German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

...Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Just get a licence and you can get a gun.

And do what? Carry it around with you all the time and then find its useless when some one caves in your head with a hoe from behind?

For what it's worth, my understanding is that a farang cannot get a gun license. Your wife gets it and then you keep the gun. I stand ready to be corrected though as it's just what I've been told, I haven't researched it.

this violence is becoming more widespread but its not just farangs getting attacked, a young thai

lad (16 years old) was shot and killed eleven days ago 40 mins outside udon thani, I'm not sure

if it was in the news but he died in udon thani hospital.

"All three suspects have been charged with physical assault leading to grave injuries. Pol.Col. Surin said a murder charge will also be filed if the man dies from his injuries."

They have admitted they tried to copy the murder in Koh Tao, then why on earth are they not charged with the more serious charge of "attempted murder"??

Is there even one competent cop in Thailand?

Well lets see.

Within hours the RTP have identified the attackers, arrested the attackers, located the weapon used in the assault and gotten statements of guilt from the attackers.

The police are ready to pursue additional charges.

It would appear the only incompetence is in your ability to read the article?

The article does not say the police are ready to pursue additional charges, it instead mentions they will pursue the specific charge of murder in case the victim dies - exactly as I quoted.

Hence if the victim does not die, the charge is "physical assault leading to grave injuries".

So in short, I read the article and quoted it, you blamed me for not reading it and then proceed stating something that is NOT mentioned in the article. Lets let the other readers decide for themselves who is incompetent :-)

I stand by what I said--the RTP did a great job here and were in no way incompetent as you clearly claimed.

Furthermore, are you well versed in Thai Criminal Code?

Its quite possible that the charge of "Physical Assault Leading to Grave Injury" is exactly the charge that fits.

Or was that just more trash talking on your part about the incompetence of Thai Police? But then you must be very knowledgable about Criminal Code for you to make the allegation so please expound.

1. 3 reasonably sized Thai guys

2. The inherent hatred is surfacing too often these days

I have thought about this so much for years. Thai parents do not chastise their kids when kids disrespect or unsult fatangs..even when they say stuff in Thai in front of a farang. The parent says nothing and in that regard just condone any ridiculing of westerners. I seen it myself when i used to teach in Bangkok years ago.

I really believe the rich thais ( ie. So called smart ones) and powerful people have let this attitude of hate keep growing.

and more so,blaming farangs for everything bad that happens in Thailand

its a tool of the rich.. Blame the farang for eveything and somehow this is the reason they are poor and farang are so rich

good for them since they will never know in fact it is the rich thai who they all love and respect that have been supressing,duping,abusing them for ages.

keep them stupid! Even the laws do facililitate this

Starts at the top. No end in sight. Take it or leave it.

Ask yourself where would this country be without the farang and tourist $. Yet so many Thais hate farangs. One day they will be left to rot like some of them deserve. Pity for the nice genuine Thais who will also be left to suffer. The same way so many Thai men walk out on their wives and girlfriends leaving them to look after the children they helped bring onto this planet.

A park in Udon early morning I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand, I'm beginning to feel nowhere is safe. Very sad hope this poor man recovers, no one deserves this.

A lot of poor young males hate Farangs that live here all year around as they are spoiling the women and they are to poor to complete.

Here it will be your country if old man from a foreign country to wave money at the women you want to go with

The German was 25 and if you think old men get the women that young Thai men want then you are mistaken. Wealth is an issue I will admit.

You are mistake Farangs get their sister and mothers, they do not get Doctors and lawyers

Young Thai men don't want doctors or lawyers they want the cutest girl available. Isaan is hugely different to other tourist areas with traditional values and a strong sense of family and community, this violence will shock many who live in Udon. Its almost like a different country and Thais that have "farang" in their family tend to treat them with respect even if it is for financial reasons.

I'm not an old guy and have never experienced hatred from the people of Issan unlike a couple of events in a southern tourist spot.

I'm not denying that there maybe some young Thai men with a chip on their shoulder but Issan really is a safe place.

From the article: "Police chalked it up to “youthful recklessness” and lamented the damage the teens had done to their futures."

So now murdering tourists is considered "youthful recklessness?" I sure hope something was lost in translation there. Best wishes for the German fellow's recovery.

I find it strange that so many people posting here decry the horrible violence and then propose as a solution even greater violence.

This is a horrible thing to happen.

Koh Toa murders were horrible.

But is any violence less horrible?

Justice - yes. Vigilante revenge - NO!

Remember that it is gun-toting Americans who have one of the highest (maybe THE highest) per-capita murder rates in the developed world. Are guns making their land safer???? Is downtown LA or Columbine classrooms safer than Udon?

"All three suspects have been charged with physical assault leading to grave injuries. Pol.Col. Surin said a murder charge will also be filed if the man dies from his injuries."

