License required to take Nepalese Buddha statue home?

lisu

Hi all,

We're moving back to the UK next month, and I have a Nepalese Buddha statue which I bought in Kathmandu, Nepal a few years ago for my shrine. It's not large - about 20cm. I want to take this back to the UK with me, and my question is, since it's NOT a Thai Buddha statue or Thai art/antique, and wasn't bought in Thailand, will I still need to apply for a license/permit to take it home? If so, where can I download the required application form (I looked on the government website and couldn't find any information).

Thanks for any information.

The problem is that any Buddha statue or even picture of buddha should be treated with the utmost care and respect. It will show up on the x Ray when putting it into check in luggage and you could be at risk of serious harassment as a suitcase is not a respectable way for a Buddha statue to travel. Taking a statue on board in seperate cabin luggage is ok, provided you don't stuff it in the overhead bin. But since your statue is brass, I don't think you will be allowed to take it as carry on. Better contact both customs and your airline to verify.

several years ago I hauled back,first to ChiangMai then to Canada, a large and heavy marble Buddha that I bought at Chatuchak market. I took it to the Department of Fine Arts at CMU to get a document that certified it was not a Thai Buddha image of any cultural value. It was determined to be of Burmese origin and to my surprise they dated it to approx.130yrs old.

It really was wonderful work and I regret selling it to a Taiwanese woman,who didn't even flinch at the price I threw at her after pestering me to sell it.......but $5,000 cash,with a smile, is hard to turn down.

As for your Buddha, I would take the chance and just wrap it up in the luggage. At worst they may spot it on x-ray and want to see it but they all know what a Thai-Buddha looks like and won't be bothered to cart it off to the "buddha-room" where all the Thai-buddhas that tourist are assured by sellers that are o.k to "take home" end up....I wonder what they do with them after?

Good Luck with your move - Cheers

Edited by HaleySabai