Welcome to winter

geronimo

It has arrived in Bkk, a little late this year (Loy Krathong usually hails the arrival). The Thais will bring out their hats and gloves and warm coats and I will start with the lip balm. It is the best season here I think and the only thing that's bad about it is it doesn't last long enough!

Any Thai winter tales out there?

• Like 1

.... and yet the aircon in all office buildings will remain set to 'flash freeze' any living creature.

That's because the average high during "winter" in Bangkok is still 90F.

It's tolerable during the night to leave it off sometimes, but screw that during the day. Up north where the average high is only 80 and the nights get down in to the 50s I can understand never using the air conditioner, it actually gets chilly up there every day. It very rare for it to get at all chilly in Bangkok.

There is no winter in Bangkok, it is just slightly less miserable than the rest of the year. Up north the "winter" weather is just about perfect though.

Up here in Maha Sarakham its beautiful at the moment, still gets quite hot for a few hours in the day but soon cools down on the evening, actually got quite chilly last night!

This is perfect temps for me, really beats me down summer time here so really refreshing the current climates, the dog also loves it laying in the garden on an evening.

Not a fascinating tale... just a few impressions.

No aircon for weeks now.

Yesterday evening: first day when I closed all windows in the evening to keep the nightly cold spell out.

First night since last "winter" sleeping with closed windows (no aircon), covered with a blanket.

Walking the dogs in the morning, wearing a T-shirt plus shirt plus windbreaker.

Wearing socks in the house for most of the day.

Western part of Khon Kaen province.

MissFarmGirl insists the boys wear their socks now.

113_day_lg.png

It's winter you know ...

Top of 32C today (and the rest of the week) ... whistling.gif

I always wear socks,long trousers and a shirt, as any Englishman should, must keep up appearances, now where is my tie !!

• Like 1

No aircon for weeks now.

Yesterday evening: first day when I closed all windows in the evening to keep the nightly cold spell out.

First night since last "winter" sleeping with closed windows (no aircon), covered with a blanket.

Wimp.

I only wear socks when I am wearing my steel toecap rubber boots when I cut the scrub down at 6.30 most mornings. A great time to be out and about.

I was drinking my morning coffee at 6 am while reading my emails just wearing my shorts and I looked around to see my son eating his breakfast before the school bus came wrapped up in a blanket (which he generously shared with his Mum).

He went off to school, I went out to cut the grass and shrubs and my wife went back to bed uder the quilt.

Just be careful. Especially if you have older people in the house. Last year, one of my friends back home reminded me that homes that cannot stay above 20 C/68 F are considered unlivable. And it gets much colder than that in some parts of TH at night.

• Like 1

I have a hard time keeping a straight face!

The last few mornings have got down to 21c ( 70f ) and you would think the world is coming to an end in Thailand.

Everyone is bundled up in coats..all day even when it warms to 80f, and complaining about the "cold" weather!

Teachers at my daughter's school have been reminding children ( and teachers?)That even though it is " so cold" they still need too take showers!

The day I left California 3 years ago, it was 12c ( 9f ).

Now, to me, that is cold!

70 f is a warm day after a real winter in northern climes.

In my book, it isn't close to cold if you can't see your breath and there is no ice on the ground!

I guess it is all a mater of what you are use to.

post-147745-0-23180200-1416562536_thumb.

• Like 1

No aircon for weeks now.

Wimp.

I only wear socks when I am wearing my steel toecap rubber boots when I cut the scrub down at 6.30 most mornings. A great time to be out and about.

I was drinking my morning coffee at 6 am while reading my emails just wearing my shorts and I looked around to see my son eating his breakfast before the school bus came wrapped up in a blanket (which he generously shared with his Mum).

He went off to school, I went out to cut the grass and shrubs and my wife went back to bed uder the quilt.

We have some things in common except my day begins at 3am.

• Like 1

No aircon for weeks now.

Wimp.

We have some things in common except my day begins at 3am.

You must be a farmer then. 19C again this morning.

Just be careful. Especially if you have older people in the house. Last year, one of my friends back home reminded me that homes that cannot stay above 20 C/68 F are considered unlivable. And it gets much colder than that in some parts of TH at night.

I am 70 and I am enjoying the cool time. Because we live in rural Thailand, surrounded by fields and trees there is very little concrete to absorb the heat and radiate it in the cool time, unlike BKK for example. Even in the afternoons when it gets warm that is all it is, warm around 30C.

• Like 1