Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Just a note of warning on photos for UK passport applications.I got an email today from the UK passport people in Liverpool.
It advised me that the photographs I had supplied were not suitable and
they asked me to send replacements.They failed on two counts--my eyes could not
be seen and my face had some expression not allowed--This latter was, in my view, on looking at
copies, simply a pleasant.not-in-pain look--certainly not a teeth flashing smile,not even a little grin
or even a smirk--so beware chaps, this may be the Land of Smiles but remember where you came from.The eye thing is reflection. from spectacles-- so get the photo person to do a bit of

Photoshopping or similar if necessary.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a note of warning on photos for UK passport applications.I got an email today from the UK passport people in Liverpool.
be seen and my face had some expression not allowed--This latter was, in my view, on looking at
copies, simply a pleasant.not-in-pain look--certainly not a teeth flashing smile,not even a little grin
or even a smirk--so beware chaps, this may be the Land of Smiles but remember where you came from.The eye thing is reflection. from spectacles-- so get the photo person to do a bit of

You can't wear spectacles.

Then he told me he could lose my paperwork and no charges or record,so i told him i wanted to see it done in front of me.So then he comes back with my little file of papers and tells me ok it 100,000 baht. My words where this i now have money so for 28,000 baht i can fly back to UK calling his bluff,and it seemed to work. he then said ok but you no come back for 1 year so then i said 30,000 baht he went to 70,000 baht i went to 40,000 baht and he said 50,000 baht so i agreed.on the condition that i gave him the money when i was outside the IDC. I was then shown into the main office where my papers where shreaded and my file deleted of the system, and then i was walked very friendly to the gate we shook hands as i passed him the 50,000 baht and i was free.

I think you've been had, because he could not have blacklisted you. You've been overstaying less than three months, but even if longer, the rules have not been approved yet.

Yes you can ..

I did mine with specs on, and they were accepted. I looked through the paperwork and there is nothing to say that you must remove them. I wear them all the time, so I just presumed that you had to have your photos with them and they have been accepted for the past 25 years. However, if you want to use the auto barriers then maybe you should take them off.

No, theres nothing to say that you should remove your specs - but there is a line about that the photos should not be computer enhanced in any way.

You can get away with no reflection by using a decent studio with a high ceiling and a patient, helpful photographer. Its the Thai way to put the soft boxes in your face to blast yourself white, then fill in the eyes after your wrinkles have been smoothed. It took me a couple of attempts before I found a photographer that understood, as its a totally alien concept.

Another way is to have anti-reflective coating on your specs.

Its the eyes that are the important thing - for facial mapping to allow you to pass the automatic gates.

Edited by recom273

Then he told me he could lose my paperwork and no charges or record,so i told him i wanted to see it done in front of me.So then he comes back with my little file of papers and tells me ok it 100,000 baht. My words where this i now have money so for 28,000 baht i can fly back to UK calling his bluff,and it seemed to work. he then said ok but you no come back for 1 year so then i said 30,000 baht he went to 70,000 baht i went to 40,000 baht and he said 50,000 baht so i agreed.on the condition that i gave him the money when i was outside the IDC. I was then shown into the main office where my papers where shreaded and my file deleted of the system, and then i was walked very friendly to the gate we shook hands as i passed him the 50,000 baht and i was free.

I think you've been had, because he could not have blacklisted you. You've been overstaying less than three months, but even if longer, the rules have not been approved yet.

I was thinking the same .. the thing is, its done. You were in a hole, you dug yourself out the best you could at the time. Im glad you are on your way to being sorted.

I met a guy who was wandering around my neighbourhood, looking for a cheap place to rent, I gave him my number, the next thing i get a phone call from the police, he's trying to jump off a road bridge, they took his passport, no visa - maybe 4-6 months expired, i forget.

He was taken away to court, some Thais felt sorry for him, and managed to organise some legal help - the guy ended up paying 10K after a week of p+**sing everyone off in the IDC, after which he was taken to the Malay border, then returned on a 30 visa-exempt then disappeared again, mumbling something about Cambodia.

So, looks like the immigration boss smelt the fear and saw his chance.

• Like 1

You can get away with no reflection by using a decent studio with a high ceiling and a patient, helpful photographer. Its the Thai way to put the soft boxes in your face to blast yourself white, then fill in the eyes after your wrinkles have been smoothed. It took me a couple of attempts before I found a photographer that understood, as its a totally alien concept.

This sounds to me uncomfortably like photoshopping which, as already said, is a definite no-no!

Another way is to have anti-reflective coating on your specs.