They have admitted they tried to copy the murder in Koh Tao, then why on earth are they not charged with the more serious charge of "attempted murder"??

Well lets see.

Within hours the RTP have identified the attackers, arrested the attackers, located the weapon used in the assault and gotten statements of guilt from the attackers.

The article does not say the police are ready to pursue additional charges, it instead mentions they will pursue the specific charge of murder in case the victim dies - exactly as I quoted.

Hence if the victim does not die, the charge is "physical assault leading to grave injuries".

So in short, I read the article and quoted it, you blamed me for not reading it and then proceed stating something that is NOT mentioned in the article. Lets let the other readers decide for themselves who is incompetent :-)

I stand by what I said--the RTP did a great job here and were in no way incompetent as you clearly claimed.

Furthermore, are you well versed in Thai Criminal Code?

Its quite possible that the charge of "Physical Assault Leading to Grave Injury" is exactly the charge that fits.

Or was that just more trash talking on your part about the incompetence of Thai Police? But then you must be very knowledgable about Criminal Code for you to make the allegation so please expound.

Of course you stand by what you said, noone likes to admit they <deleted> up. It is much better to divert attention till noone recalls what was said and what wasn't :-)

It still does not change the fact that what you wrote was actually not stated in the article and was factually wrong according to the quote I posted.

Yes, the current charge may well fit the crime, but I dare you to find any criminal code anywhere where any form of assault (not leading to death) is a more serious crime than attempted murder :-)

Further in criminal cases the prosecution will usually (if not always) go for the most severe charge, at least till a deal is struck.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

Yes, all of it, and combined with alcohol and drugs anything is possible.

Poor guy. Copycat killers. Oh my God. So Thai delinquents were so excited by the Koh Tao murders they are now going to go after any hated farang they see with hoes.

It is now time for embassies to start thinking about evacuation plans for their nationals from this country.

German tabloids will have a field day with this disgusting case and the cops probably about to let the murderers of the German guy in Samui go.

Madame billionaire tourism ministress has got her work cut out to arrange a record breaking high season this year. Were these kids training for for the Thai youth ambassadors who are going to guide foreign tourists upcountry. What about the electronic bracelets to tag tourists so they know who they were when they have been murdered.

Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Ha, ha, ha, call in the army, the air-force and the marines, please, get us out of here!? A wee bit over the top don`t you think? The headline says a copycat attack. The only similarity that I can see is that the thugs used a garden hoe for their assault, besides that it has nothing in common with the Koh Tao murders, there was no sexual motive for example and of course we don`t know what actually provoked this attack.

Amazing isn`t it, I have lived here for 31 years and somehow managed to survive all the coups, bird flu scares, pig flu, red shirt and yellow shirt disputes.

Attacks by thugs happen all over the world, probably much more common in Europe, the States and the UK. Thailand in my opinion is still one of the safest destinations for foreigners and like everywhere else, it can be just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, only bad luck, as being victims of crime can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time.

For those who feel that living or visiting Thailand is a risk, than the solution is simple, live or visit other places where it is believed to be safer.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Well lets see.

It is all well and good that the police catch the bad guys, but they are still incompetent if they do not even know what to charge them with. Especially as the bad guys have already told police that they attempted to murder the victim = attempted murder :-)

So in short, I read the article and quoted it, you blamed me for not reading it and then proceed stating something that is NOT mentioned in the article.

Lets let the other readers decide for themselves who is incompetent :-)

does not take much to figure out as C.C. has posted erroneous information on other threads

and if anyone (that's 99.9%) disagrees he tells them how he's intelligent and they are incompetent

perhaps the genius can explain why these two lads are the first I have seen after committing such a

serious crime who are not handcuffed. p.s I see your drink enquiry got shot to bits...LOL

• Like 1

As for the base of this problem is the same as any problem on any subject.

1st. Must admit/know there is a problem

2nd. Be willing to..ie WANT to change/adjust behaviour to solve the problem

I hate to be negative and honestly,I wish it could be some other way, but i cannot see the sector of Thai people that think this destructive way ever change or even consider the above steps.

It is easier to say its all foreigners fault

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

It has always been dangerous in certain areas but it seems it is spreading fast now.

I always use to feel safe here but not any more.

If ever I see a gang of these cowardly scum hanging around I avoid them like the plague.

Where are the "This happens in many countries brigade".

It still does not change the fact that what you wrote was actually not stated in the article and was factually wrong according to the quote I posted.

Yes, the current charge may well fit the crime, but I dare you to find any criminal code anywhere where any form of assault (not leading to death) is a more serious crime than attempted murder :-)

Further in criminal cases the prosecution will usually (if not always) go for the most severe charge, at least till a deal is struck.

MonkeyCountry, I will ask once again--Do you have any knowledge of Thai Criminal Law? Or are you attempting to apply the laws of your own country here in Thailand?

