making an orchid flower again

One year ago we bought an orchid that had a very beautiful burnt orange coloured flower. It was brilliant for a few weeks then died. It lives in a small hanging earthenware pot outside the kitchen. Sorry no photos at present. It has four stems that each end in one, sometimes two long fleshy green leaves.. Despite careful watering and some fertilizer it has shown no signs of flowering again. The plant is quite healthy, but want flowers ! Any advice would be helpful.

My daughter grows indoor orchids in Scotland and they flower continuously. Her comment was that you try too hard. Less water, less food and they stop growing leaves and make flowers instead. She has them in pots but no soil, just some bark and moss.

• Like 1

We have ours in coconut husks that hang outside. They are fertilized every other week or so and after the flowers are gone, cut off the stem to help a new bloom start.

It's one thing I love about living here. Orchids are very cheap. We've got close to 100! LOL I love em.

you could also try moving it to a different spot (some light but not direct sun) - I find orchids are quite place-sensitive and if you find the right spot for them, they do better

Very true - they needs lots of light but no direct sunlight it seems. The only thing that interrupts their growth in Scotland is the shortness of winter days.