Three killed, 30 injured in bus-pickup crash in Ayutthaya

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I drove in Thailand back in 98. I was on my way to Buriram, in the passing lane doing about 100 kph when a farmer in an old piece of ==== truck pulled directly in front of me cutting me off to make a u turn, luckily my rental had excellent brakes!

Four dead, 47 injured in Ayutthaya crash
The Nation

30248157-01_big.jpg?1416440881851

THE BANGKOK Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday confirmed that it would take care of officials who were injured in a road accident yesterday in Ayutthaya's Bang Pahan district.

The crash of a chartered bus, carrying dozens of BMA Budget Office members of staff, and a pickup truck on Highway 347 resulted in four deaths and 47 injuries. The bus was the last one in a three-bus BMA caravan on a trip to a seminar in Chiang Mai province.

Witnesses told police that the truck cut in front of the bus to make a left turn, resulting in the bus crashing into the truck's rear.

Bus driver Somkiat Satri, 46; BMA policy analyst Theerasak Khotpong, 29; pickup driver Boonleu Saengparpai, 60; and truck passenger Khachachan Thareesit were killed in the tragedy.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra visited the injured at Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya Hospital, saying they would be provided with full financial support and later moved to a BMA hospital.

In related news, a Bangkok-Trang train yesterday morning rammed into a Honda sedan at a railway crossing in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Thung Song district, resulting in an explosion and fire, and killing all four people inside the car.

Police said the three men and one woman in the car had been heading from Songkhla to attend a funeral in Krabi province, but the driver was not familiar with the route and the railway crossing had no barrier.

The crash and subsequent clearing caused the railway line to be closed for two hours.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Four-dead-47-injured-in-Ayutthaya-crash-30248157.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-20

Condolences to the families of the deceased. When seeing these Thai stories about the truck cutting in front of the bus to make left turn, you have to wonder about a few things. Seeing Thais drive and "do battle" on the road when another irritates them, you have to wonder if the bus driver was being a wise ass and instead of slowing up to let the truck in , he goosed it up to scare the truck off and be superior for a moment. Second, you could also wonder about the truck driver being a wise ass and expecting the driver to slow up and yield to his superiority. Third, you have to wonder who told the news reporter what happened, and why weren't they quoted? Who were these witnesses - bus passengers or passersby?

Fourth.

Why didn't the truck driver anticipate his left turn in good time and slow down behind the bus rather than try to push in front.

Why,,Why,, Because this is the country where there is NO common sense and NO common sence teached neither at home/ school or anywhere else for that matter and drivers licenses are given to every body without an real driving test on the road,They don't even know the road/traffic rules and sings

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifannoyed.gif

Many of the terrible accidents that happen on the roads here can be blamed at least in part on the horribly ineffective police, and the fabulously incompetent national government, and the relevant traffic and safety "ministries". The lack of effort that is put into both traffic safety, and creating a deterrent that prevents complete idiots like this one who caused this accident, from making really, really bad decisions, is abhorrent. It demonstrates a high degree of indifference on the part of the officials and the government and is a huge shame. If licenses were confiscated, vehicles were confiscated, and massive fines levied for reckless driving, maybe, just maybe some of these dimwits would give a second thought to committing murderous acts like this one. Maybe. You have to start somewhere. The fact that the government is doing next to nothing is quite a statement about the fabulous lack of competence within it.

• Like 1

Why do 120 Bangkok civil servants have to go all the way to Chiang Mai for a seminar?

As I am sure you know, it was "theeo" dressed up as a seminar. This is the norm in the Thai civil service. If they were higher-ups, it would have been an overseas study trip. Chiang Mai in the cool season is the giveaway.

Many posters here actually believe that civil servants are poorly-paid, but when you add in the subsidised or often, free meals, housing, loans, transport, health care, holidays and extra monies they receive, legal or otherwise, they are usually far more well-off than your average Thai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Watch out India, ( number 1), here we come ! We're Number 2 but we try harder !

