Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I applied for my appointment yesterday and received a confirmation email one minute later and my appointment for next Tuesday the 25th today.

As I am renewing my passport I contacted the helpline in the UK and asked if I needed a counter signatory. They said no as long as my appearance had not changed radically.

Has anyone submitted an application recently without a counter signatory that can confirm this?

Many Thanks.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ Excellent! It appears that the 4-week wait to get an application submission appointment has evaporated. That along with phuketjocks very recent 2-week turnaround means one could possibly get a new passport in less than 3 weeks.

I may cancel my trip to the UK for my passport renewals if this keeps up!

I opened this thread earlier today, hope it is helpful to someone..

Thought I would relay my personal experience in renewing my passport at the above office

to help anyone who may be concerned about doing the same thing.

I initially went on line and downloaded the application form, credit card payment form, and

the help notes for completing the forms.

I printed out the application form and credit card payment form and duly completed same.

I sent the required e-mail to request an appointment to submit my application including

three preferred dates for them to hopefully give me one of my preferred dates.

I received an acknowledgement of my e-mail immediately and the next day, I think, I was

sent another e-mail offering me my third choice which was on the 4th of Nov AM.

The HMPO is on the 28th floor of the Trendy building on Sukumvit soi 13 and on the left coming from

Sukumvit, is not well marked but I would assess it is not more than 100 metres from Sukumvit and

it has about three entrances, all of which you can use and still easily find your destination.

In the lobby where the lifts are you will find a small stand alone desk, facing and near the entrance

door, occupied by three enthusiastic very helpful young girls. You show them your appointment letter

and they will stamp it and point you in the right direction.

On reaching the 28th floor you are faced with another reception desk where they will quickly check your

apointment letter and issue you with a queue number. You then pass through a security scanner and in

my case straight through to the application interview room, as there was no one waiting in front of me.

I was sitting opposite a very nice young lady whose english was very good and she ran through my

documents fairly quickly and efficiently, asked me one or two things to clarify a few points and that was

the application completed. I asked her how long the renewal might take and she told me fron 6 to 12 weeks.

I left the Trendy building about 20 minutes before my actual appointment time, so a fairly painless exercise

all round.

On the 17th of Nov I received a phone call from the Bangkok HMPO to inform me that my Passport was

ready for collection, and the next morning an e-mail to confirm the same. So in my case passport renewed

in 2 weeks. Hope anyone applying gets the same treatment. Well done Bangkok HMPO thanks. thumbsup.gif wai.gif

Small but important mistake in my post, the Trendy building is on the right not the left coming from

Sukumvit, sorry about that. When I was there I had no idea where the Trendy was and neither did

my taxi driver so we went way past it by several hundred metres and eventually I persuaded him to

ask someone which he did and when we had turned round and found the building I came out of the

taxi on the left hence my feeble but honest excuse for the misinformation. Again apologies. wai.gif

• Like 1

I applied for my appointment yesterday and received a confirmation email one minute later and my appointment for next Tuesday the 25th today.

As I am renewing my passport I contacted the helpline in the UK and asked if I needed a counter signatory. They said no as long as my appearance had not changed radically.

Has anyone submitted an application recently without a counter signatory that can confirm this?

Many Thanks.

I would say you will be OK tj as it says the same thing on the passport renewal application form.

Having said that I did think about going that route but as I have a friend here I thought I might as

well go sure and get a counter signature. What is the criteria on whether your appearance has

changed radically or not?? All seems a bit iffy, but if you think your appearance has not changed

very much who is to contradict you???

Many Thanks.

If you are an adult, have not grown/lost a beard/moustache or changed hairstyle, started wearing glasses, etc then you won't need a counter signatory.

Did mine in May, no counter signatory, no problem - many others have reported the same over the last six months.

Thought I would relay my personal experience in renewing my passport at the above office

I initially went on line and downloaded the application form, credit card payment form, and

I printed out the application form and credit card payment form and duly completed same.

I sent the required e-mail to request an appointment to submit my application including

I received an acknowledgement of my e-mail immediately and the next day, I think, I was

The HMPO is on the 28th floor of the Trendy building on Sukumvit soi 13 and on the left coming from

Sukumvit, is not well marked but I would assess it is not more than 100 metres from Sukumvit and

it has about three entrances, all of which you can use and still easily find your destination.

In the lobby where the lifts are you will find a small stand alone desk, facing and near the entrance

door, occupied by three enthusiastic very helpful young girls. You show them your appointment letter

On reaching the 28th floor you are faced with another reception desk where they will quickly check your

apointment letter and issue you with a queue number. You then pass through a security scanner and in

my case straight through to the application interview room, as there was no one waiting in front of me.

