German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

No Alwyn, Thailand is nowhere near as dangerous as the UK, even in Scotland, I read the news every day. For a nation of only four and a half million, hardly a day goes past without murders and rapes being reported, and there always seems to be a murder or assault trial going on.

I feel much more safer here in Thailand, even in Pattaya and Bangkok than I do in Scotland.

Hi, I didn't suggest is is as dangerous as the UK or Scotland! To be honest I only ever had a couple of run in's but that was with drunk expats and a tourist, and once with a taxi driver when I was collecting my daughter and boyfriend from a hotel (I don't need to explain the basis of that row). I always felt safe in Thailand particularly in Chiang Mai. But then I always feel safe wherever I am, even when I contracted in Brasil for a year.

I think you will be safe in most countries if you stay sober and mind your own business.

• Like 2

It is horrifying to hear that they emulate killings of farangs. It is catching on. Definitely a new trend starting with Koh Tao. Dark, black thoughts....

we were bad kids growing up...but it was with cans of spray paint, skipping school, and splashing people by driving though puddles. Not chopping up tourists with farm equipment.

• Like 1

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

No Alwyn, Thailand is nowhere near as dangerous as the UK, even in Scotland, I read the news every day. For a nation of only four and a half million, hardly a day goes past without murders and rapes being reported, and there always seems to be a murder or assault trial going on.

I feel much more safer here in Thailand, even in Pattaya and Bangkok than I do in Scotland.

Hi, I didn't suggest is is as dangerous as the UK or Scotland! To be honest I only ever had a couple of run in's but that was with drunk expats and a tourist, and once with a taxi driver when I was collecting my daughter and boyfriend from a hotel (I don't need to explain the basis of that row). I always felt safe in Thailand particularly in Chiang Mai. But then I always feel safe wherever I am, even when I contracted in Brasil for a year.

I think you will be safe in most countries if you stay sober and mind your own business.

Works for me!

• Like 1

Well at least the cops aren't blaming the Burmese or Cambodians.

Bang goes another 10k tourist arrivals.

10000 tourist arrivals? Really?? I think our perceptions get very distorted with TV as a news source. I just did a Google news search, and this story is only being picked up in the Thai media so far. Granted, it's still hot off the press. Let's see what happens over the next couple of days, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes barely a ripple in the international media. Hard to compete with ISIS, ebola, and the Ukraine.

In all my years in Thailand this has probably been the worst for crimes against foreigners. Young German guy fighting for his life while he was minding his own business.

I fail to share your optimism.

Also of course, someone considering to spend big bucks coming to Thailand is more likely to do some research on the country rather than worrying about ISIS.

Having read the article in question it is yet another example of poor journalism accentuated by a 'shock' headline. Obviously the journalist in question spent little time actually investigating but relied heavily on hearsay, and second and third hand reports. How much time was spent in Isaan for example - none I guess!

I don't agree.The report contains the essence of the necessary information as to what happened, plus the link to the definitive article. As to the shock headline, the perps admitted it was a copy-cat dare of the Koh Tao murders with a hoe. Where it happened, is of lesser importance and doesn't need a Google map to pin-point the location.

The entire report is based on the premise that THAILAND should be avoided by westerners seeking a trouble free holiday. The journalist in question made no mention of the south with its unique problems, no mention of the north with its undercurrents of political dissent and certainly no mention of Isaan with its ethnically diverse population. However, these localised problems should pale into insignificance when one makes a judgement as to whether or not to come to Thailand. Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Ko Samui, for example, are not representative of Thailand (thank god) and the Thai people. The article in question is solely designed to sell copy, is highly selective and certainly does not represent the Thailand that I know.

As for the alleged criminals and the RTP story - that, like every other story of its ilk will be a daily drawn out saga of lies, half-truths and utter rubish.

I heard this story many times from various local sources over the years..even had a girl who claimed to be present at the summary trial may just be a local legend..

Back in the beginning of the end of the 70,s beginning of 80,s there were several episodes where US seamen was robbed in Pattaya, one particular incident that put an end to all this was when a sailor went to the appartment of a Katoy, (not knowing that there was a string attached)..anyway the Sailor ended up dead and robbed of his values, the Katoy fled the scene and returned to its home village to let things cool down.

US Navy put a bit of pressure on the local Cops and a few days later the Katoy was returned to Pattaya, - The local coppers gathered some residents ( some claim also a Navy Commander was present )and took the Katoy up the hill towards Jomtien where they held a summary trial and immediately put a bullet in its head..after that the robberies of US Navy kind of slowed down a bit..

Oh well TIT, Who knows

I've been casually looking at walking sticks (Canes) for quite awhile but just can't seem to find the right one. The other day while sitting down and eating dinner at a restaurant in walks this older man with his wife. He was using what appeared to be a Cane. As he walked passed my table and upon closer examination the Cane that he was using wasn't a Cane at all... He was using a Golf Club for his Cane.

I've now stopped looking and I know exactly what type of multi purpose Cane I'll start using.

Absolutely.....I go for regular walks outside of Pattaya by the lake. I carry a Ping putter that has a "U' shaped head with two evil looking prongs on either side. Icarry it like a walking stick and I kid myself it's to ward off the soi dogs, of which there are many, but, subconsciously, I'm sure I have it to defend myself if the worst happens.