But you do need to ensure that the lenses in your specs (and any anti-reflective coating) are not tinted in any way

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Well here is some more information i would like to share with everybody.. I was sent my Embassy letter via email they just scanned it as i requested taken around a day to be done ..

Next it has taken just over a week for supporting documents to come back to trendy house .. Am not best pleased with the whole service we have been given and have made my voice known to people higher up the ladder about everything even how vfs global deal with everything abroad .. It also amazes me how they sign for stuff so important and where some security flaws could be exploited ...

I will keep people posted with how things come on .

Edited by NickyBurma
  • Like 1

This sounds to me uncomfortably like photoshopping which, as already said, is a definite no-no!

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Exactly, I would advise anyone who is having photos done here to just print off the directions, wait around and watch, to make sure the dimensions / proportions are correct. On my first attempt, I took the photos home, measured them up, and were 2-3mm out. I went back to the shop to explain about the slight reflection and my forehead had been noticeably ironed out - I explained - NO PHOTOSHOP - she said she understood, then pulled up photoshop and removed reflection from my specs.

When I explained the reason, she was confused and replied "you have to use the passport for many years and many people will see it, it should be beautiful"

Yes you can ..

I did mine with specs on, and they were accepted. I looked through the paperwork and there is nothing to say that you must remove them. I wear them all the time, so I just presumed that you had to have your photos with them and they have been accepted for the past 25 years. However, if you want to use the auto barriers then maybe you should take them off.

Unless, of course, you are supremely confident that your existing frames will last for the entire 10-year lifespan of your new passport!biggrin.png

A bit late when its in Liverpool, I thought it was the idea that those smart people at "trendy' checked the applications.

• Like 1

A bit late when its in Liverpool, I thought it was the idea that those smart people at "trendy' checked the applications.

Unfortunately not, this is a common misunderstanding; trendy do not check documents, they just make sure the papers are present then post them to Liverpool, who do the actual document check.

In {rare?}defence of Trendy--I did not have too long to wait for the appointment
and did not travel to Bangkok myself--the rules do allow for someone to
do it for you ,with appropriate authority/copy of appointment letter/evidence
of address etc.As I indicated,the decision on the photos seems to be a bit subjective
at least as far as facial expression is concerned but it is for Liverpool to judge on that

not Trendy. Liverpool did not send the photos back but informed me by email and when I informed them I had mailed new photos I got an almost immediate "Thank You ".

In {rare?}defence of Trendy--I did not have too long to wait for the appointment

and did not travel to Bangkok myself--the rules do allow for someone to

do it for you ,with appropriate authority/copy of appointment letter/evidence

of address etc.As I indicated,the decision on the photos seems to be a bit subjective

at least as far as facial expression is concerned but it is for Liverpool to judge on that

not Trendy. Liverpool did not send the photos back but informed me by email and when I informed them I had mailed new photos I got an almost immediate "Thank You ".

Let's hope they are NOW starting to get their act together.

Taking into account that the HMPO staff summer holidays should be over by now and their workforce is back to normal.

Trendy are getting paid as a checking service that's included in the passport fee.

In the height of this chaos a return of photos to be rectified could have added a month or more to wait for a passport renewal.

You would have thought that the Trendy staff would have at least been trained to spot a photo that would not be excepted by the HMPO

Well here is some more information i would like to share with everybody.. I was sent my Embassy letter via email they just scanned it as i requested taken around a day to be done ..

Next it has taken just over a week for supporting documents to come back to trendy house .. Am not best pleased with the whole service we have been given and have made my voice known to people higher up the ladder about everything even how vfs global deal with everything abroad .. It also amazes me how they sign for stuff so important and where some security flaws could be exploited ...

I will keep people posted with how things come on .

Next it has taken just over a week for supporting documents to come back to trendy house . >> According to an official in Liverpool, they never send original documents to Liverpool, only copies. Originals are kept at Trendy.

Hi all :),

Submitting next week, just to make sure that' I've go all the docs etc, to avoid a 1400 km return trip to Chiang Mai

1. Proof of address (translated residency cert from immigration/ backup- letter from Ed visa school)

2. Cover letter explaining the missing Naturalisation cert

3. photo evidence - PP and DL as backup

Should I include anything else ? (apart from 1. colour copies of the PP, 2. applicatoin form 3. Payment form,)

Anyone been requested for any unlisted documents? (as they did 6 years ago at the Home Office in the UK, when I submitted my application for PR - with a t£1000 premium appointment :( , I guess a demand to see the minister incharge would not go so well at Trendy)

Hi all smile.png,

Submitting next week, just to make sure that' I've go all the docs etc, to avoid a 1400 km return trip to Chiang Mai

1. Proof of address (translated residency cert from immigration/ backup- letter from Ed visa school)

Should I include anything else ? (apart from 1. colour copies of the PP, 2. applicatoin form 3. Payment form,)

Anyone been requested for any unlisted documents? (as they did 6 years ago at the Home Office in the UK, when I submitted my application for PR - with a t£1000 premium appointment sad.png , I guess a demand to see the minister incharge would not go so well at Trendy)

Your old passport should be fine for photo ID and you need one item which is less than one year old for confirmation of name at an address in Thailand.