I was sitting opposite a very nice young lady whose english was very good and she ran through my

documents fairly quickly and efficiently, asked me one or two things to clarify a few points and that was

the application completed. I asked her how long the renewal might take and she told me fron 6 to 12 weeks.

I left the Trendy building about 20 minutes before my actual appointment time, so a fairly painless exercise

all round.

On the 17th of Nov I received a phone call from the Bangkok HMPO to inform me that my Passport was

ready for collection, and the next morning an e-mail to confirm the same. So in my case passport renewed

in 2 weeks. Hope anyone applying gets the same treatment. Well done Bangkok HMPO thanks. thumbsup.gif wai.gif

Small but important mistake in my post, the Trendy building is on the right not the left coming from

Sukumvit, sorry about that. When I was there I had no idea where the Trendy was and neither did

my taxi driver so we went way past it by several hundred metres and eventually I persuaded him to

ask someone which he did and when we had turned round and found the building I came out of the

taxi on the left hence my feeble but honest excuse for the misinformation. Again apologies. wai.gif

trendy is a brisk 2 minute walk from Nana BTS station, east along Sukhamvit then left into Soi 3, 100m down there on the right.

You can clearly see 'trendy' written on the building from the Nana Station Platform.

Probably asked and answered already:

i) Has HMPO accepted the standard letter of residence as issued by local Immigration offices for the proof of residence? This is the one that is needed for Thai DL's and visa extensions, etc.. I think it's in Thai (?) and if so it would need translated no?

Regarding a translation of the Yellow Book:

ii) Does the sworn translation that I had done in Udon need to be sighted and certified at the British Embassy? For that matter, if they do accept a translation of an Immigration letter, does that need to be sighted and certified by the British Embassy?

The above would be for renewing both mine and my 7-year old son's passports. I may be doing mine 'Priority' in the UK whereas my son's will most likely be via VFS at Trendy.

iii) Will they accept a sworn translation of the Blue Book for his proof or residence? It is the same house address as my Yellow Book.

When I get my new passport, I will (hopefully) have a couple of weeks before I file my retirement extension. The current extension is in the full/replaced and thus canceled passport:

iv) Will I need the proforma from the British Embassy 'linking' the old and new passports? If so, is there a template for that letter or is it something ad hoc that they draft at the Embassy? Does that letter need translation for submission with the extension renewal request?

Sorry for grafting on a question about retirement extensions but just hoping for one-stop answers rather than posting another thread.

Edited by NanLaew

Probably asked and answered already:

i) Has HMPO accepted the standard letter of residence as issued by local Immigration offices for the proof of residence? This is the one that is needed for Thai DL's and visa extensions, etc.. I think it's in Thai (?) and if so it would need translated no?

Regarding a translation of the Yellow Book:

ii) Does the sworn translation that I had done in Udon need to be sighted and certified at the British Embassy? For that matter, if they do accept a translation of an Immigration letter, does that need to be sighted and certified by the British Embassy?

The above would be for renewing both mine and my 7-year old son's passports. I may be doing mine 'Priority' in the UK whereas my son's will most likely be via VFS at Trendy.

iii) Will they accept a sworn translation of the Blue Book for his proof or residence? It is the same house address as my Yellow Book.

When I get my new passport, I will (hopefully) have a couple of weeks before I file my retirement extension. The current extension is in the full/replaced and thus canceled passport:

iv) Will I need the proforma from the British Embassy 'linking' the old and new passports? If so, is there a template for that letter or is it something ad hoc that they draft at the Embassy? Does that letter need translation for submission with the extension renewal request?

Sorry for grafting on a question about retirement extensions but just hoping for one-stop answers rather than posting another thread.

i) Has been accepted before, requires translation.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original)

ii) No certification required by the Embassy, just needs translator's stamp/signature..

iii) Proof of residence is for the applicant (you), not the child, however any school records/ID cards/fee receipts, medical cards., etc. (translated if necessary) you may have will further 're-enforce' the application.

iv) The pro-forma is just a basic printed from that is hand filled out by staff at the Embassy. Depends on the area you live in as to whether it is required or needs translation.

Edited by digitalchromakey

all round.

trendy is a brisk 2 minute walk from Nana BTS station, east along Sukhamvit then left into Soi 3, 100m down there on the right.

You can clearly see 'trendy' written on the building from the Nana Station Platform.

Sukhumvit soi 13 mate, not 3.

all round.

Sukhumvit soi 13 mate, not 3.

You are absolutely correct trendy is at Sukhamvit Soi 13, typo - my bad.

Many Thanks.

Yes, I have on the 5th Nov.

I was asked to write a letter to HMPO in Liverpool explaining that I have lived in Thailand for 6 years following my retirement and therefore had no, lawyer etc to act as a counter sig' here.

