Does Laser Whitening Of Teeth Work?

boppia

I'm just curious with your experience with laser whitening of teeth. I tried it once at Mahboonkrong and didn't notice much of a change My teeth weren't that discolored to begin with. Does it take several treatments to actually get your teeth white. Can anyone say that the process made their teeth white? How many times did you have to go to get good results? What other ways have you used to whiten your teeth?

I have not had it done, but I know of friends both here in Thailand and back in the U.K. who have had it done.

I remember one girl in the U.K. who took out a loan (with the dental company 500 quid) and when she showed me the results I was embarrassed. Hardly any change: just a 'bit' whiter.

Over here in Thailand it is a lot cheaper (I heard 12-15 thousand baht): but again I witnessed the results: poor!

I have read the only way to get really white teeth is to pay for them to be veneered. But I don't know any details, but I heard Americans do this for large sums of money.

You can get veneers in Thailand, also expensive, but much cheaper than in the West. I tried the laser whitening and there was a very dramatic difference, but it looked artificial. It is reverting back over time because of coffee, wine drinking, and time. Depending on your teeth, they sometimes can't get all the way to the gum line (otherwise damage and pain) so results are not perfect. I don't feel ripped off, but I won't be in any hurry to redo it when it all fades either.

If you have staining from antibiotics, it won't help at all.

A detail that might be interesting to notice: No whitening products using lasers currently are on the ADA (American Dental Association) list of Accepted products: ADA's FAQ on Tooth Whitening Treatments.

Wikipedia's teeth bleaching article is interesting as well, and provides a link to a nice guide on teeth whitening.

Seems laser is not always the best solution.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm just curious with your experience with laser whitening of teeth. I tried it once at Mahboonkrong and didn't notice much of a change My teeth weren't that discolored to begin with. Does it take several treatments to actually get your teeth white. Can anyone say that the process made their teeth white? How many times did you have to go to get good results? What other ways have you used to whiten your teeth?

No more feedback?

After reading a lot it seems that many people feel pain, and the result isn't so good anyway, so I'm not sure it's worth doing.

The cheapest laser whitening in some good places in Bangkok seems to be 10000 thb, somebody tried it at this price?

Thanks!

Frenchfarangfries, I've seen lower prices than that around BKK but not in the popular downtown areas. Try a place outside of the tourist traps for a better price. But does it even work? I think to really see results you need to go many times. The adverts are full of bull.

Seems like a lot of these medical/costmetic treatmetns that show promise really don't live up to their hype. I don't mean the ridiculous stuff either. The whitening of teeth via laser, propencia for male pattern baldness, all the weightloss drugs, the cholesterol drugs, laser surgery on eyes. Does anything work? Is aspirin even good for anything anymore?

For laser, you only need only ONE treatment and I believe it does work. Is it perfect? No. Is it worth the money? Up2U. And if you drink coffee, tea, or smoke, of course you will start the staining process again.

The more conservative and certainly safe method is to have a dentist make customized bleaching trays for you. These are used several times at home, and, again, it does work.

Edited by Thaiquila

The more conservative and certainly safe method is to have a dentist make customized bleaching trays for you. These are used several times at home, and, again, it does work.

I don't think its several times. I think its something like you have to wear the bleaching tray while you sleep every night for 3 weeks. :o

I had it done recently at Bumrangrad Hospital.. After the procedure(no pain) the dentist said to me, "well it really didn't work for you" I was shocked that during our question and answer the dentist didn't tell me that sometimes the procedure doesn't do much. I did notice a SLIGHT whitening of two lower teeth. But after paying $497 USD. I was very disappointed. My suggestion would be to as the dentist for an evaluation, and if it's not satisfactory then some discount should be in order..

Regards, BD

I don't think its several times. I think its something like you have to wear the bleaching tray while you sleep every night for 3 weeks. :o

Yes, like I said, several times to get a result. Unlike laser which is one time (and then you can do it again later when the stains come back, could be some years if you don't indulge in staining products). I agree that if you do laser and it doesn't work, to forget it. There are certain kinds of stains it will never help with, like staining from antiobiotics. I don't think dentists are ripping off by selling these treatments, and I don't think you are due a discount if it doesn't work. Would you get a discount on unsuccessful surgery? They did the work, you take your chances. Or don't.

One thing you can do is ask the dentist if your stains are from antibiotics. A good dentist can tell you.

As far as the pain, I think that part is overblown.

I did laser, had some pain during and the next day (no big deal), had good results, a year later the coloration is gradually coming back because I drink lots of coffee (not to mention red wine) but bottom line, I do not feel ripped off. But I probably wouldn't do it again. I may go for the bleaching trays because with those you can use them again and again whenever you want a freshening up (the trays aren't that cheap either, but once you have them, all you need for future treatments is the bleaching solution).

Edited by Thaiquila

I did the bleaching & got excellent results. It has several advantages over the laser whitening:

1) You can copntrol the resuklts (i.e. you do it until you have gotten the teeth as white as you want them to be, then you stop). With laser you cannot.

2) For the above reason, it is best for people who have crowns because the crown won't whiten so you need to control how far you whiten the surrounding teeth, othwerwise the crowned tooth will look darker than the rest.

3) It is painless.

It does take longer, but it's not bad; mayve 10-15 days, less if only need to whiten a little.

Initial cost is about the same as laser but once you have the custom trays, repeat treatments are very cheap...and repeat treatments are necessary from tiem to time, especially if you drink coffee or tea.

