D-Day: Motorcycle taxis driving on footpaths to be fined by the police

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

So you are an advocate of ignoring law and encouraging anarchy?

There is no right for motorcycles to pass cars or other vehicles in a jam - they are road users and if there is no way past, they are stuck like all other road users.

Encouraging people to illegally - and dangerously - use 'sidewalks' or pavements is not the answer.

When I got my motorcycle license here, I was surprised to see that it was LEGAL for a motorcycle to use the sidewalk. Perhaps it is illegal in other countries, but not in Thailand.

+1

I also remember reading it being legal , something to do with when the roads are blocked with traffic.

Ignoring the distinct likelihood of this simply going nowhere:

1. Why motorcycle taxi drivers, as opposed to ALL motorcyclists riding on the pavement?
  2. How is it possible to take advantage of a law that doesn't even exist?
  3. Seriously? They expect that Thai members of the public will report any, never mind all, instances of MCs ignoring the law? This given that the problem probably owes more to Thais' predilection, among others, to accommodate illegal riding than to take issue with it.

After dropping me off at my condo, a motorcy taxi has 2 options:

1) Go by the rules, the right way along major congested roads until legal to u-turn, or take a long detour. Arrive back at rank approx. 20min. later.

2) Go the wrong way up the road, or on the footpath. Arrive back at rank approx. 3min. later.

Solution: For dual carriage-ways, provide more regular cut-aways for motorcy only to do u-turn.

I don't agree with them riding on the footpaths.......but, in a way, I understand wai.gif

You understand???? A motorist can't do it to save 20 mins, so why should a motorcyclist?

i live by the rama 4 road - sukhumvit road junction - the cops would have a field day here, when the lights are red and i want to cross the road, i have to look left down the pavement so as not to be run over by 20/30 scooters on the pavement, getting to the front of the queue, for when the lights turn green, well that's a bit of a lie really as, most scooters cross this busy intersection when the light are still on RED. why waste 2 minutes of your life waiting for the lights to change.

• Like 2

"BANGKOK: -- Police arrested more than 100 motorcyclists who rode on pedestrians pavements on the first day of the launch of a crackdown against the illegal practice today."

You have to laugh at the stupidity sometimes. Went to Tukcom in Pattaya and I was going to park on the South side of the road but noticed no parking there.....A helpful policeman indicated I should,ride up onto the footpath outside the K Bank and park there, with about 25 others. !!! Pedestrians being scattered everywhere.

It IS illegal for motorbikes to ride on the footpath and it is dangerous and destroys the pavement. Oh! and by the way it is also illegal for motorbikes to travel the wrong way in one way streets/soi's. Am hoping for the day when that one is enforced also.

No, in some Sois it is legal for a motor bike to go up a one way street against the traffic, it depends on the notice at the end which goes against the traffic. it may be in Thai, and you may see a picture of a motorbike with a red line over it, that means the bike cannot go, if there is no picture of a motorbike, then you can, but TiT, different towns may have different rules.

One road which is in my village is one way, but it does not include motorbikes, I refused to ride against the traffic till my wife pointed the sign out to me.

Too all the knockers out there,

I live Rangnam/Rachapraprop area,big signs up 5,000 baht fine for riding on the footpath, local mototaxis still flaunt the rule, but ride with more consideration to pedestrians which I can accept. Victory Monument is far less congested now the mini busses have been moved on.Today the police were out in force clamping cars parked in Rangnam the traffic flowed with ease, this has been on going on for some months now and finally seeing some results, more than I can say from the previous Govt who just didn't care.

Not sure who to give praise too,BMA or Present Govt but the footpaths in Rangnam had never recovered from from the Red Riots, pavers missing,broken up footpaths from being used as projectiles but the whole Soi has been repaved,drains cleaned,gutters rebuilt to a very very High standard, so Kudos to whoever was responsible.Things are being done, maybe only subtle too the Red supporters but they are slowly whittling away at the problems that the Yingluck Govt neglected for 3 years. Give them a break and judge them after a couple of years.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The last motor cyclist that nearly drove into me was an old farang, bless him, he hadnt a clue what day it was. The senile guy even honked me to move, have a guess what decision i made.

Hope your decision did not involve a machete or similar.biggrin.png

Errr, what about the cops that drive their motorbikes on the sidewalk?

Oh well, another day in Thailand, another 'crackdown'.

And, on another note, this 1979 law is finally going to be enforced in 2014? Only took them 35 years to decide to move on it. Just have to wonder how long this new zeal will last.

Edited by WhizBang

jpeg, on 19 Nov 2014 - 14:21, said:

How about everyone riding on 'sideWALKs'? Parking on them also. Just seize them, load them into pickups and get the selfish idle b4st4rds to pay a BIG fine to get them back. huh.png

Well said. You are 100% correct and l hope this new Govt enforces this. Only problem is to get the police to do what they are paid to do instead of sitting on their fat &lt;deleted&gt;. I watch so many cars go through red lights by 4 - 5 secs. Policeman on patrol does nothing.

