Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Some reports say immigration were sympathetic and helped by squeezing in an extension stamp into a gap usually not big enough .. My local office weren't interested in the receipt from Trendy, they said wasn't their problem.

No, your not going to avoid an overstay penalty with this info.

What visa are you on ?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Getting an online v-card is very easy if you have Internet banking and a Thai bank account .. Alternately, just write a load of numbers down and an autograph so that trendy accept the form.

Then at the beginning of next week you will get an email, followed shortly by a phone call from the revenue dept ( people with sense ) you email your mum the number and the case number, she pays it for you - it's a direct line to the department, no waiting, no additional call charges.

what's a v card...visa card?.....i don't have internet banking...and time's running out...im just going to get my friend to sign my mums signature (so the hand writing looks different) and use her english debit card..im guessing this is better than leaving it blank or is it ok to leave blank?

The v-card is a description of the Kasikorn K-Web Shopping Virtual Credit Card.

You don't have time to mess around - just do it. - open a Kasikorn bog standard savings account and get internet banking, then you can automatically apply for this virtual credit card which is locked to your savings account and get the 16 digit code and expiry date; forget the rest.

I really don't think it's a good idea to forge a signature on a passport document - most inadvisable..

Or, there's nothing to prevent you sending the payment document to your Mum via email/fax for her to send back to you the same way.

i had my appointment today.i went down there for my 8.50 am meeting as stated on my e mail with my copy of the email i was sent.(which they didnt even look at).i was seen within 5 minutes..i was told it would take betwwen 6-12 weeks..i told the lady that after 6 weeks i would be overstayed.she told me to take my letter and reciept to immigration..she didnt say if this would aboid my aoverstay fine ...has anyone done this and if so have immigration been kind to them and not charged them overstay?..after all it's not our fault the whole system is a cluster <deleted>.

The desk clerk at trendy will have almost certainly known less about Thai Immigration procedures that you do.

No, nobody to date has reported being excused an overstay fine due to HMPO's incompetence and delay.

Thai Immigration are aware of the problem and will be sympathetic, but that 's about as far as it will go.

Edited by digitalchromakey

i had my appointment today.i went down there for my 8.50 am meeting as stated on my e mail with my copy of the email i was sent.(which they didnt even look at).i was seen within 5 minutes..i was told it would take betwwen 6-12 weeks..i told the lady that after 6 weeks i would be overstayed.she told me to take my letter and reciept to immigration..she didnt say if this would aboid my aoverstay fine ...has anyone done this and if so have immigration been kind to them and not charged them overstay?..after all it's not our fault the whole system is a cluster <deleted>.

oh yeah..i forgot to mention...i went in at 8.50 and was out by 9.10...so it was really quick..hopefully this is a taste of things to come...i can only hope....always look on the bright side of life..(whistle whistle)

trendy always have been quick, but then basically they only count your papers and issue a receipt.

Leads one to wonder as to why it takes so long to get an appointment.

• Like 1

So many "hoops" to jump through just to satisfy the Embassy officialdom.

re my posts on another thread of yours .. the British Embassy are no longer involved in/responsible for British passport issue.

Indeed, it's actually a case of so many "hoops" to jump through just to satisfy the HMPO incompetence!

• Like 2

Yes I sympathetic for those who had to pay 30 quid (1500 THB approx.) for fast- tracking in the UK (not an available option for us mere third class citizens overseas).

But how are they going to compensate overseas passport applicants for all the stress, loss of money, (travel, hotels, overstay fines, etc.) and general inconvenience caused by this ill-judged debacle which then turned into such a monumental fiasco?

Seeing as the UK government blatantly refuse to increase our state pensions each year and are now threatening to withdraw our personal tax allowances as well, fat chance of this happening, I fear!

Yes I sympathetic for those who had to pay 30 quid (1500 THB approx.) for fast- tracking in the UK (not an available option for us mere third class citizens overseas).

But how are they going to compensate overseas passport applicants for all the stress, loss of money, (travel, hotels, overstay fines, etc.) and general inconvenience caused by this ill-judged debacle which then turned into such a monumental fiasco?

IMO If they refund the domestic market they'll hardly be able to refuse the remainder.

• Like 1

IMO If they refund the domestic market they'll hardly be able to refuse the remainder.

I've thought about claiming a refund, but I bet I'd no doubt end up stressed out and ironically out of pocket. Being philosophical, it reminds me of why I came here in the first place and why I'm so happy to be rid of the country I served for 22 years! My brother's visiting Thailand right now and he's really looking forward to going back for another English winter...NOT 555. Edited by watso63
  • Like 2

I waited 5 weeks for my renewal to come back here in Malaysia. Reasonably happy at first given the outrageously length of time many people had to wait prior to them pulling out the stops to try and fix the shambles. Less happy now though, almost two weeks on and still no sign of my old passport (which contains my residence visa), rendering the new passport next to useless. Mailed them God knows how many times asking them for tracking numbers for the courier service that I had to pay for and got three different replies about the expected wait times for return of supporting documents: 7-10 days, 10-14 days, whenever they get here. I guess when I mail them at 14 days it'll go to 14-21 days. And they have never provided the tracking number.