Maybe you have more current information and/or a different source but according to WHO for 2011 Thailand ranked 6th in the world and India ranked 66th in terms of traffic accident deaths per 100,000 population.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do 120 Bangkok civil servants have to go all the way to Chiang Mai for a seminar?

As I am sure you know, it was "theeo" dressed up as a seminar. This is the norm in the Thai civil service. If they were higher-ups, it would have been an overseas study trip. Chiang Mai in the cool season is the giveaway.

Many posters here actually believe that civil servants are poorly-paid, but when you add in the subsidised or often, free meals, housing, loans, transport, health care, holidays and extra monies they receive, legal or otherwise, they are usually far more well-off than your average Thai.

The same applies to the military as well, especially with those officers now serving as members of the government who are receiving at least double pay, maybe even triple by holding one or more positions.

Condolences to the families of the deceased. When seeing these Thai stories about the truck cutting in front of the bus to make left turn, you have to wonder about a few things. Seeing Thais drive and "do battle" on the road when another irritates them, you have to wonder if the bus driver was being a wise ass and instead of slowing up to let the truck in , he goosed it up to scare the truck off and be superior for a moment. Second, you could also wonder about the truck driver being a wise ass and expecting the driver to slow up and yield to his superiority. Third, you have to wonder who told the news reporter what happened, and why weren't they quoted? Who were these witnesses - bus passengers or passersby?

Fourth.

Why didn't the truck driver anticipate his left turn in good time and slow down behind the bus rather than try to push in front.

Why,,Why,, Because this is the country where there is NO common sense and NO common sence teached neither at home/ school or anywhere else for that matter and drivers licenses are given to every body without an real driving test on the road,They don't even know the road/traffic rules and sings

beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifannoyed.gif

The greater tragedy is the Thai government's total ambivalence to any effective traffic safety programs. They just don't get it. A nation of 'Eloi People' as in H.G. Wells novel-The Time Machine.

I'll say it again, until the traffic police are allowed in mufti cars mingling in with these idiots nothing will change.

After road blocks is a classic example of these simpeltons desire to maim or kill themselves & innocent parties.

Road rage is a killer.

I've had two accidents, both on my CBR 250cc, when idiots suddenly decided to do a left turn, with no signal, while I'm in the motorbike lane, and forcing me into the ditch.

They just don't THINK.

I find the same in my Mulsanne.

I am certain they think they are playing a computer game - but with deadly consequences.

That is why im often on the fast lane with my bike going as fast as other traffic. I know i risk a fine better as risking my life. In the slow lane everyone cuts you off.

Most of the time I'm the same way. 120+ kph is my "average" speed (ok, so 145+ on open highways. lol). But in both accidents, I was doing 60kph, or less, in the motorbike lane, less than a kilometer from my moo ban in anticipation of the turn. Funny, I've been from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, Phayao, Phitsanulok, Chum Phae, Khon Kaen, Tak, Nakon Sawan, Sari Buri, and half a dozen other places on the bike, and the only time I've had accidents is less than a kilometer from my house, doing less than the legal speed limit. lol

It's not funny , it's normal ;

many road accidents arrived when u are less than one km from your house;

everywhere on this earth...because u think u know very well the road; it's so close where u live....and ur attention is wavering....

I came back from Chiang Mai yesterday ; leaving the airport at 2 pm, i arrived in my house in Sakon Nakhon province at 11 pm ;

720 kilometers in 9 hours with two stops for diesel and after for eating. ( pickup Isuzu 3000cc automatic gearbox; never more than 100 km/h ;

the best road is Pitsanulok -- Chatrakan -- Nakon_Thai --Dan_Sai -- Loei -- Nong_Bua_Lamphu -- Udon_Thani -- Sawang Daen Din

beautiful secondary roads ( all roads : 11 -- 1143 -- 2013 -- 203 -- 201 -- 22 ), nearly no traffic and no speedy Gonzales bus drivers .

I went many times in Great Britain when I was a trucker and a coach driver;

would like thai people will drive like english people ; Thinking not only at what they drive but first at who are with them on the roads .( trucks, coaches, cars, motobibes...bicycles and pedestrians )