I also supplied letters from HMRC with my Thai address on confirming my UK Govt pension etc.

Also for lost or stolen passport applications you need a certified English translation of the Thai police report for Liverpool, 1000 THB in one of the companies on the ground floor of the Trendy Bldg will provide in around 1 hour.

This was sufficient as my passport arrived within 2 weeks.

Many Thanks.

If you are an adult, have not grown/lost a beard/moustache or changed hairstyle, started wearing glasses, etc then you won't need a counter signatory.

Did mine in May, no counter signatory, no problem - many others have reported the same over the last six months.

Many thanks. I actually called twice and spoke to two dirrerent people to confirm.

But hey this is Thailand, who knows!!

Edited by ubonjoe
Moved reply to quote.

^ Excellent! It appears that the 4-week wait to get an application submission appointment has evaporated. That along with phuketjocks very recent 2-week turnaround means one could possibly get a new passport in less than 3 weeks.

I may cancel my trip to the UK for my passport renewals if this keeps up!

I also applied yesterday to submit my son's passport renewal application and got an appointment for 3 December 2014.

Many Thanks.

In my son's case, his passport was issued when he was 18 months old. It expired long ago and he is now finally renewing it, or rather I am doing it for him. He is now 25 so there is a little difference in his then and now appearance. Counter signatory essential in this case.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm the email address at VFS for making a request for appointment dates.

[email protected]

Is this correct? I emailed them with 3 prefered dates back in early October and they never responded. That was for my sons passport. Now planning doing his and mine middle of next month since turnaround times seem to have been given a boost.

Thanks,

NL

Just to confirm the email address at VFS for making a request for appointment dates.

[email protected]

Is this correct? I emailed them with 3 prefered dates back in early October and they never responded. That was for my sons passport. Now planning doing his and mine middle of next month since turnaround times seem to have been given a boost.

Thanks,

NL

Correct - there have been several reports of quick appointment responses within the last couple of weeks.

Remember that English is by no means the first language employed at trendy so do keep the email super simple; just name, nature of application, date/time 1, 2, 3 yours etc.

Current passport turnarounds are running at 2-3 weeks from appointment.

Good News from putting paper in at trendy office to return of passport to trendy 12 days,17 nov papers in 28 nov passport ready for collection.

seem most of the problems are sorted now but if only trendy issued the letter for a new passport there instead of having to trail round to the UK embassy to get on but all in all cant complain.

Is the Trendy appointment email address still the same...?............smile.png

Yes,it's still the same email address.

And they are still their efficient selves, as I gave them a months notice to renew my sons passport for a afternoon appointment,

They gave me a morning appointment for January 2014

• Like 2

To find out any changes in the Trendy passport application procedure including any change in their email address one has to lock 'online' at "Gov. UK" in order to find out any updated matters.

The actual web page of concern is:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand

To find out any changes in the Trendy passport application procedure including any change in their email address one has to lock 'online' at "Gov. UK" in order to find out any updated matters.

The actual web page of concern is:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand

The one to actually make an appointment is [email protected]

Just done it.......smile.png

For UK passport renewal how would someone show proof of thai address when on a tourist visa?

You can't get residency certificate when on tourist visa.

Does a house rental contract work?

One option is copy of visa but i don't understand how that proves address?

Another option is medical/health card, is that something you can just go and get at a thai hospital and use for this?

Totally newbie question on this thread so be gentle with me!! It has probably been answered already somewhere but there are 98 pages.... ( I made it throughout the first 10!!)

I need to renew my Uk passport as 10 years are up in June 2015.

I live in chiang mai and I know that I will have to go to Bangkok in person to do this and that's fine. I'm flying there anyway on the 5 th jan for a few days so hoping to get an appointment for them, but what do I do about getting back ?? It might sound silly but I've never flown anywhere without having a passport before, even on uk domestic flights I have taken I've used passport as ID.

Do I keep my 'old passport' to use as ID or does it have to be left in Bangkok ?

What other document ( if any) is valid for flying internally in Thailand? Or will I have to get the train/bus back ( and then again to collect it).

I looked on a couple of airline websites and they say 'valid ID' but don't mention what the valid ID's are.

Once again apologies for asking but I really have no idea!!

Edited by Hillywilly

Hi Hillywilly

you can also fly in thailand on your thai driving lic as that is what i used when i went down and back to Bangkok trendy office good luck and if your booking a hotel the citrus is about 200 mts up the street from trendy (clean secure and next to trendy)thumbsup.gif

Do you have rental contract ? If so, take it - if it's in Thai get it translated on the ground floor at trendy.

Get a photocopy or photocopies and attach to your application.

The photocopies you refer to above are they be produced by a team on the ground floor at Trendy, and are the photos done at the requested HMPO photo-size for passport applicants ...

Please let us know.