Thais rally behind police officer seen kicking drunk driver

webfact

Thai Police beating up on handcuffed and restraned detainees seems to be the norm. I have witnessed this kind of behavier on a few occasions, one right outsde my own house. Rational thinking does not exist here and it all boils down to one plain and obvious reason. Lack of propper education.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Why is it a crime for the police to kick him?" one commentator wrote. "The police officer is suspended because of his inappropriate action. What about getting drunk and crashing someone else's cars, isn't that even more inappropriate?"

two wrongs don't make a right

Yet many Thais have posted messages and changed their profile photos on Facebook to express support for Poradet, whose behavior they are calling an appropriate punishment for the drunk driver.

Thainess at its ugliest - they honestly think that this type of behaviour is acceptable. There's no hope for Thais in the modern world - recently some politician or other stated that Thailand could survive as a segregated country; maybe that would be the best thing, no expats or tourism fueling the economy; I wonder how long it would take before they whistled a different tune?

Seems to me all the static created by this sensationalist headline is drowning out some really good news. Ie:

"...a traffic police officer was suspended from duty for kicking a drunk driver ... Police say Poradet would also face disciplinary and legal action for his assault."

Now we're talking.

Edited by Lex Talionis

There has to be a due process of law.

OK the guy was a suspect DUI , but the officer should have cuffed him and taken him to the cells, and from there, to the court to be dealt with.

There is no excuse for beating a helpless person in such a fashion, and RTP are correct in suspend him, and to take the correct action for assualt against him.

As for " Thais rally behind police officer kicking drunk driver " , these people are no better than animals in a jungle.

Animals, believing kicking a person in the head who is on the ground, cuffed and secured is barbaric. There is absolutely no justification for kicking a person who is down. I guess this is just thainess to hand out your own punishment. I bet this hero felt great beating up someone who couldn't defend himself. I bet he kicks over prams with babies in them and laughs also. Lowest piece of cowardly scum.

I agree with your post Chooka, except for the second sentence, If I was attacked without provocation and I put the attacker on the ground, which has happened though not in Thailand, I would make sure he stayed there even if I had to kick him again. You don't know what he is going to do if he gets up, maybe pull a knife.

Agree with this although a kick to the head while on the ground would be an absolute last resort. Everyone should learn where the liver is and learn how to make a liver strike. Properly executed it is an extremely effective strike.

• Like 1

Some time ago, I was in a small restaurant in Korat and there were several Police there eating and drinking beer and whiskey and soda. I observed one man going to his car, he could hardly walk he was so drunk. He fumbled with his keys and dropped them several times but eventually got is his car and started to drive off. I talked to the police and asked why they are going to let dime to drive in that condition. They all laughed and said he would not get to far before he goes in the ditch. That is the mentality of the drunks and the police. Can you understand why there are so many road deaths with this attitude from both sides of the coin.

Edited by cougar52

I'm sure the drunk nice man was just sitting there being very quiet and respectful to the officers.

That mean macho officer should have gone on a coffee break and let the family of the school girl he injured, and the owners of the 6 cars he hit, all have a nice conversation with the gentleman. I'm sure they could have worked something out. w00t.gif

police are to uphold the law not brake it. They have taken a person into custody and as such his physical and mental wellbeing are 110% thier responsibility. They have a duty of care to protect him not kick the shyt out of him. In Aust this dog excrement would be sued along with police force and his house, car and first born will all be gone.

This isn't Australia, thank Buddha.

I applaud the officer protecting the public fro idiots like this driver.

I was not aware that Thais could drive sober.....But maybe those that are sober do not own a car?

Many years ago I used to drive back from Pattaya to my home and work very early every Monday morning (spending the weekends in Pattaya and surroundings). During that drive I would always see trucks marooned and crashed in the most ridiculous positions, such as a the rear end buried in a deep ditch with the drivers cabin pointing straight up as if for a take off, very often the trucks would have just slowly veered into the ditch and lying on the side, or the truck would be straight down into a ditch with the rear pointing up as if it tried to drill down to the center of the Earth. Most of those accidents could only be explained by severely drunk driving, and it was always on Monday morning.

Nowadays you do not see that anymore, kind of miss those days, always interesting what you would see on your morning ride home.

• Like 1

I'm sure the drunk nice man was just sitting there being very quiet and respectful to the officers.