Way to manage performance, set increasingly low targets, fail to meet them then lower them further!

Complete disgrace!!

• Like 2

Thank God I didn't have to go through all this rigmarole. I went back to the UK in July for my mum's 96th birthday. She lives in Newcastle, near the Durham passport office.

Three weeks before I was going to be in Newcastle, I got my brother to call and make an appointment for me on a specific date so I could renew my passport and pay in person. They won't make an appointment more than 3 weeks before. He actually called them 4 weeks before and they told him to call back a week later.

Dead easy - take old passport, £137 in cash, (I wanted a 48-page jobbie), the completed form (I picked a couple up at a post office when there) and two photos (which was a problem later because I had them done here in Thailand - big mistake, see below). As I still look like I did 4 years ago, I didn't have to get the photos certified.

I had a 10 am appointment and was told to arrive 15 minutes early. I did and the office was packed. Four years ago when I did the same, it was empty, but the monstrous mess they are in now has made it bad, even in their regional offices.

There was a notice on the wall saying that I would be guaranteed to be seen within 20 minutes of my appointment time. Ha! I was seen FIFTY minutes late. The the photo problem raised its head - 'Have you have these photos taken abroad?' - 'Yes' - 'Sorry, I can't accept them, they're on matt paper, not glossy'. Great, trust the Thai photo shop to mess them up.

'You'll have to go to the photo booth in the corner over there and get new ones (4 for £5 - rip-off, I paid 100 baht for 12 (useless ones) here) - and I should really send you to the back of the queue'.

'Don't even think about it' I said. 'You promise to see people within 20 minutes of their appointment and you saw me at 10.50. It's now 10.55 and I am not waiting. Is there a manager somewhere?'.

She saw my determined look and told me to be quick, which mercifully I was because no-one else was waiting. When I left the booth there were two people waiting already. However, the photo booth was bad, because there were a lot of instructions given by a recording which was at very low volume and the background chatter from the waiting crowd made it difficult to hear.

Anyway, once she'd got some decent photos it went like clockwork, out in 5 minutes with apologies for lateness following me - they must have some targets for waiting times.

Told to come back at 3.15 pm, arrived at 2.30 expecting to wait. Was asked to show my receipt thing, and was immediately handed my new passport 45 minutes early!

Apart from the hiccup with photos, all dead easy. Note to self - if doing this again, don't get the photos done in Thailand, wait until I get back to the UK. That goes for any other Brits doing the same thing ...

I would think that in virtually 100 percent of overseas applications the photos are taken abroad.

Mine are glossy, more by good luck than judgement.

Perhaps I have missed your point; as Mister Fixit was in fact applying in the UK smile.png .

All passport applications are handled by the HMPO so "taken abroad" shouldn't come into it, unless they consider photographic paper to be glossy.

I am fairly certain I have bought matt photographic paper in the UK.

Thank God I didn't have to go through all this rigmarole. I went back to the UK in July for my mum's 96th birthday. She lives in Newcastle, near the Durham passport office.

Three weeks before I was going to be in Newcastle, I got my brother to call and make an appointment for me on a specific date so I could renew my passport and pay in person. They won't make an appointment more than 3 weeks before. He actually called them 4 weeks before and they told him to call back a week later.

Dead easy - take old passport, £137 in cash, (I wanted a 48-page jobbie), the completed form (I picked a couple up at a post office when there) and two photos (which was a problem later because I had them done here in Thailand - big mistake, see below). As I still look like I did 4 years ago, I didn't have to get the photos certified.

I had a 10 am appointment and was told to arrive 15 minutes early. I did and the office was packed. Four years ago when I did the same, it was empty, but the monstrous mess they are in now has made it bad, even in their regional offices.

There was a notice on the wall saying that I would be guaranteed to be seen within 20 minutes of my appointment time. Ha! I was seen FIFTY minutes late. The the photo problem raised its head - 'Have you have these photos taken abroad?' - 'Yes' - 'Sorry, I can't accept them, they're on matt paper, not glossy'. Great, trust the Thai photo shop to mess them up.

'You'll have to go to the photo booth in the corner over there and get new ones (4 for £5 - rip-off, I paid 100 baht for 12 (useless ones) here) - and I should really send you to the back of the queue'.

'Don't even think about it' I said. 'You promise to see people within 20 minutes of their appointment and you saw me at 10.50. It's now 10.55 and I am not waiting. Is there a manager somewhere?'.

