Phuket officials say tourists may bring their own umbrellas to the beach

webfact

Bring your own umbrella is okay – officials
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1416398146_1-org.jpg
Officials say tourists may bring their own umbrellas to the beach.

PHUKET: Officials announced yesterday (November 19) that tourists may bring their own personal umbrellas to the beach.

Vice-Governor Jamroen Tipayapongtada and the Phuket police commander made their remarks after a Swedish family were recently asked to remove their umbrellas from the beach.

V/Gov Jamroen told The Phuket News, “I don’t have any complaints to be honest, it is their right to use an umbrella and lay on the beach.”

“In my opinion, if every beach had a specific area for vendors to rent out umbrellas and mattresses, it would really help them [the vendors] out.

“It would be a good opportunity for them. But, I would need to talk with the Phuket Land department first, then I’ll know what the options are.”

Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit confirmed to The Phuket News, “I heard about the tourists who were recently asked to remove their umbrellas. If the police were to arrest the tourists, it would be silly.

“I went to Karon Beach to see what was going on, but I didn’t see anything. I can confirm that tourists may use their own personal umbrellas on the beach and they will not be arrested!”

After meeting with Governor Nisit Jansomwong, Maj Gen Patchara said he planned to hold a press conference to make the media aware of the situation.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/bring-your-own-umbrella-is-okay-officials-49731.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-20

As beaches are public property, there is nothing to stop a tourist taking an umbrella, deckchair or whatever he or she likes for their own personal use. Personally, I'd rather hire a table and a few deckchairs for a few baht a day than lug stuff around in this heat. But each to his/her own. Surely the sensible answer is to allocate specific areas for vendors and their patrons and leave the rest of the beach free for people to use their own stuff if they wish. Or is this just too darn simple for Thai administrators to manage?

the beach area should remain open and free to all - no specific areas for anything

If vendors (off the beach) want to provide/rent equipment for people going onto the beach then let them do that but not from the beach itself - the rental facilities should be provided by local authority or under licence

100% of the beach should remain open and free for everyone to use and sit where they please

plus those old wooden deck chairs are all but useless

In Pattaya (Jomtien) the chair/umbrella areas were reduced in size shortly after they were removed from Phuket. Now they are back to their original size....all the way down to the water

time for Pattaya to get the Phuket treatment, it should be obvious by now that all local officials did was talk about it and let on they did something

Ooooooo......Gosh.........Really??

So i can bring my own unbrella, and "not get arrested"? Oh...your so kind to us farangs.

Can i also have a note to show the "beach mafia" saying it is okay to have "my own umbrella", so that way they know not to beat the sheeit out of me by not using there umbrellas?

How about my monitor bracelet, and my safe zone?

Because, we all know....farangs cause more trouble, and when they get "murdered

the officials dont want their dead bodies cluddering up their beaches.