German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

The article clearly stated they were carrying the hoe for protection against rival groups (gangs).

The question asked by Techikall was a reasonable one and gave no indication of blaming the victim.

I am curious if the victim had been drinking with his two friends.

Carrying a hoe for protection, yeah right.

That's what every well hard teenager does. Nothing looks cooler than a hoe in your hand.

Don't think that story carries any truth whatsoever, in fact I'd say its just BS.

As for whether the German was drinking or not, why is that relevant?

He wants to drink he can, it's not a crime, whereas unprovoked, premeditated, violent assault with a deadly weapon is.

Why do you always look for argument and make more of a simple inquiry than exists?

I simply asked if the German was drinking for the same reason I asked to know the actual time of the attack.

Why? Because I like to know as many details as I can about an incident so I can learn from it and make educated, well informed opinions.

Obviously, not a priority of many TV members.

Good enough reason or do I need your permission in the future?

Yer killin' me Blues.

Nothing in my post or any previous post has suggested anything except this appears to be a violent assault against an innocent man.

As for your claim that theses suspects would not have been carrying around a hoe for protection from rivals?

Why not?

These guys carry guns and knives all the time. It does not seem out of the ordinary at all they would be carrying a weapon at that hour of night.

CC, seriously, how does whether the German had been drinking or not affect our understanding of the story?

He was assaulted in a cowardly and vicious manner by thugs.

Whether he was drinking or not is completely irrelevant.

As for the vicious little thugs reason given for carrying the hoe around, come on, no way is that even in the same solar system as the truth. It's utter BS.

If you felt I was insinuating you were justifying this attack, I apologise, that was not my intent.

My reference to the violent actions of the thugs who assaulted the victim was merely intended as a contrast to any drinking he may or may not have done.

He was doing nothing wrong and they had every intention of hurting someone.

Anyone would do as long as they were defenseless and {as the OP would appear to allege} foreign.

• Like 1

I wonder if the" Two Thai friends" helped him out

The article said the Germans friends sustained wounds--one would assume they were from protecting their friend.

The article said the two assaulters friends helped him in the attack.

Maybe the link was not working for you?

Having read the article in question it is yet another example of poor journalism accentuated by a 'shock' headline. Obviously the journalist in question spent little time actually investigating but relied heavily on hearsay, and second and third hand reports. How much time was spent in Isaan for example - none I guess!

• Like 1

Blues,

I wrote this in post #176:

For instance, had the young man been out drinking all night or had he just woken up to watch the sunrise? Knowing this can give an intelligent person insight into how well he may have been able to fend off the attackers and can provide clues into how seriously his injuries are.

----------

I was curious about alcohol and about specific time of incident because I go for morning walk ps every day and I start before sunrise. I have an enlarged prostate and have to piss early and no sense trying to get back to bed. Early morning I can go for a walk and piss every 20' if its one of those mornings.

So its useful to me to know if 5:00 in the morning is no longer safe?

There are all these new posters nowadays and there constant stalking posts have been like a bad case of piles. I am spending so much time trying to get rid of their itch that I don't have the patience I should for convos with the regular guys like you.

My apologies but it was you that read far more into my post than existed and suggested I was insinuating the German was at fault. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Edited by ClutchClark

Copycat tourist attempted murders. Pure evil.

Seems that all the xenophobic gangsta types with some fam money and connections feel immune.

Westerners now `fair game`?. An attitude perceived as coming from the top

Can any of us still really feel welcome in LOSt?

Check out latest book by Stapleton. "Thailand most dangerous tourist destination on earth" "Visitor numbers expected to be down 1m this year.

Edit link lost aol something

Edited by heyexile

Having read the article in question it is yet another example of poor journalism accentuated by a 'shock' headline. Obviously the journalist in question spent little time actually investigating but relied heavily on hearsay, and second and third hand reports. How much time was spent in Isaan for example - none I guess!

Begging your pardon but don't most reporters depend on hearsay?

Isn't it all hearsay if they weren't witness to the event?

"All three suspects have been charged with physical assault leading to grave injuries. Pol.Col. Surin said a murder charge will also be filed if the man dies from his injuries."

They have admitted they tried to copy the murder in Koh Tao, then why on earth are they not charged with the more serious charge of "attempted murder"??

Is there even one competent cop in Thailand?

There's more than one but they are utterly overwhelmed by the incompetent ones, the worst in higher positions which is precisely what corruption produces.

Who is likely to be in a position to pay multi millions for a better post - the rich corrupt cop or the poorly paid excellent one? That is the infection of corruption which people just do not think about. Supporting corruption raises the worst people to positions of the most power - exactly the problem with Thailand everywhere

• Like 1

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

Police and military are helpless against this kind of violence.