I never wanted to feel that way, but at 73 stories like this make me feel it justified. Very sad.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

...is it hatred, stupidity, wickedness? Maybe a combination.

This is horrific, just violence for violence's sake by the sound of it. Not unusual in itself but this certainly seems a racist act. The copycat angle is scary.

Is it my imagination or is there a hell of a lot more violence today than a decade ago, or is it just the expansion of social media so we actually hear about these things

A park in Udon early morning I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand, I'm beginning to feel nowhere is safe. Very sad hope this poor man recovers, no one deserves this.

A lot of poor young males hate Farangs that live here all year around as they are spoiling the women and they are to poor to complete.

Here it will be your country if old man from a foreign country to wave money at the women you want to go with

The German was 25 and if you think old men get the women that young Thai men want then you are mistaken. Wealth is an issue I will admit.

You are mistake Farangs get their sister and mothers, they do not get Doctors and lawyers

Maybe it is the translation but the police passing it off as a 'typical case of youthful recklessness ' when the victim only has a 50 percent chance of survival seems a bit of an understatement.

Any chance of getting the "youthful recklessness" police, and the no Thai could do such a thing guy on the Thai PBS show with Nataya to discuss this?

Having read the article in question it is yet another example of poor journalism accentuated by a 'shock' headline. Obviously the journalist in question spent little time actually investigating but relied heavily on hearsay, and second and third hand reports. How much time was spent in Isaan for example - none I guess!

I don't agree.The report contains the essence of the necessary information as to what happened, plus the link to the definitive article. As to the shock headline, the perps admitted it was a copy-cat dare of the Koh Tao murders with a hoe. Where it happened, is of lesser importance and doesn't need a Google map to pin-point the location.

The entire report is based on the premise that THAILAND should be avoided by westerners seeking a trouble free holiday. The journalist in question made no mention of the south with its unique problems, no mention of the north with its undercurrents of political dissent and certainly no mention of Isaan with its ethnically diverse population. However, these localised problems should pale into insignificance when one makes a judgement as to whether or not to come to Thailand. Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya and Ko Samui, for example, are not representative of Thailand (thank god) and the Thai people. The article in question is solely designed to sell copy, is highly selective and certainly does not represent the Thailand that I know.

As for the alleged criminals and the RTP story - that, like every other story of its ilk will be a daily drawn out saga of lies, half-truths and utter rubish.

If you read my 222 post, you will realise my views on Thailand as being a relatively safe country to live. What is patently clear is that in UT a copy-cat attack was carried out - and my take on the report is that to raise awareness of the dangers to tourists even in 'peaceful' areas is reasonable.

• Like 1

I've been casually looking at walking sticks (Canes) for quite awhile but just can't seem to find the right one. The other day while sitting down and eating dinner at a restaurant in walks this older man with his wife. He was using what appeared to be a Cane. As he walked passed my table and upon closer examination the Cane that he was using wasn't a Cane at all... He was using a Golf Club for his Cane.

I've now stopped looking and I know exactly what type of multi purpose Cane I'll start using.

A graphite shaft won't bend and is stronger against breakage. Steel shafts are thin walled and bend or break easily unless you fill them with concrete.

• Like 1

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

Not much in the way of coastline up here I am afraid.

Have to say I am shocked. Been here eight years and never a hint of trouble. But it seems there is pretty much an informal curfew for farang Thailand wide.....in the early hours you take your chances. Sad state of affairs.

I hope the German gentleman recovers soon and doesn't die.

Also hope these scum of the earth go to prison for a very long time.

Another story of some little cowards living amongst us.

maybe a fine of 500 Baht? Or 50 Baht more? Maybe he was mistaken???/

In what world we are living here??? sad.png

"All three suspects have been charged with physical assault leading to grave injuries. Pol.Col. Surin said a murder charge will also be filed if the man dies from his injuries."

They have admitted they tried to copy the murder in Koh Tao, then why on earth are they not charged with the more serious charge of "attempted murder"??

Is there even one competent cop in Thailand?

Well lets see.

Within hours the RTP have identified the attackers, arrested the attackers, located the weapon used in the assault and gotten statements of guilt from the attackers.

The police are ready to pursue additional charges.

It would appear the only incompetence is in your ability to read the article?

The article does not say the police are ready to pursue additional charges, it instead mentions they will pursue the specific charge of murder in case the victim dies - exactly as I quoted.

Hence if the victim does not die, the charge is "physical assault leading to grave injuries".

It is all well and good that the police catch the bad guys, but they are still incompetent if they do not even know what to charge them with. Especially as the bad guys have already told police that they attempted to murder the victim = attempted murder :-)

So in short, I read the article and quoted it, you blamed me for not reading it and then proceed stating something that is NOT mentioned in the article.

Lets let the other readers decide for themselves who is incompetent :-)

Edited by monkeycountry
  • Like 2

Are they sure they were Thai teenagers?

Really sure?

surely, must be a mistake!

Thai people don't do such things.

But we should ask the good general if in doubt, if true, he should sort out in no time the reason....was the German guy wearing a bikini?