Thailand Myanmar land crossing. Is it possible?

Hillywilly

Hi, a friend of mine in the uk is planning a trip for next year and wants to do a land border crossing between Thailand and Myanmar. He has been told by the uk foreign office that it is impossible to cross by land between the two countries. Does anyone know if this is right ?

I have only ever done one crossing, for a visa run back in march , and I know that a lot has changed since then......

I was wondering if anyone had any up to date info that they could share. I have been searching, but all the information seems to be from last year

Thanks in advance for any advice

The UK Foreign Office, like many others are hopelessly out of date. It has been possible to cross at 4 land borders between Thailand and Myanmar since Aug 28, 2013. That's well over a year now. Don't trust the information given by such sources, which are always much more conservative than they should be and often out-of-date if not fully inaccurate. Go to the Myanmar forum on this very website for more details, there's a whole 5 sections devoted to Myanmar here on TV.

Here are the 4 cross border overland crossings: Tarchileik-Mae Sai, Myawady-Mae Sot, Kawthaung-Ranong and Htee Khee-Sunaron. I always did the Myawaddy-Mae Sot crossing frequently. There is always quite alot of vehicular traffic there. When you are in the Myawaddy Immigration office, ask them what day the traffic will flow West into the interior. Yep, that's because the roads are horrendous, so traffic is limited to 1 direction each day. Example, Mon-West, Tue-East, so on. Have (5) copies of your Passport and VISA with you. Once you are in the interior, there are Police checkpoints here and there and the Police will ask you for a copy of them, even while you are traveling on a bus. Myanmar is an underdeveloped country with few tourist facilities, but more are on the way. If you have a chance, get to Yangon and visit Shwedagon Pagoda. Words cannot describe it, You have to see it with Your own eyes. Get your VISA from the Myanmar Embassy in Bangkok before you go. Plus, take crisp $100 USD Notes with you before entering. You can change them into Kyat readily. Today's rate of 1 USD =1045 Kyat, pronounced "Jet". Bring a pack or 2 of wet wipes,"Butt Wipes"with you. Remember one word, "Mingalaba". It is a Burmese Greeting. Good Luck! thumbsup.gif

9%0

• Like 2