Colour copies of the passport should be for every page.

Covering letter for lost naturalisation certificate?

Don't forget the photos.

How do you plan to pay?

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

I was advised that the confirmation of address should be a letter from the Uk to your stated Thai address--sent from eg a bank or credit card or any "official" UK site. I had a bank statement and a bookmaking firms letter.They are pernickety about photos--not at Trendy but at Lierpool--I was asked to replace mine.

• Like 1

Liverpool did not send the photos back but informed me by email and when I informed them I had mailed new photos I got an almost immediate "Thank You ".

So they didn't tell you that your new photos would be rejected on the grounds that you had mailed them direct instead of making yet another trip to With-It Tower for them to mail the photos to Liverpool! Miracles never cease to amaze me!!

• Like 2

Any recent reports of how long the application process is currently taking ?

Dropped my docs of at Trendy 6 weeks ago and received notification payment was taken (from Liverpool), 5 weeks ago......

Low and behold, just received an e mail from Trendy.......Passport is ready for collection.......

6 weeks from dropping docs off at Trendy and 5 weeks since payment was taken (from Liverpool).....

Hi all smile.png,

Anyone been requested for any unlisted documents? (as they did 6 years ago at the Home Office in the UK, when I submitted my application for PR - with a t£1000 premium appointment sad.png , I guess a demand to see the minister incharge would not go so well at Trendy)

Your old passport should be fine for photo ID and you need one item which is less than one year old for confirmation of name at an address in Thailand.

Don't forget the photos.

How do you plan to pay?

Thanks digitalchromakey :),

1. Using a translated certificate of residence from immigration as proof of address

2. For colour copies of the passport, I am hoping to use the shop located at trendy (is there one?), or should I take from here (Chiang Mai?)

3. Photos, hoping to use the shop at Trendy,

4 Paying by credit card (using the payment form), issued in the UK

Covering letter for lost naturalisation certificate? This is Only for people who were not born in the UK :) my cert is in the UK :(

I was advised that the confirmation of address should be a letter from the Uk to your stated Thai address--sent from eg a bank or credit card or any "official" UK site. I had a bank statement and a bookmaking firms letter.They are pernickety about photos--not at Trendy but at Lierpool--I was asked to replace mine.

Thanks Maccraw,

As backup I have a letter from my bank, addressed (partially) to me in Thailand.

I am hoping, the residence certificate from immigration will do the trick smile.png

Edited by falangUK

You need a colour copy of ever page in your passport--my advice is to get them done where you are--not cheap by the way. Same for your photos--dont you need someone to sign one confirming they know you?

Dont forget you need to print a copy of your appointment letter.

• Like 1

You need a colour copy of ever page in your passport--my advice is to get them done where you are--not cheap by the way. Same for your photos--dont you need someone to sign one confirming they know you?

Dont forget you need to print a copy of your appointment letter.

Scan and colour print, colour copies work out at an extortionate rate.

Why leave supporting items for the application to renew such an important identity document, why leave anything to chance?

Better surely to get all your ducks lined up well in advance.

Re red highlighted section in quote above:

A counter signature is only required if your appearance has changed substantially since your last passport was issued.

You may be asked by trendy to sign the back of one of your photos in black - check if they want you to sign or not when you are there..

• Like 2

Hi all smile.png,

Don't forget the photos.

How do you plan to pay?

Thanks digitalchromakey smile.png,

1. Using a translated certificate of residence from immigration as proof of address

2. For colour copies of the passport, I am hoping to use the shop located at trendy (is there one?), or should I take from here (Chiang Mai?)

3. Photos, hoping to use the shop at Trendy,

4 Paying by credit card (using the payment form), issued in the UK

Covering letter for lost naturalisation certificate? This is Only for people who were not born in the UK smile.png my cert is in the UK sad.png

Ok, looks like what you have lined up so far is fine.

However, why leave anything to chance?

Better surely to get all your ducks lined up well in advance of your appointment. That day could be the day when they are repainting the photography studio and/or copy shop, or the manager has closed down for a few days, or maybe they went out of business the week before - you never know.

Some one recommended a photography studio in Chiang Mai just a few pages ago on this thread..

• Like 1