She saw my determined look and told me to be quick, which mercifully I was because no-one else was waiting. When I left the booth there were two people waiting already. However, the photo booth was bad, because there were a lot of instructions given by a recording which was at very low volume and the background chatter from the waiting crowd made it difficult to hear.

Anyway, once she'd got some decent photos it went like clockwork, out in 5 minutes with apologies for lateness following me - they must have some targets for waiting times.

Told to come back at 3.15 pm, arrived at 2.30 expecting to wait. Was asked to show my receipt thing, and was immediately handed my new passport 45 minutes early!

Apart from the hiccup with photos, all dead easy. Note to self - if doing this again, don't get the photos done in Thailand, wait until I get back to the UK. That goes for any other Brits doing the same thing ...

I would think that in virtually 100 percent of overseas applications the photos are taken abroad.

Mine are glossy, more by good luck than judgement.

Perhaps I have missed your point; as Mister Fixit was in fact applying in the UK smile.png .

All passport applications are handled by the HMPO so "taken abroad" shouldn't come into it, unless they consider photographic paper to be glossy.

I am fairly certain I have bought matt photographic paper in the UK.

Also, don't print the photographs yourself. About 5 years ago, I had a UK passport renewal delayed when the photos I submitted were rejected despite being taken with a 8 megapixel digital camera and printed with highest resolution on 'premium' photo paper. They had no issues with the size and background colour, just the medium and the temporary rejection specifically mentioned that home-made photos were unacceptable. I eventually had the original graphic file reprinted on 'professional' paper at a local branch of Jessops and these were accepted.

Edited by NanLaew

What is needed for someone to collect your new passport for You..Any Probs, or is the form they gave you all the collector needs.?.Wife going for Friend on Monday. Thanks in advance

Interesting one.

trendy say you can do it, HMPO say you can't.

Your wife will probably need:

1) Documentation from trendy.

2) Authorisation letter from the applicant explaining why they cannot attend in person.

3) Old passport from applicant (they want to clip the corners to cancel it)..

4) Photo ID

Let us know how it goes, is this the passport for you elderly British friend?.

What is needed for someone to collect your new passport for You..Any Probs, or is the form they gave you all the collector needs.?.Wife going for Friend on Monday. Thanks in advance

Interesting one.

trendy say you can do it, HMPO say you can't.

Your wife will probably need:

1) Documentation from trendy.

2) Authorisation letter from the applicant explaining why they cannot attend in person.

3) Old passport from applicant (they want to clip the corners to cancel it)..

4) Photo ID

Let us know how it goes, is this the passport for you elderly British friend?.

'

Good luck AoP.

Yes, she has a signed letter from the Old Boy, his old P/port,and the DHL Form from when she went in with him.Shes rather confident she can do it. Me, well im not so sure.Thanks.Let you know result Monday

My wife collected mine without a problem. Not sure what you mean by DHL form but will need the original receipt from Trendy as well as authorisation and the old passport.

The Form they give U has a DHL No stapled to it. Made me smile about reason for not going youtself. Well, hes got Rhumatoid something. It cost him 3000Bht Airfair, 2000 taxis,1650 Hotel, plus the P/port so hes not wanting to double the Bill if Mrs Pop can Pop in. Brits dont get a fair pension anyway to top it off.....Did You Lot win the War by the way.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Is it possible to get additional pages added to 32 page UK passport. I have 6 pages left and 2 years, wish to travel a bit, if not

please advise.

Thanks in advance

nope.... they stopped that many many moon's ago, when they still issued the "black" British PP, never could add pages to the British "EU" passport...

• Like 1

The Form they give U has a DHL No stapled to it. Made me smile about reason for not going youtself. Well, hes got Rhumatoid something. It cost him 3000Bht Airfair, 2000 taxis,1650 Hotel, plus the P/port so hes not wanting to double the Bill if Mrs Pop can Pop in. Brits dont get a fair pension anyway to top it off.....Did You Lot win the War by the way.biggrin.png

That must be new or they forgot. All that was on the slip stapled to mine was the Tel number for the helpline. I went in mid May.

I just said I was unable to get to the office, and I am only about an hour away, the reason is not really any of their concern.

Hi , can anybody recommend an hotel in Bangkok close to the Trendy building that is clean and not expensive.

The Miami is right next door to Trendy. I had stayed there a couple of times before I ever heard of Trendy. It is about 900 baht, fairly basic but reasonably clean.

Hi , can anybody recommend an hotel in Bangkok close to the Trendy building that is clean and not expensive.

The Miami is right next door to Trendy. I had stayed there a couple of times before I ever heard of Trendy. It is about 900 baht, fairly basic but reasonably clean.

A bit more expensive at 1,750 Baht but you can't get much closer than the Ambassador. iCheck Inn is about 1,300 baht on Agoda.