I know it sounds bad....because it is.

Which Udon park was it?

There are three popular parks. Nong Prajak is the biggest, and most popular for morning exercise. There are more gangs here than the other two smaller ones. Many more farangs use Nong Prajak... However, my wife and I used all the parks....although we lived closest to Nong Prajak. These gangs can be anywhere...at any park. It is not a big place.

I know mate. I just wondered if it was the latest lake that was improved; Nong Bua, which I like and use. Before it was improved the lake area had a bad reputation for teenage crime.

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

No Alwyn, Thailand is nowhere near as dangerous as the UK, even in Scotland, I read the news every day. For a nation of only four and a half million, hardly a day goes past without murders and rapes being reported, and there always seems to be a murder or assault trial going on.

I feel much more safer here in Thailand, even in Pattaya and Bangkok than I do in Scotland.

This is very upsetting...particularly to my wife and I. We spent many mornings in that park...just before sunrise. In the 3 years that we lived there, we went every day, and saw nothing like this. There was a gruesome murder of a bar owner by his own staff, at his house...but not random violence at the park.

Police and military are helpless against this kind of violence.

I know it sounds bad....because it is.

Which Udon park was it?

There are three popular parks. Nong Prajak is the biggest, and most popular for morning exercise. There are more gangs here than the other two smaller ones. Many more farangs use Nong Prajak... However, my wife and I used all the parks....although we lived closest to Nong Prajak. These gangs can be anywhere...at any park. It is not a big place.

I know mate. I just wondered if it was the latest lake that was improved; Nong Bua, which I like and use. Before it was improved the lake area had a bad reputation for teenage crime.

I am sure we will find out. Must be some Thai gossip going around Udon by now....I am thinking Nong Prajak. Saw hundreds of scooters and kids parked at a time.

I can't help but be very concerned about my safety as well as other farang's safety here now.

I too, will consider getting the heck out of here.

I pray that the German man does recover and can lead a some what normal life,

although how can anyone really recover from something this horrible.

Just hope that these scum get executed.

The sooner the better!

Surely not ... didn't the RTP announce during the Koh Tao murders that a Thai would never commit such an heinous crime ... must be those Burmese masquerading as Thais.

Let's hope the German guy pulls through. Crime where I live is almost nil but there again I now live in a reasonably civilized country where nationalism, narcissism, greed and corruption are not the main agenda for the citizens. Seriously you couldn't pay me enough to enter Thailand ... ever again.

• Like 2

Becomes more dangerous here.

I think I'm going to apply for a gun license.

Looks as foreigners can be robbed, assaulted, beaten up and killed here without any penalty.

500 baht bail and these criminals are tomorrow again outside.

I think many of us have thought of arming ourselves at some time here....but the consequences for a falang, if we did shoot and kill or harm, would be dire......I'm pretty sure we would get a whole lot more than a small fine and slap!

• Like 2

I don't agree.The report contains the essence of the necessary information as to what happened, plus the link to the definitive article. As to the shock headline, the perps admitted it was a copy-cat dare of the Koh Tao murders with a hoe. Where it happened, is of lesser importance and doesn't need a Google map to pin-point the location.

• Like 1

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

Who really knows....but there certainly seems to be an evil trait developing among young Thai men over the past few years......

They are handed scooters, cars, and cash to run around freely. There are no alternative forms of fun...just malingering, gang rivalry, and drinking/drugs.

Mom, dad, teachers, police and municipal hall have to inclination to teach any precepts of decent behavior. Sorry..but true

I've been casually looking at walking sticks (Canes) for quite awhile but just can't seem to find the right one. The other day while sitting down and eating dinner at a restaurant in walks this older man with his wife. He was using what appeared to be a Cane. As he walked passed my table and upon closer examination the Cane that he was using wasn't a Cane at all... He was using a Golf Club for his Cane.

I've now stopped looking and I know exactly what type of multi purpose Cane I'll start using.

• Like 1

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

No Alwyn, Thailand is nowhere near as dangerous as the UK, even in Scotland, I read the news every day. For a nation of only four and a half million, hardly a day goes past without murders and rapes being reported, and there always seems to be a murder or assault trial going on.

I feel much more safer here in Thailand, even in Pattaya and Bangkok than I do in Scotland.

Hi, I didn't suggest is is as dangerous as the UK or Scotland! To be honest I only ever had a couple of run in's but that was with drunk expats and a tourist, and once with a taxi driver when I was collecting my daughter and boyfriend from a hotel (I don't need to explain the basis of that row). I always felt safe in Thailand particularly in Chiang Mai. But then I always feel safe wherever I am, even when I contracted in Brasil for a year.