I agree the trays are a great option for many. I was told by my dentist that the trays can never get your teeth as white as the lasers though. Just as there are shades of grey, there are always shades of white.

And the time difference is not trivial. Lasers treatment takes less than an hour. And I really do think people are exagerrating the pain aspect.

Edited by Thaiquila

• 3 weeks later...

I had the laser teeth whitening done a few years ago. Teeth turned out excellent. But, I had 2 problems. If you continue drinking coffee, tea, pepsi or coke. Your teeth will be back too the original stained color. Now, when I eat something hot or cold my teeth are a lot more sensitive and stings a bit.

The lay person thinks whitening with a "laser" means the laser is cutting off the stain. What is really happening is the laser heats the material on the teeth, (usually sodium hyperchlorite 30%) and it becomes more oxidating.

Here's the deal: Whitening works for some, others no. Extrinsic (outside) stains will respond better. Intrinsic (inside) stains won't. If mum took antibiotics or you had them very young, we often see shades and colors, many times yellowish inside the teeth. No amount of bleaching will get rid of that. We normally veneer or crown those. Some areas have more minerals in the water. Then there is fluoride, a 2 edged sword. Too much and you get mottling, intrinsic.

If you have crowns or plastic (composite) fillings you can't change the shade. The normal deal is to tell the patient and you bleach to satisfaction, wait 2 weeks, then change the plastic fillings. You need to wait because the bond won't be as strong if you immediately re-do the fillings after bleaching.

As said, if you drink coffee, tea, cokes, etc. Well, bleaching dries the teeth, they will "suck up" moisture. Whatever shade that may be.

I always recommend trying the crest strips at home. If you see some results, then go for the professional kit. But, I think trays made for you and at home applications work the best.

My 2 baht worth from 12 years experience.

BJ :o

Beside all of the other problems listed above .... as a dental supply salesman, my general advice to anyone interested in having your teeth bleached is:

If your natural teeth have any type of a yellowish appearance --- go for it, you will have great results.

If your natural teeth have any type of a grayish appearance --- forget it, poor to no results. Best to have veneers or crowns if you want whiter teeth. Trying to bleach gray teeth will end in frustration.

As said above, lasers heat whatever liquid is used for a bleaching solution. Heat is a killer for the pulp of a tooth - the live part of the tooth. Same for systems using UV lights. Need to be very careful.

A major research center ( CRA ) has stated the solutions are effective with or without a UV light source. Don't know about laser systems.

Yellowish teeth ..... 30 minutes a day for about 7 days with custom trays and 9% Hydrogen Peroxide solutions .... from a normal dental office. Great results. Stop when you are pleased or continue until you disappear. Touch-ups as needed ... Tooth sensitivity greatly reduced in newest matreial.

9% Hydrogen Peroxide = 30% Carbamide Peroxide .... for home bleaching

Up to 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, with or without a light source, for in-office bleaching, The 1 hour treatment.

There are other variations. The above is the most common in the USA.

wallyc

Beside all of the other problems listed above .... as a dental supply salesman, my general advice to anyone interested in having your teeth bleached is:

If your natural teeth have any type of a yellowish appearance --- go for it, you will have great results.

If your natural teeth have any type of a grayish appearance --- forget it, poor to no results. Best to have veneers or crowns if you want whiter teeth. Trying to bleach gray teeth will end in frustration.

As said above, lasers heat whatever liquid is used for a bleaching solution. Heat is a killer for the pulp of a tooth - the live part of the tooth. Same for systems using UV lights. Need to be very careful.

A major research center ( CRA ) has stated the solutions are effective with or without a UV light source. Don't know about laser systems.

Yellowish teeth ..... 30 minutes a day for about 7 days with custom trays and 9% Hydrogen Peroxide solutions .... from a normal dental office. Great results. Stop when you are pleased or continue until you disappear. Touch-ups as needed ... Tooth sensitivity greatly reduced in newest matreial.

9% Hydrogen Peroxide = 30% Carbamide Peroxide .... for home bleaching

Up to 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, with or without a light source, for in-office bleaching, The 1 hour treatment.

There are other variations. The above is the most common in the USA.

wallyc

Hi,

They sell a kit at BOOTS but it's not written if it's 9% peroxide, so did somebody try it already ?

Or which one and where did you buy it in Thailand?

There is also one kit sold with a brush and you have to paint the teeth, is it better not to get peroxide on the gum?

Thanks.

Had my teeth "laser whitened" here:

http://www.bangkoksmiledental.com/

It was two years ago and the cost was about 12,000 from what I remember...Excellent service, dentist was trained at Boston University.

Before the procedure took place, a "tooth chart" showing various degrees of "whiteness" was placed next to my teeth in a mirror so I could see the colour before and after...I think "A" being the whitest up to about "K"...

My front teeth were "A" anyway..and my "incisors" or is it "canines" ? were a "C"...Worth noting that even "A" isn't particularly "white"...The "hollywood smile" look is ONLY achieved by veneers...

Slight discomfort whilst the procedure took place, sensitive for a day after. Excellent results. :D

But now less "white" than before due to copious amounts of tea drinking.. :o

If you have teeth that are stained from smoking etc I would definitely recommend it...My friend's teeth, who had very "yellow" canines, were noticeably whiter...

Would I have i done again...Maybe..

Hope this helps...

Edited by RAZZELL

• 2 weeks later...