D-Day: Motorcycle taxis driving on footpaths to be fined by the police

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The streets are really difficult in some areas to get from point A to point B without using sidewalks going against traffic and this I understand... not like but understand. What drives me crazy is when a motorbike is driving on the sidewalk and going in the same direction as the traffic. Why they not just go on the street as they are going the same direction. They may save a few seconds but endanger those walking.

I am glad to see this law being enforced but think it is only for a few weeks and then back to normal, TIT...

• Like 1

Sometimes they don't have any option other than the sidewalk because they taxi mafia continues to block off large sections of narrow sois. The taxi mafia crackdown has come to nothing, at least in BKK. All talk.

Yes, please come to Sukhumvit Soi 6 Mr Traffic policeman - clearly marked as no parking, constantly blocked by parked taxis with drivers who refuse to use there meters. Consequently motor

cycles use the footpath...

yep nothings changed here,the motor bike taxis dont use the road here at all, just go up and down the pavement, i just come out of Phra khanong post office and nearly got by hit by one, he must have been doing 15 + mph, silly me, i should have looked, left and right as i came out of to P.O.

Great idea !!! Shame nobody gives a T"ss .. just came down the BTS stairs about an hour ago and got clipped by a motorbike then the cheeky Bastard gave me a glaring look after he stopped to look at his bike damage.....

Edited by ScotBkk

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

Ah, thai thinking again. In their and your minds, laws are ok as long as they do not create a problem or a nuisance for me. Then I am in my right to override that law. Apparently some western people do not have any problems adapting the thai custom not to use their brain.

Oh, and pray you won¨t meet me when you ride on the walkway. You won¨t get any further.

Edited by Racin

I got stopped for driving in the middle of the lane last week. I thought my only option now was the footpath.

This always concerns me here, I often drive central to avoid vehicles coming the wrong way and those who enter without looking. But I get buzzed a bit.

Jit Sai & Die! My view is the B100 I lose on every 4th-5th stop is an insurance policy and road tax making my journey safer. I will NOT risk my life to oblige an outdated and poorly designed law

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

So you are an advocate of ignoring law and encouraging anarchy?

There is no right for motorcycles to pass cars or other vehicles in a jam - they are road users and if there is no way past, they are stuck like all other road users.

Encouraging people to illegally - and dangerously - use 'sidewalks' or pavements is not the answer.

When I got my motorcycle license here, I was surprised to see that it was LEGAL for a motorcycle to use the sidewalk. Perhaps it is illegal in other countries, but not in Thailand.

Section 43 (400-1000B)

No driver shall drive the vehicle:

a. while being incompetent to drive

b. while being intoxicated by liquor or other alcoholic drinks

c. in a manner that obstructs the traffic

d. with carelessness or recklessness which may cause danger to persons or property

e. in a manner not normally practiced in driving a vehicle or while unable to see the way in front or at the back or either/both sides clearly enough for safety

f. beyond or on the line dividing traffic lanes, except upon changing lanes, turning or turning around the vehicle

g. on a footpath without sufficient cause, except a baby-carriage or wheel-chair for sick or disabled persons

h. without thinking about the safety or suffering of other persons.

Ah, thai thinking again. In their and your minds, laws are ok as long as they do not create a problem or a nuisance for me. Then I am in my right to override that law. Apparently some western people do not have any problems adapting the thai custom not to use their brain.

Oh, and pray you won¨t meet me when you ride on the walkway. You won¨t get any further.

Big man. Big talk.

I got stopped for driving in the middle of the lane last week. I thought my only option now was the footpath.

You must've been out near Bang Na, that's where I've been done by the BIB looking for some tea money.

Wireless road.. I was driving around a stopped taxi. Oh well, I knew what the real stop was for... To increase both of our negotiation skills and to lighten my wallet.

Sent from my c64

popped down to 7-11 this morning,(Rama 4 / suk intersection) and WOW they were all being good boys and girls. no police around, they were filtering nicely, no probs with that, see, they can do it if they put their minds to it, report back tomorrow. when i get run over, ha ha