Thais rally behind police officer seen kicking drunk driver

webfact

No matter what nationality people are and support the police handing out beatings, is unacceptable. As mentioned by others the police are there to uphold the law and not hand out the punishments. The courts should have that responsibility. It is difficult to see Thailand in a positive light when the people agree with this sought of barbaric justice. For everyone who thinks this is acceptable I suggest you evaluate if you want Thailand to be seen as a developing country. Behaviour of this kind by the policeman belongs in the less developed world.

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drunk drivers are scum and Thailand has long been far to lenient with this crime. It's hard to get upset about one getting a kick to the head, but the officer should have refrained from doing so as it is not his place to dole out punishment.

However, the courts need to seriously increase the severity of punishments. Anyone who drinks and gets behind the wheel should have their vehicle confiscated and spend the next couple years in prison, and that goes for the huge number of foreigners I see doing it too.

Post of the month from me thumbsup.gif

as far a I'm concerned when someone gets into the driving seat of any type of vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs - that combination then becomes lethal and has the increased potential to kill or seriously injure an innocent 3rd party

It doesn't give the right to police to meat out roadside justice

Speaking to Channel 3 over the weekend, Pol.Sen.Sgt.Maj. Poradet apologised for his action and explained that he could not control his rage over what the suspect had done at the time.

"I admit my fault. I apologise to every side, but no one saw what the suspect had done,"

Oh Mr. Police, really? Was it something like this?

10340074_667683436674642_699575023927647

Picture taken here:

https://www.facebook.com/610520449057608/photos/a.610780865698233.1073741828.610520449057608/667683436674642/?type=1#

In many countries outside Thailand, this guy could walk free because of the actions of the Police officer.

That's why it is wrong to kick a suspect.

Police are only supposed to arrest a suspect.

The courts are there for doing the rest.

You are so right. And in at least one so-called civilised country which likes to tell everyone to share its values, the Police there shoot you dead.

• Like 2

I was expecting to hear they were defending him because of something not reported; some mitigating circumstance. The Thai public who are defending this police officer certainly shows the difference in attitude between the East and West. It's still frontier justice here.

maybe the policeman was a bit emotional because his kids go to that school, how would you guys feel if your kids attended a school where some drunk was ploughing into cars and you feared for your kids, i would be kicking the jesus out of him, seen it happen, can really stir up your emotions

• Like 2

Two things came to mind when I first saw this video.

The mafia in brown are poorly trained; they could barely subdue and cuff the guy.

I was suprised the rest of the brown thugs didn't join in the kicking once the guy was down

Just look at their body fit uniform. Sometime I wonder how they will chase after perps

Getting a lot of support from Thais on social media eh? This is justice... Thai-style then, I guess? I wondered if the police wai-ed and smiled at the downed guy before kicking him. I can understand if the parent of the injured girl did it, though I don't condone it. And I believe the drunk bastard should get a stiff sentence and then some. But a policeman dishing out street justice... not acceptable. But oh well... TiT.

maybe the policeman was a bit emotional because his kids go to that school, how would you guys feel if your kids attended a school where some drunk was ploughing into cars and you feared for your kids, i would be kicking the jesus out of him, seen it happen, can really stir up your emotions

Possibly I would as well but not if he was hand cuffed and defenceless. What the thug in brown did was a cowardly attack. He had plenty of oppertunity to have a go at him before he was cuffed but didn't.

• Like 1

This makes me laugh if a police officer can kick people in the face when they are hang cuffed in the middle of the road ,God only knows what they can do behind closed doors. When will Thais learn it is very bad for a person to be drunk and driving . But it a judges job to punish him the police are there to stop him they are not the judge and excacutioner. As I said before what happens behind closed doors??????

The driver had the wrong sort of car. Had it have been a Merc or something even more expensive, there would have been no need for handcuffs, let alone a kicking.

Sadly there is a lot of truth in that statement.

• Like 2

I'm sure the drunk nice man was just sitting there being very quiet and respectful to the officers.