That mean macho officer should have gone on a coffee break and let the family of the school girl he injured, and the owners of the 6 cars he hit, all have a nice conversation with the gentleman. I'm sure they could have worked something out. w00t.gif

All irrelevant. He was caught and now it's the courts job to deal with him.

Just thinking out loud. Wonder if it is akin to the old Idea that an offense is against an individual rather than society. Thus, if the wronged person or family accepted the "blood money" or Wergeld, then the matter is settled. Long ago western jurisprudence changed to the offense being against society, not just the individual. Thus the District Attorney, in the name of the people brings the charges. Perhaps, also Thais would rather rely on street justice because there is some doubt that a fair, impartial justice system functions in fact. Just a thought...

An unknown number of alleged posts, on an unnamed social media does not represent the whole of society.

The article fails to mention any posts that support the suspension and criminal investigation of the officer. I would imagine there might be a "few" that would consider his conduct unacceptable and criminal.

• Like 2

"The suspect's hands were handcuffed behind his back when he was kicked by Pol.Sen.Sgt.Maj. Poradet. "

Only an idiot or a thug would support or justify this sort of action.

He did wrong, he's been caught, let the courts have him and deal with him.

And therein lies the problem. The "crowds" know the courts will not deal with him, or, if they do, do so lightly. Likely, they saw this policeman's action as the only punishment this guy will receive before he's back on the roads driving drunkenly and likely taking a few people's lives with him during his next accident.

• Like 1

The sad thing is this is kind of behavior by the forces of law and order is becoming commonplace in developed countries which should know better - notably the US, the supposed role model of a civilised, democratic society.

If the police officer was angry ( which he should not have been if he was professional ) Why wasn't he a man and face up to the driver, where at least the victim could have defended himself.

Whether he was guilty or not is not the point. He could have actually been ill, as I doubt the police did a breath test on him.

In Thailand you are guilty until you can prove your innocence.......Unless you are wealthy of course then you are never guilty.

Thais have a very sadistic streak I often see them kicking dogs just for fun.

for me personally i'd merrily prefer to hear a drunk belligerent handcuffed person sitting on the ground then engage you in a discussion / debate as to why i would be justified to assault the person.

drunks / alcoholics are not rational and assaulting them in the absence of self defense requires little character or courage.

they cheer a policeman for doing self justice against a defenseless victim who did not kill anybody

but do they care about police who refuse to bring a gang of murderers to justice so that they can walk free?

I am not talking about Koh Tao here but about the killers of the German man in Samui

"The suspect's hands were handcuffed behind his back when he was kicked by Pol.Sen.Sgt.Maj. Poradet. "

Only an idiot or a thug would support or justify this sort of action.

He did wrong, he's been caught, let the courts have him and deal with him.

And therein lies the problem. The "crowds" know the courts will not deal with him, or, if they do, do so lightly. Likely, they saw this policeman's action as the only punishment this guy will receive before he's back on the roads driving drunkenly and likely taking a few people's lives with him during his next accident.

You got it right on. Everyone knows the drunk will get off easy and be back driving very soon. The policeman just gave him a reminder that out here on the street he will get his ass kicked ,if the cops he resisted arrest from donot protect him The cop did him a favor. People saw the guy take a good shot ..You can see in the video they protect him behind a car. If they left him on the street parents of students in the area would have probably beat him within an inch of his life.

The ones who say if he was driving a mercedes this wouldnot have happened are right also. But he wasnot driving a mercedes and mob violence could have escalated rapidly..

• Like 2

''Part of me thinks the cop had a point...

...Some idiots will always condone violence so this is nothing new.''

So are you labelling yourself an idiot, or just that 'part' you? huh.png

How about label yourself one first and learn to read a post in its entirety because I didn't condone violence (unless you want to show me where I did).

Or how about think that given the circumstances he probably (in some people's eyes) deserved a bit of a kick for driving drunk, resisting arrest and crashing into people's cars.

So before coming out with smart arse comments in future may I suggest you up your reading comprehension skills. They're pretty light on the evidence of your reply here. Thanks

Whatever, it is the job of the police to arrest and charge law breakers, it then becomes the job of the courts to find those charged, guilty or not guilty and dish out the appropriate punishments, otherwise this is just a case of vigilante justice even if it is being carried out by a law enforcer.