disability and the courts lock these guys up for a very long time. I fear the punishment will depend on whether the foreign press get hold of this.

The article clearly stated they were carrying the hoe for protection against rival groups (gangs).

The question asked by Techikall was a reasonable one and gave no indication of blaming the victim.

I am curious if the victim had been drinking with his two friends.

Well at least the cops aren't blaming the Burmese or Cambodians.

Bang goes another 10k tourist arrivals.

10000 tourist arrivals? Really?? I think our perceptions get very distorted with TV as a news source. I just did a Google news search, and this story is only being picked up in the Thai media so far. Granted, it's still hot off the press. Let's see what happens over the next couple of days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes barely a ripple in the international media. Hard to compete with ISIS, ebola, and the Ukraine.

In all my years in Thailand this has probably been the worst for crimes against foreigners. Young German guy fighting for his life while he was minding his own business.

I fail to share your optimism.

It's not optimism, it's realism (though call it cynicism if you like). I recall reading a number of stories in the past about completely innocent people (foreigners and Thais) being set upon (usually drunk/drugged up) Thai men. In the absence of real data over a period of time, I would be very hesitant to say there is a trend. It's human nature to believe things are getting worse and to spot patterns where none really exist....

Poor guy. Copycat killers. Oh my God. So Thai delinquents were so excited by the Koh Tao murders they are now going to go after any hated farang they see with hoes.

It is now time for embassies to start thinking about evacuation plans for their nationals from this country.

German tabloids will have a field day with this disgusting case and the cops probably about to let the murderers of the German guy in Samui go.

Madame billionaire tourism ministress has got her work cut out to arrange a record breaking high season this year. Were these kids training for for the Thai youth ambassadors who are going to guide foreign tourists upcountry. What about the electronic bracelets to tag tourists so they know who they were when they have been murdered.

Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Over-reaction?

You decide;)

My wife already desided to get license and buy weapans,

and she assures me, that I will get trained to use it if needed;

"This action is a typical case of youthful recklessness," Pol.Col. Surin

Did you ever consider it could be an error in translation?

I say give the guy a pat on the back for a job well done.

They have already identified the suspects, arrested the suspects, recovered the weapon and gotten a confession.

Job well done.

• Like 1

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

Seems a lot of ooop north villages have too many sitting around doing nothing, seems many of the men spend all day drinking same with the teenagers..................hang on I thought "No Thai person could do this"

What do you mean up north? There are millions of thai blokes all over the country sitting around basically doing nothing . that goes for the 20 guys in homepro selling u a water heater, or the gang of motorcycle taxi blokes at the end of a bangkok soi.

This blatent attack because this man is a foreigner, is really scary. Broad daylight in a park. Just to kill someone. Maybe drugs, maybe booze, maybe they just don't like farangs , but how dangerous do people have to be to attack people like this.

Very dangerous.

this - those guys - sitting and resting in tesco Lotus in BKK are not Bangkokians-

They are from North !!

Can someone tell me how these four primary sources of moral values for the next generation are effective in Thailand?

1) Values/morals instilled by responsible parents.

2) Values/morals taught by the education system.

3) Religious morals.

4) A competent and just judicial system.

5) None of the above.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

If those in 'authority' call such action 'A case of youthful recklessness', I would suggest they need some serious education as well. When I was a lad, pinching apples from an orchard counted as youthful recklessness. An unprovoked attack on an innocent bystander would certainly have been called attemped murder or at best grievous bodily harm.

Defence of irresponsible and evil young toe rags by those enforcing the law is reprehensible.

• Like 2