I am interested in facts--not in assumptions made by posters who rant and rave about how bad Thailand is.

Are the statements you have made based on knowledge of Thai Law and Precedent?

-----------

Now here are the points I made that disproved your claim the police had been incompetent:

Within hours the RTP have

-- identified the attackers,

-- arrested the attackers,

-- located the weapon used in the assault,

-- gotten statements of guilt from the attackers, and

-- are ready to pursue additional charges.

Each of these statements is true and clearly indicated in the article. In other words, your accusation failed at all levels. You cannot prove your claim of incompetence.

If you can then please do so now. Otherwise, you are offering a straw-man argument because you got called for your BS.

BTW, some posters could easily misinterpret your username as being a racist moniker against the Thai people, ie a country full of monkeys.

Edited by ClutchClark

I have two sincere Thai friends who don't BS me and I don't BS them, we have a great respect for each other. The xenophobia is there, but not from everyone, mostly Thai men, the younger ones and some of them don't hide it speaking in Thai with my friend in front of me thinking I don't understand a word, same thing for some foreign who are making comments to me about Thai people thinking they don't understand what we are talking about.

They are for North East so in Bangkok and Phuket they also suffer from xenophobia from their own countrymen because of the color of their skin. They tell me this xenophobia is also exacerbated by a group of a certain shirt color who are very nationalist (the wrong way).

I learn to close my mouth and to turn my tong 7 times before making any comment on Thailand and Thai people, it can be very dangerous, I also mastered the art of sensing that something is not right and I should get out of there.

In fact, my friends are more afraid for me that I am myself.

The one time that thing almost went wrong, was in Udon Thani, I was we 4 Thais and we went to the Tawan Daeng for a drink and a little fun, it was not the first time and every time was great with many very sympathetic Thais who were happy to see a farang in Tawan Daeng. That night, one of the Thai people who was with me overheard a conversation coming back from the loo, a group of young guys were making racist comment about farang being there, by coincidence, I was the only one in the place, so up we went out to another place. The Thais, who were with me were very outraged by those comments.

This xenophobia is nothing new in Thailand, but they use to hide it very well behind a smile.

Poor guy. Copycat killers. Oh my God. So Thai delinquents were so excited by the Koh Tao murders they are now going to go after any hated farang they see with hoes.

It is now time for embassies to start thinking about evacuation plans for their nationals from this country.

German tabloids will have a field day with this disgusting case and the cops probably about to let the murderers of the German guy in Samui go.

Madame billionaire tourism ministress has got her work cut out to arrange a record breaking high season this year. Were these kids training for for the Thai youth ambassadors who are going to guide foreign tourists upcountry. What about the electronic bracelets to tag tourists so they know who they were when they have been murdered.

Going insane. Can farangs have permission to carry guns please?

Ha, ha, ha, call in the army, the air-force and the marines, please, get us out of here!? A wee bit over the top don`t you think? The headline says a copycat attack. The only similarity that I can see is that the thugs used a garden hoe for their assault, besides that it has nothing in common with the Koh Tao murders, there was sexual motive for example.

Amazing isn`t it, I have lived here for 31 years and somehow managed to survive all the coups, bird flu scares, pig flu, red shirt and yellow shirt disputes.

Attacks by thugs happen all over the world, probably much more common in Europe, the States and the UK. Thailand in my opinion is still one of the safest destinations for foreigners and like everywhere else, it can be just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, only bad luck, as being victims of crime can happen to anyone, anywhere at any time.

For those who feel that living or visiting Thailand is a risk, than the solution is simple, live or visit other places where it is believed to be safer.

Seems many have left any many not coming if you ask mesad.png

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

It has always been dangerous in certain areas but it seems it is spreading fast now.

I always use to feel safe here but not any more.

If ever I see a gang of these cowardly scum hanging around I avoid them like the plague.

Where are the "This happens in many countries brigade".

Just scroll back a way... I had one reply to my post..

The Daily Mail did a story on "that" new book yesterday it will no doubt be banned for life for the Mail...........TAT said the writer was "exaggerating"......... OH REALLY!!

Surprised they havent already arrested the writer harming Thailands "image"

If you mean Stapleton "most dangerous tourist destination on earth" guy (also has Telegraph review) then I believe he is not currently in TH so no defamation arrest. No doubt the regime can track him down for "computer crime" type defamation if they so chose.

Third world mentality on full display again. Please don't tell me it happens everywhere and there are good and bad everywhere because that just belittles the poor lad's predicament and makes you look sad. Young male aggression born through being spoilt, nonsensical, violent TV and the need to gain <deleted> face is especially prevalent here and almost unique to most of the rest of the world. Drag their coward asses from the streets forever and also bang up their parents and drain their bank accounts for the victims. It needs tough measures to extricate oneself from being regarded as third world.

Hope he pulls through.

• Like 1