That mean macho officer should have gone on a coffee break and let the family of the school girl he injured, and the owners of the 6 cars he hit, all have a nice conversation with the gentleman. I'm sure they could have worked something out. w00t.gif

There are several problems with your post. While it is true that, apparently, the "drunk nice man" resisted arrest, and in that case the use of force by the officers is both warranted and legal, once the subject has been subdued (as he was in this case) both the need for, and use of, force is no longer either warranted or legal. One of the problems that both Thais and the BIB seem to have is an understanding that the police are supposed to be the face of the law to the public. Due to the power that they wield, they are, and rightly should be, held to a higher standard. This officer's inability to control his emotions shows a lack of character and trustworthiness on his part. Someone else has noted that in many other countries this officer's action could result in the release of the subject. In most of the first world countries, this officer's actions would net a law suit for brutality against both him and the police force. What you fail to grasp is that, in this day of social media, video clips like this are seen around the world in a matter of hours after being posted on line. Visions of police officers brutalizing handcuffed suspects does not really do a lot to inspire foreigners to want to spend their hard earned money on vacation time in such a "lovely" place.

Your assertion that "...they could have worked something out" is pretty lame. The subject had already been arrested, was going to be transported to jail, and the job of the police was finished. In any truly "civilized" society the judicial system has layers of responsibility, and once one layer has completed its job, the next layer takes over. Here, the police had finished their job; it was now time for the prosecutor and the court to take over. Punishment is to be meted out by the court...NOT THE POLICE. You really want some guy with a gun on his hip and a baton in his hand to decide whether or not you (or a family member, friend) should be punished...and how severely?

Now this media report would have been sanctioned by the military colonels that come around to your place if they don't think your reports are in keeping with the direction or criticize the Government. I bet Ferrari kid didn't get a kick in the head?

The boot in the face was a vicious attack that could have gone horribly wrong. To have the man handcuffed the way he was, only shows a coward attack.

The driver needs to be punished as drink driving can lead to very serious consequences not only to the driver but innocent people. The policeman’s action was excessive in this case.

The driver had the wrong sort of car. Had it have been a Merc or something even more expensive, there would have been no need for handcuffs, let alone a kicking.

Sadly there is a lot of truth in that statement.

So true. Makes ya sick just thinking about it doesn't it? HiSo kids can kill cops and throw a van off an expressway killing people inside, and they get off lightly, while a poor rubbish collector selling DVD gets hell? This is one troubled society.

I just wonder, from a Thai cultural aspect, did the drunk driver in this instance 'loose face'?

In the first report it was reported that the drunk driver did resist arrest and they needed quite some effort to

restrain him and handcuf him. Perhaps this aggrevated this traffic policeman.

Still think he should not have kicked him.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The officer did what is not being done in any country anymore & that is giving them a bloody old fashioned hiding. Shit this idiot could have killed a child. All he'll receive is a fine......next day drunk again!!!

Are you serious? What planet are you living on?? Police brutality and violence is rife in just about every corner of the globe.. 'old fashioned hidings' are rampant.. police are killing unarmed citizens in the US and elsewhere... But I strongly agree with your last statement EB, this drunkard will most probably be let off and it wont be long before he is out there again... However, beating someone senseless teaches them nothing, and achieves nothing of value for either party concerned. Just what we need, more violence in the world... wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png talk about blind leading the blind..

Animals, believing kicking a person in the head who is on the ground, cuffed and secured is barbaric. There is absolutely no justification for kicking a person who is down. I guess this is just thainess to hand out your own punishment. I bet this hero felt great beating up someone who couldn't defend himself. I bet he kicks over prams with babies in them and laughs also. Lowest piece of cowardly scum.

I agree with your post Chooka, except for the second sentence, If I was attacked without provocation and I put the attacker on the ground, which has happened though not in Thailand, I would make sure he stayed there even if I had to kick him again. You don't know what he is going to do if he gets up, maybe pull a knife.

• Like 1

Why am I not surprised that the Thai populace supports the use of unprovoked violence against a defenceless individual?

Really send out the message loud and clear..... Thais are not very nice people.

Wrong, you cannot generalize over this, I am the first to condemn Thai guys and their six to one odds when "fighting", but to say "Thais are not very nice people" I would say about 90% of them are.