A wonderful idea ... civilized ... but does anyone seriously think the police are really going to work? Pull up a chair at any major intersection in the city center and watch the motorists make illegal turns, run red lights, block zebra crossings ... a real show and police (What police?) (Where?) Oh that guy sitting in the AC booth? 55555555 Good headline ... that's all.

• Like 1

How about everyone riding on 'sideWALKs'? Parking on them also. Just seize them, load them into pickups and get the selfish idle b4st4rds to pay a BIG fine to get them back. huh.png

I got stopped for driving in the middle of the lane last week. I thought my only option now was the footpath.

You must've been out near Bang Na, that's where I've been done by the BIB looking for some tea money.

It used to be just in Bangkok where motorcycles were booked for not keeping in the left lane, but I have just ridden from Phuket to Bangkok, and 3 days ago 10 kilometres past Cha-um there were about 15 police either side of the highway stopping all motorcycles not in the left lane. It is totally crazy and dangerous that I have to ride in the left lane on a highway where the speed limit for motorcycles is 110km/h and the left lane has potholes, sand, big puddles of water, tread ripped off trucks from their retreads, vehicles including buses (almost killing me with their smoky exhaust fumes) stopping along the way and I can't legally even move one lane across to pass them without the fear of having money extorted buy the RTP. Which has happened to me on many occasions.

The police that tried to book me said I need to pay him or go to the station and pay there. I told him I didn't like either of the options. I argued and joked with him for about 20 minutes, before he gave up and gave me my licence back and away I went. Another road block 10 kilometres further on and this time I was in the middle lane again and was just waved through.

After that I tried staying in the left lane and had many cars turning left from the middle lane in front of me, having to follow buses and untold amounts of motorcycles heading towards me in the left lane. It then took me 1 hour 45 minutes to travel from the start of the Bangna toll-way to my place in Bangna along all main roads in the service road in the left lane , with all the hazards I encountered earlier and ride the back roads, where if I was allowed on the toll-way it would have taken me about 20 minutes.

If they made Bangkok more motorcycle friendly, then more motorcycles would be on the road, and 1/2 the amount of cars and traffic problems would be not nearly as bad.

And yes, it had always been legal to ride a motorcycle on the footpath when the road was blocked by cars. So it is not as some people state the police are not enforcing the laws that are there because the law permits it. Now it is booking people for doing what has been permitted.

Section 43 (400-1000B)

No driver shall drive the vehicle:

a. while being incompetent to drive

b. while being intoxicated by liquor or other alcoholic drinks

c. in a manner that obstructs the traffic

d. with carelessness or recklessness which may cause danger to persons or property

e. in a manner not normally practiced in driving a vehicle or while unable to see the way in front or at the back or either/both sides clearly enough for safety

f. beyond or on the line dividing traffic lanes, except upon changing lanes, turning or turning around the vehicle

g. on a footpath without sufficient cause, except a baby-carriage or wheel-chair for sick or disabled persons

h. without thinking about the safety or suffering of other persons.

​The sufficient cause would be if the road was obstructed by vehicles.

Edited by aussiebrian
  • Like 1

whistling.gif Personally, I would prefer motorcyclists not ride on the Pavements or Sidewalks, whatever you choose to call them.

I am an old guy, I am limited in my mobility, and I cannot scamper out of the way of someone on a motorcycle who is roaring down the middle of the pavements/ sidewalks/footpaths as easily as I once did any longer.

I have to plan carefully where I walk, and stay out of the way of motorcycles going against the pedestrian traffic.... as for example around Soi 14 or Soi 15 on Sukhumvit Road.

That's nothing, try Ramkamphaeng, they even have slopes (you'd think for wheelchairs but not) on every Soi intersection.

I got stopped for driving in the middle of the lane last week. I thought my only option now was the footpath.

This always concerns me here, I often drive central to avoid vehicles coming the wrong way and those who enter without looking. But I get buzzed a bit.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Honestly, in a lot of situations there isn't much choice. The road system is built so wonky and then limited even more by restrictions like being forced to turn left only at an intersection. I would rather they work on fixing the real problems. If a guy didn't have to ride an extra few kms and make a few dangerous moves, he wouldn't ride on the sidewalk. Its slower and more annoying! (moves like, for example, going a km or so out of the way, crossing all lanes of traffic, often in a short distance to get to a u-turn point, crossing all the lanes to get back to the left again, then passing back to where you started, keep going until the next u-turn and repeat the u-turn thing== and that's if you are lucky, you might need a third u-turn if the intersection you pass is left-turn only. Even worse is when one way streets are involved). What do you think people are going to choose when the choice is between that and 200m on a footpath?

So you are an advocate of ignoring law and encouraging anarchy?

There is no right for motorcycles to pass cars or other vehicles in a jam - they are road users and if there is no way past, they are stuck like all other road users.

Encouraging people to illegally - and dangerously - use 'sidewalks' or pavements is not the answer.

Sorry, but your post and the other posts are missing the point. I didn't say encourage, I didn't say its their right, I didn't say they should be allowed to have short cuts when cars don't. They do it because of the physical reality of the road system in Thailand. If cars could, they would do it too. You can have all the crackdowns you want, but until viable alternatives are found, these things will happen.